anybody have an ARB picture? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anybody have a picture of an ARB anti-inversion plate on the rear leaf springs so I can see how its welded and where to put it so its perfect:p?
thanks

when I bought mine it didnt come as one piece as I think that is what you have.........pictures wouls still be nice tho..:)

Not sure I have any good photos of mine and I can't take any right now. I did find one but it's not a close up (attached).

Here is a link that shows the ARB, rear anti-inversion shackles. They basically just have an ear built into one side at the top which prevents the shackle from inverting.

4X4REVIEW.COM: Old Man Emu Dakar Leaf Springs
ARB rear shackle.JPG

thanks guys for the help, But I bought mine in mid 90's its a triangle part.
wardamneagle yours looks close could you get another picture sometime?

thanks guys for the help, But I bought mine in mid 90's its a triangle part.
wardamneagle yours looks close could you get another picture sometime?

Not until the end of July. I'm in England until then. Sorry.

Why don't you post some pics of what you're trying to do and maybe we can help.

Mine is just a reqtangle shape shackle with a triangle part that gets welded on to it. I need to know where to position it then weld it
thanks

Oh.... I'd say put the shackle on, get the axle at full droop, jack the tire back up an inch or so, and position the weld on part where it will stop the shackle from popping forward.... But that's just a guess. Are these shackles a universal type thing?

The OME anti-inversion shackles and anti-inversion plates are very different. The anti-inversion shackles (also greasable) are the complete replacement shackles and have the anti-inversion built in. In the case of earlier 40's its a tab on one plate side of the shackle as shown. In the case of the later 40/60's its a triangle style shackle using the middle pin to prevent inversion.

The anti-inversion plate welds to the frame, with the flat spot towards the shackle, in a manner so that it prevents the shackle from getting to an angle at which it could cause the spring to invert.

Hope that helps.. I probably have some pics on my work computer, if I can dig them up I'll post them.

ok, so how far away does it need to be welded? how much forward motion does the shackle need?

your forward motion limits how far the axle goes down. and since thats where most of the travel happens in our leaf sprung suspensions you want it to go as far forward as possible without actually inverting. if your spring and shackle mounts are the correct distance this just flat out isnt a problem. But when you muck with them or the springs to try and get extra down travel then you can possibly invert your shackles.

So first of all if you have stock mounting positions and anything under a 3 inch lift, you just don't need these at all. but if its something custom do exactly what 2nd gen said to do. lift your truck so the suspension is at full droop take up a bit of slack and weld em on like so. But this is still kind of a quick fix that slightly limits your suspension travel.

The fact of the matter is that if there is a possibility of your spring inverting, you need larger shackles and if you just go get or make some larger shackles you will alleviate the need for anti inversion shackles, and you will get more down travel. Less your doing something strange like a weird double shackle thing or other, but if your doing that your into something serious anyway.

...So first of all if you have stock mounting positions and anything under a 3 inch lift, you just don't need these at all. but if its something custom do exactly what 2nd gen said to do. lift your truck so the suspension is at full droop take up a bit of slack and weld em on like so. But this is still kind of a quick fix that slightly limits your suspension travel.

The fact of the matter is that if there is a possibility of your spring inverting, you need larger shackles and if you just go get or make some larger shackles you will alleviate the need for anti inversion shackles, and you will get more down travel. Less your doing something strange like a weird double shackle thing or other, but if your doing that your into something serious anyway.

Hmmm, not sure I fully agree with that line of thinking. I can cite several personal experiences with stock length shackles on 2-3" lifts that have suffered inversions, and likewise I can cite experiences with extended shackle inversions too. I think "most" would probably be just find without the anti-inversion plates, but is it worth the risk? I personally don't think so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom