Any one lifted their FJ55? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

boy!.....decisions decisions....at least I have plenty of options.
I suppose the best way might be to take my springs to the local spring shop and have them re arched and 2 or 3 inches added to the arch. I have a wholesale connection through work there.

Jim

boy!.....decisions decisions....at least I have plenty of options.
I suppose the best way might be to take my springs to the local spring shop and have them re arched and 2 or 3 inches added to the arch. I have a wholesale connection through work there.

Jim

That's what I think I have decided to do as well. The shop here quoted me $400 to take them off, re-arch, and add a leaf. Of course, I'll take them off, take them over, and then put them on, so I am hoping to reduce that price by half. Quite the deal I think. I don't need a lot of lift, just a little ooompf to fit 31" tires on mine. I don't think my little F engine could handle much more.

k9crazy, I have the weber and a header with 32x11.50 and 4:10 diff, i've got power to burn on the road but no top end I turn the 32 really well but at interstate speed turning a lot of rpm's. I'm gonna call the spring shop here for a price Monday.
BTW I have two boxers a male and female.

Jim
just plain crazy:rolleyes:

That's good to hear. I have a similar set up, but hope to go back to an aisin at some point. The engine still needs work, so I can probably get more power as I learn to tweak things. A valve is making noise and the timing seems to be off. Ahh...but engine work is later, now is the time to kill the rust...and get some springs to lift this baby up a little.

Boxers are cool...always have liked thier little smooshy faces!

I am no expert but to tell you about the 'cut and turn': (there are lots of discussions on this via the search function) the housing is cut on the end and rotated to correct the caster angle caused by the new placement height of the springs. It rotates the pinion to face the trasfer case for a positive angle. Defined as:

"the angle that the kingpin makes with the vertical. Automobiles are usually designed with the upper end of the kingpin inclined rearward (positive caster) for improved directional stability."

Here is a picture.

cutandturned.sized.jpg

Spring over lifts are not just for large tires. I pull a small trailer around with my 55, wheel it hard, drive it around town and it really does ride like a dream if done properly. You can easily run 34's with a SO (not a huge tire) and look proportionate. On the other hand, you can run 36's (in my experience) if you want now or down the road. It is a flexible option, it is a lot of work, it is priceless in certain situations and a non-factor in others. I really like it and know other pig owners who used to say no to SO, now saying that it is a great set up. If you are not going to wheel it much, then rearching with AAL's would last for a while. You could easily use your stock springs over as they sit with just adding two stock leaves in the rear and one in the front. Worked for me. I look forward to seeing pics of your progress whichever way you go:beer:

What is the best way to lift 2-3 "? Who is a supplier?

*Best or least costly & a cheapy bolt on? I'd give an overwhelming nod to coil springs, but you gotta have time, skills & $$ to achieve the *best lift IMO. Do you plan on DDing the rig? You can have a high COG w/ SOA or buy a kidney belt & run SUA. Don't run add-a-leafs if you're thinkin extra cheap bolt on for minmum lift.

Do you plan on DDing the rig?

I don't understand.

Cheep is good but not necessary. I have many other issues to address before the lift unless I decide the springs have sagged. Since its a 71 i'm gonna assume they are sagged quite a bit so rearching or replacing is in order first. I'll then check the stance, if mny clearence is ok I may wait and do a soa when its time for new meats. The soa seems to get the most votes for performance and ride.

Do you plan on DDing the rig?

I don't understand.

DAILY DRIVER.....

The soa seems to get the most votes for performance and ride.

That's because A - they've never ridden in a coil equipped rig. B - some choose to jump on the SOA turnip truck. Or C - satisfied with a factory FJ type suspension. There is a D, but I'll offend some leaf springers with that one..... It's your rig man so stay with the stockish stuff if ya wanna....

C'mon Chuck, what's option d???????

Seems like fastjim is getting the full spectrum of suspension opinions, which is good. Might as well not hold out on an option : )

Rearching and going SOA if you need in the future seems like a good compromise.

SUA Kits require the least amount of tools and fab skills.

SOA requires some tools and fab skills.

Link type suspensions seems to require a significant amount of tools and skills.
That might explain why A. there aren't that many coil equipped rigs (though it would be nice if there were for all of our backs). B. the SOA turnip truck is not that hard to jump on and do yourself and the payback is large compared to SUA (subjective, I know) and C. stockers are stockers

Well, I also have the Man-A-Fre 4" Safari lift and I know a lot of folks on this forum poo-poo them. They seemed to be working well for me. I have run them on my trail pig/occasional driver pig for over five years and they have not seemed to sag. They seem to flex well enough also. I don't wheel with them as much as others perhaps, but this rig gets loaded up with a bunch of stuff often-yard and construction debris, camping gear, lots of folks and dogs, etc. The ride is a bit firm still when driving around town unloaded, but as soon as I drive with a slight load or rally offroad it puts a big 'ol grin on my face. Price was reasonable and not too complicated since it was a complete kit. I purchased the OME springs with mine and I think they help also.

Anyway, I have also thought about the SO option for the future but haven't quite crossed over to the 'Dark Side' yet...All that being said, Alcans sound like the best way to go for a custom SUA lift and I have been looking at that option for my other pig-I think I want to go smaller than 4" so I am looking at options also. Oh, and I am by no means an expert at any of this. :)
I Believe the reason your ride is good and you are satisfied is due to the OME springs. My springs are just WAY too short. The shackles are on the inverted side. I'm glad to hear that you did the right thing and got the OME.
Cruise On!

Thanks for explaining daily driver. ;p My rig is not a daily driver, I do have antique tags on it so I can get to and from our local wheeling spots.:)
Yes, do tell what is option "D" I'm looking at all the options and learning a lot I might add.:bounce:

I Believe the reason your ride is good and you are satisfied is due to the OME springs. My springs are just WAY too short. The shackles are on the inverted side. I'm glad to hear that you did the right thing and got the OME.
Cruise On!

Oops. I meant I purchased OME shocks- not springs. I apologize for any confusion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom