Any idea what this noise is? 2013 Land Cruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The loud clatter that sounds like a wrench left in a clothes dryer.

I still believe that the 2UZ is a better engine than the 3UR. The only issue it really has is cracked exhaust manifolds.

Ah. Probably because putting it in gear lowers the idle and interrupts the harmonic stuff going on with the chain.

"Better" depends on priorities. Most of the 2UZs made 150 less horsepower than the 3UR, while getting even worse mileage. Many people objectively couldn't do what they do with their 200 if it had so little power. These chain issues are a downstream consequence of toyota trying to reduce maintenance and engine length (and perhaps ironically, noise) by ditching belts.. At least they aren't on the back of the engine as is getting more and more common.

Last edited:
Both 2UZ and 3UR are miles ahead of the Ford stuff. Every one of my F150 owning friends has dealt with or are in the midst of dealing with cam phaser rattle issues. All of them less than half the age of my car. That's not a cheap fix.

It does say timing tensioners, if that is the problem.
Problem is my local shop was unable to reproduce the issue so they said they would have pretty much zero chance of having my warranty cover the $5k cost even if they supplied my video. They suggested taking it to Toyota and see with their Land Cruiser knowledge they could get it to reproduce then leverage my warranty.

Problem is my local shop was unable to reproduce the issue so they said they would have pretty much zero chance of having my warranty cover the $5k cost even if they supplied my video. They suggested taking it to Toyota and see with their Land Cruiser knowledge they could get it to reproduce then leverage my warranty.
You won’t find Land Cruiser knowledge at Toyota.

I also would not trust a 3rd part shop/warranty to cover or perform the work.

I suggest leaving it.

You won’t find Land Cruiser knowledge at Toyota.

I also would not trust a 3rd part shop/warranty to cover or perform the work.

I suggest leaving it.
There will be 3UR knowledge at toyota due to their use in Tundra & Sequoia, and those have definitely had the same issue.

My LX does the same thing on a cold start. Tundra forums have a lot of info also saying its usually always the driver side timing chain tensioner. Only happens when the engine is cold. I have also never read anything regarding any kind of failure pertaining to this noise.

My honest guess is some tiny oil passages get slightly clogged up and doesn't flow oil very well when cold. The 10k mile oil changes they suggest probably doesn't help either.

My LX does the same thing on a cold start. Tundra forums have a lot of info also saying its usually always the driver side timing chain tensioner. Only happens when the engine is cold. I have also never read anything regarding any kind of failure pertaining to this noise.

My honest guess is some tiny oil passages get slightly clogged up and doesn't flow oil very well when cold. The 10k mile oil changes they suggest probably doesn't help either.
This is where I am at.

The fact that your 2016 does it means that Toyota didnt feel it was necessary to change/update the part seeing as the 3UR started life in 2008 Tundras and 200s.

This is where I am at.

The fact that your 2016 does it means that Toyota didnt feel it was necessary to change/update the part seeing as the 3UR started life in 2008 Tundras and 200s.
I have read that Toyota did eventually update the tensioner assembly, but no clue where that date cutoff is. Supposedly if you install the current parts it has been addressed, but I think we’d need more people racking up mileage on those parts to be sure.

Is this a Toyota service contract or an aftermarket? Make sure to read all the fine print about maintenance required for them to cover anything most aftermarket SC will have some kind of required services and documentation. In the years I worked for a major dealer I have seen get denied coz they didn't follow or missed a few maintenance required by the contract.

Still happens to me on 5W30 :(
Try a different brand of oil. My engine has been noisy until fully warm for a few years. With both 5W30 Mobil One and Valvoline full synthetic the engine was noisy again after the first few hundred miles after an oil change. I tried some SeaFoam in the crankcase right before an oil change once and it stayed quiet for at least a thousand miles. The last two changes I’ve used 5W30 Castrol full synthetic Euro formula and at least 80% of the noise stays gone until the next oil change. I’m going to keep using it.

Is this a Toyota service contract or an aftermarket? Make sure to read all the fine print about maintenance required for them to cover anything most aftermarket SC will have some kind of required services and documentation. In the years I worked for a major dealer I have seen get denied coz they didn't follow or missed a few maintenance required by the contract.
ASC warranty. I've never had a problem with them. Knock on wood!

Update: Toyota said the noise was engine lifters and the warranty company is going to cover the $3k bill!
That’s an incorrect diagnosis. I highly advise against a shop pulling apart your engine. Do not think you’re “getting something” for your warranty.

The correct diagnosis is the driver side timing chain tensioner.

I asked about the timing belt multiple times and they said it’s a non-issue.
Yeah, because the 3UR doesn’t have a timing belt, it has a timing chain.

It is the timing chain tensioner.

Please do a google search and watch videos on YouTube. Dozens of documented issues with the EXACT same noise as yours. It’s very easy to diagnose and hear.

They'll have the entire front of the engine apart. Ask if they plan to reuse the tensioners and chains.. if so, consider paying for those parts out of pocket while they have it apart. Or see if the dealer can write them up as necessary.

They'll have the entire front of the engine apart. Ask if they plan to reuse the tensioners and chains.. if so, consider paying for those parts out of pocket while they have it apart. Or see if the dealer can write them up as necessary.
Why do you think this is a good idea? Serious question.

Why do you think this is a good idea? Serious question.
I never said it's a good idea, but it is probably the best of the available options. Pretty sure they're doing it independent of your or my advice. That said, it's an opportunity for a person without the skills to do it themselves to have the relevant parts changed, with a warranty. If it were my rig I'd be doing the work, but most people can't do that. This will most likely be done by a higher skilled tech as well.

Also it doesn't require head removal or anything I'd consider super finicky about how it's done for long-term reliability. Worst I can see them messing up is the timing chain cover RTV.. which yeah I wouldn't want to deal with, but that's not gonna grenade the engine if it doesn't hold up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom