Any one lifted their FJ55? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What is the best way to lift 2-3 "? Who is a supplier? I have 32x11.50s and would like a little more clearence. I didn't see any specifically listed in CCOT or SOR.

Jim
:confused:

Thanks I'll try a search

Come on down to the trough : )

https://forum.ih8mud.com/forumdisplay.php?f=51

search for lift kits, there is pig specific threads on the subject.

I can tell you Alcan will make specified springs to order. MAF has a 4" kit that takes a while to break in and rides like it. Ironmansuspension is used by some. There is lotsa information. I had the MAF lift, rode very hard but could handle a load. It was pricey per the PO.

SOA SOA SOA SOA.

Which some mispronounce to sound like SuuuuuuIIIIeeee.

;)

Mark...

X2 on the SOA, as I said I went from a MAF lift to SO and it is the way to go... do it once, seems eventually most everyone wants to run at least 35's.... the SO ride is great, flexes like crazy, and you can use the stock springs.

what all needs to be altered besides the perches?:confused: I started out wanting to do SOA. But was afraid it would be more top heavy to a noticable degree.

Jim

SOR offers a 2 1/2 inch lift spring for the 55.

http://www.sor.com/sor/cat287b.tam?xax=6561

Add some shackles and you can get your lift.

I have a 55 with a 4" lift with shackle reversal. Ride is nice.

I will be going SOA with my other 55. However, it is running 33 x 10.50's with stock lift.

what all needs to be altered besides the perches?:confused: I started out wanting to do SOA. But was afraid it would be more top heavy to a noticable degree.

Jim
Howdy! SOA is the ONLY way!! Much more work, darn well worth it. I did mine 19 years ago, and I luv it. I don't sweat the top heavy issue, and I even carry my spare on the roof!!! If your going to be on the hyway a lot, do a cut and turn on the front axle. I did. John

Jim

Perches, longer brake lines, rotate the front axle to correct the caster, likey you'll want high steer arms to move the steering over the springs, longer shocks and possibly using different mounts, a rear trac(antiwrap) bar, sure I am missing some other things.... here are some pics of the process:

PROCESS

wayneraintree, please elaborate on rotating the axle to correct the camber puleeze. :eek:
Jim

I have the Man a Breath 4" and it is awful. Have had it for 5-6 years and the springs never flattened out. Just removed 2 leaves 2 weeks ago and the ride is much better.[rear only] My shackle angle is still tilted inboard [wrong way] but is closer to vertical which improved the ride alot.

SOA with stock springs, or any other recommended or reputable manufacturer is the way to go.
Just PLEASE, don't do the Man a Breath route.
Oxymoron : customer service Good Luck and keep posted

We put the Man-a-Fre 4" lift on 1 1/2 years ago and they work great. Maybe too soon to tell if they are going to sag, but the ride is nice. Maybe i got a good set. I did it because of price at the time, and no regrets yet. They flexed well when we wheeled in Moab. Good luck.

I've had two and a half 2.5" spring setups.

1) Alcan (heavily overbuilt)
2) Man-a-fre
3) Man-a-fre fronts Alcan rears

1) the Alcans were really stiff, but that's what I asked them to be. 300lbs over on the front, 600lbs over on the rear. Did fine for what I asked them to do.

2) The PO of the truck noticed how much the springs were sagging after only a few years. He rebuilt all the packs with an add-a-leaf. The fronts rides okay, but the rears started to sag bad. Here's a picture (it's the one with the roof rack). Sagging with no weight in the back.
attachment.php

I eventually gave the springs away to another forum member who rebuilt them and used them for stock height springs. Enough said.

3) I had Alcan build another spring set for the rears, 400lbs over stock and an inch longer on the shackle end. I REALLY like these springs. They ride well, flex well, and still carry the weight.

I would order Alcans again. They usually run $205 for rear springs and $200 for the front.

As for SOA, I think that's a very viable option if you're going to run big tires. I never really needed the rubber or the height for my type of wheeling.

Well, I also have the Man-A-Fre 4" Safari lift and I know a lot of folks on this forum poo-poo them. They seemed to be working well for me. I have run them on my trail pig/occasional driver pig for over five years and they have not seemed to sag. They seem to flex well enough also. I don't wheel with them as much as others perhaps, but this rig gets loaded up with a bunch of stuff often-yard and construction debris, camping gear, lots of folks and dogs, etc. The ride is a bit firm still when driving around town unloaded, but as soon as I drive with a slight load or rally offroad it puts a big 'ol grin on my face. Price was reasonable and not too complicated since it was a complete kit. I purchased the OME shocks with mine and I think they help also.

Anyway, I have also thought about the SO option for the future but haven't quite crossed over to the 'Dark Side' yet...All that being said, Alcans sound like the best way to go for a custom SUA lift and I have been looking at that option for my other pig-I think I want to go smaller than 4" so I am looking at options also. Oh, and I am by no means an expert at any of this. :)
IMG_0896 copy.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom