Builds An Accidental Frame Off.................. (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So, you think it wasn't a spring pack shim issue as much as it was a pinon bearing problem?

I think one lead to the other. With the rear pinion flange being out of alignment with the transfer case it was causing some vibration on the driveshaft. That vibration and the fact that I do drive it 65-70 mph a lot probably wrecked the rear pinion bearing.

Now that everything is back in alignment and tight I'll have to go drive around and enjoy it!

In the meantime, I'm putting the add a leaf back in the rear pack. I noticed when I'm fully loaded it squats more than I want it to.

Hopefully none of my pinion angles shift again. I don't think it should, my measurements for the shims where taken with the add a leaf in place.

How many bottles does that rack hold? Is it spring loaded? Hold ice or electrically cooled?

Don't admire my paint job, it's about as amateur as it gets!

I used about a half dozen harbor freight paimt guns, after the first couple I just quit cleaning them. Toss em in the can and open a new one.

The compressor is a different story, it's an Ingersoll Rand 80 gallon 5 hp unit, way more flow than necessary, but I bought it as a long term tool.
Thanks for the info. Will post pics as I make progress!

No, that Riversmith rack. It’s a beer cooler, right? Fly rods should be in your hands on the river, not in a rack, anyhow :p.

(Those are great racks)

No, that Riversmith rack. It’s a beer cooler, right? Fly rods should be in your hands on the river, not in a rack, anyhow :p.

(Those are great racks)

The Riversmith rack is the 2 banger rod rack for my fly rods. I've been strapping my rods to my roof rack when I run forest service roads for a while, now they can remain a little more secure! And I can leave them rigged when I stop in town for stuff, no more disassembling them for runs down the big road.

Mounted and ready for rods.

@Solace in Solitude here's the solution!
20200524_123553.jpg
20200524_123542.jpg

Looks to be a bad pinion bearing. Based on how easy the stake nut came off and the flange kind of fell off in my hand I'm going to say it was 100% mechanic error when I put it back together a few years back.
View attachment 2308692

Hopefully they aren't Harbor Freight jackstands, also you need to fill that big hole up in the diff LOL, and how many of those Porters were involved with the original install? Good luck buddy, hope everything goes well for you.

One of these days I'm inviting myself up to your place for fly fishing lessons... I'll bring a load of Black Butte Porter...
Your 40. Your photos. Ugh...

Cool! I always wondered what those Bangalore Torpedoes would look like on the FJ40. It doesn’t overhang too much. I wish they made the Rod Vaults for switch and Spey rods.

Actually Riversmith is now making an extended version of their River Quiver that holds longer rods, I’ll dig up a link when I hit my desk this morning.

Regarding the look of the River Quiver on my 40, I had originally planned to cut the front section down 12” to only accommodate 9’ rods, but I went out and bought a 10’ 6wt right before I decided to go ahead and buy the River Quiver. I’m thinking it would have looked a little better cut down.

@tacocat

Extended model for rods up to 11' 4"

One of these days I'm inviting myself up to your place for fly fishing lessons... I'll bring a load of Black Butte Porter...
Your 40. Your photos. Ugh...

I’ll bring some Moxie because alcohol and me do not mix well :meh:

I love seeing your thread

Thanks Rocky. That's a 10 footer? Even better. They are priced pretty well. Too bad the Riversmiths don't have an option for long lower handles. I use a switch rod quite a bit out west. If I make the jump from an 80 to a 40, I won't be able to stuff a fully setup Spey rod inside anymore.

My 80 is fun, but it's just so much wasted space.

@tacocat

Extended model for rods up to 11' 4"

10k since I started it in 2017 after the rebuild.

20200706_203023.jpg

Also saw this one across the bridge.
20200706_202257.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back
    Top Bottom