Anatomy of a Rabbit Hole (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Green Bean

GOLD Star
Threads
It is kind of like pulling a loose thread on a sweater... I noticed a pea-sized rock chip on the front hood. The chip had penetrated through the clear coat, finish paint through past the primer. No problem I thought. I'll just fill and touch it up I foolishly thought. The result was less than satisfactory... kind of like popping a zit on the tip of your nose on prom night. The spray clear coat looked really terrible and resulted in some overspray. Now the original pea-sized rock chip had morphed into a blemish that seemed to affect half the hood. Tried polish compound and wet sanding with 1800 to no avail. So what to do? No problem, as any Mudder knows, obstacles are just an opportunity to purchase more tools. Purchased a Rupes random orbital polisher, microfiber pads, compound, polish, and an assortment of accoutrements. Then made the awful mistake of watching a ton of YouTube videos. Back to the trusty computer to buy a foam cannon, clay bar, and more unneeded and totally unnecessary stuff. By this time I'm thinking this really is a sickness. Not to worry, however, more research reveals that I've been washing our microfiber towels all wrong. Who knew there was such thing as microfiber detergent? It is on the way along with a rolling cart to store all of this crap on! Next time, I hope that I have the sense to just leave the stupid rock chip alone. By the way, if anyone needs their car detailed, I know a guy.

i respectfully disagree. i use mine off road but not as a rock crawler. i still like it to look good when i’m in town though and the more exposed metal you have the more rust problems can occur. i would be fixing nicks and dings as best as i can too. rust will kill my vehicles where i live for sure so i try to keep on top of those “little” spots!

My cruiser has had 3 engines. First one pulled out for a 4 speed swap. Second one was pulled out in favor of a “modern marvel”. All engines ran well at the time of there removal. Repeat after me “this one isn’t going to be pulled for blank.” Maybe?

I really suggest removing the body and checking for rust.

While you're there, repaint the frame, rebuild the entire drivetrain from engine to axles, replumb the brake lines, new shocks, tires, lift kit, seats, paint, headliner, and all new OEM rubber weatherstripping.

It would also be a good opportunity to introduce some 4plus products to the equation.

While you're there, repaint the frame, rebuild the entire drivetrain from engine to axles, replumb the brake lines, new shocks, tires, lift kit, seats, paint, headliner, and all new OEM rubber weatherstripping.

It would also be a good opportunity to introduce some 4plus products to the equation.
don’t forget new tires and a winch!! new tires always look good with new paint 🤣

oh and a heater rebuild. that’s kind of mandatory. thats a lot to do in one week!

Don’t forget to check that the proper bolts are in the proper location for the parking brake backing plate.

don’t forget new tires and a winch!! new tires always look good with new paint 🤣

oh and a heater rebuild. that’s kind of mandatory. thats a lot to do in one week!
Check the date code on the tires you bought at the beginning of the resto and make sure to change if they are getting old, even if you don’t have it on the road yet.

Check the date code on the tires you bought at the beginning of the resto and make sure to change if they are getting old, even if you don’t have it on the road yet.

Ouch.... That one hit a little too close to home

A 40 series that’s been blown apart(the easy part) takes up about 3.5 garages across at least 2 counties.
🎟🍿🍺- Do tell.🤣

Two people, me and @Jdc1 can dig a rabbit hole deeper and faster than one. Supposed to be a trail truck quickly morphed in to just a driver morphed into best available morphed into wtf let’s just do everything the two of us agree that as long as we’re this deep let’s see if there’s a bottom to this hole

Two people, me and @Jdc1 can dig a rabbit hole deeper and faster than one. Supposed to be a trail truck quickly morphed in to just a driver morphed into best available morphed into wtf let’s just do everything the two of us agree that as long as we’re this deep let’s see if there’s a bottom to this hole
Land Cruiser is now a Lawn Cruiser

It is kind of like pulling a loose thread on a sweater... I noticed a pea-sized rock chip on the front hood. The chip had penetrated through the clear coat, finish paint through past the primer. No problem I thought. I'll just fill and touch it up I foolishly thought. The result was less than satisfactory... kind of like popping a zit on the tip of your nose on prom night. The spray clear coat looked really terrible and resulted in some overspray. Now the original pea-sized rock chip had morphed into a blemish that seemed to affect half the hood. Tried polish compound and wet sanding with 1800 to no avail. So what to do? No problem, as any Mudder knows, obstacles are just an opportunity to purchase more tools. Purchased a Rupes random orbital polisher, microfiber pads, compound, polish, and an assortment of accoutrements. Then made the awful mistake of watching a ton of YouTube videos. Back to the trusty computer to buy a foam cannon, clay bar, and more unneeded and totally unnecessary stuff. By this time I'm thinking this really is a sickness. Not to worry, however, more research reveals that I've been washing our microfiber towels all wrong. Who knew there was such thing as microfiber detergent? It is on the way along with a rolling cart to store all of this crap on! Next time, I hope that I have the sense to just leave the stupid rock chip alone. By the way, if anyone needs their car detailed, I know a guy.
this seems like a microcosm of my whole build thread haha.

Cosmetics on a real working 4 WD is a waste of money.
@charliemyer007 I understand this. But as @franklin40 pointed out I believe there are at least two schools of thought. Certainly, there are those who wheel there vehicles on a regular basis and a bash against a tree or boulder here and there can be viewed as just adding a bit of character or patina to their rig. For these, a wash, or heaven forbid a wax, would be mere folly. Funny thing is I have a 1999 F25 that falls squarely into this camp. Paint is falling off in chunks on the hood. It lives outside and is often covered in bird poop. We take it to the beach on a regular basis, the dog rides in the back seat which is covered with a sand, drool mixture that is akin to cement, and the undercarriage looks the part. I guess you could call it a "beater," but so far it has proven quite reliable.
In contrast, however, I prefer to keep the 40 looking as sharp as possible postponing for as long as I can its eventual demise into rust. Probably there is a vanity aspect to this, but I admit that there is satisfaction when folks stop and say "nice looking Jeep," or something to that effect. So, I will probably keep taking the best care of it as I can even if it involves an occasional detail. Kind of like giving the old girl a trip to the spa for a Botox injection. :)

Okay, following up here on the results: It has been rainy and not ideal weather, so perfect for lots of garage time. The first time doing a complete detail job and it took way too much time.
Day 1:
Wash with foam cannon and Mr. Pink Foaming Car Wash Soap; 2-bucket method with Cyclone Dirty Trap grids in buckets, and Chenille Premium Scratch-Free Microfiber Wash mitt;
Dry with Drying Agent (Lucent Spray Shine Synthetic Spray Wax) and Woolly Mammoth Microfiber Drying Towel;
Day 2:
Remove contaminates by claying vehicle with IPELY Car Clay Bar Auto Detailing Magic Car Clay Bar Auto Detailing Cleaner and Clay Luber Synthetic Lubricant;
After clay, wipe down with microfiber towel and Wipe Out Surface Cleanser Spray (IPA -based product)
Begin cutting process for removing swirls, using random orbital polisher (DA). Start with Orange HexLogic Medium Cutting Pad and V36 Optical Grade Cutting Polish. Work in 2'x2' areas and wipe off with clean microfiber towel. Use liberal Polishing & Buffing Pad Conditioner to pad to moisten
Polish with DA with White Hex-Logic Light-Medium Polishing Pad and V38 Optical Grade Cutting Polish compound to pad.
Day 3
Wipe down vehicle with IPA solution to remove any left over residue from polish
Apply Carbon Force Ceramic coating and wipe off with clean microfiber towel
Clean windshield and windows with 90% IPA

01.23.2024.Detail.6.jpg

01.23.2024.Detail.2.jpg

01.23.2024.Detail.5.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom