Builds An Accidental Frame Off..................

rkymtnflyfisher

Big Government Sucks
SILVER Star

I'm no expert at any of this but according to the literature I have at hand these marks appear to be acceptable!

Coast
20200522_161215.jpg

Drive
20200522_161206.jpg

rkymtnflyfisher

Big Government Sucks
SILVER Star

Needs to be more centered if you can.. What is your back lash? Did you happen to measure before you took it apart or run a pattern?

There was no way to measure backlash before I pulled the pinion, it was just flopping around like a fish out of water.

Backlash now was right at 7 thousands. I pulled it all apart again this afternoon because the pinion was too deep (based on the paint check) I removed a 5 thousands shim from the stack and the last pics are what I came up with afterwards.

Based on the sheet that came with my kit, that is an acceptable pattern, I do agree it would be nice to see the drive pattern more in the middle.

Lock-right for the rear?

View attachment 2309406
So I spent the dollars on my 40 ($2100 installed while my rear end was gone through) and put and Auburn LSD in the rear. I’m extremely happy with it. No popping, snapping, or crunching when turning tight and my tires slip maybe 50% of a rotation before it engages. If you can, I 100% recommend it. Also, open up that rod holder, I am a curious creature. And have you considered going to a Tenkara style fly fishing to circumvent the storage problem? I ordered a rod to give it a go.

rkymtnflyfisher

Big Government Sucks
SILVER Star

So I spent the dollars on my 40 ($2100 installed while my rear end was gone through) and put and Auburn LSD in the rear. I’m extremely happy with it. No popping, snapping, or crunching when turning tight and my tires slip maybe 50% of a rotation before it engages. If you can, I 100% recommend it. Also, open up that rod holder, I am a curious creature. And have you considered going to a Tenkara style fly fishing to circumvent the storage problem? I ordered a rod to give it a go.
No tenkara for me, I enjoy the rhythm of casting, and casting some distance.

20200523_094352.jpg

Quick question and please forgive me if you already listed the specs in your postings. I am starting preparations for primer and paint and yours looks pretty good. Can you tell me the type of gun you used and how many CFM your air compressor pumped out?

rkymtnflyfisher

Big Government Sucks
SILVER Star

Quick question and please forgive me if you already listed the specs in your postings. I am starting preparations for primer and paint and yours looks pretty good. Can you tell me the type of gun you used and how many CFM your air compressor pumped out?

Don't admire my paint job, it's about as amateur as it gets!

I used about a half dozen harbor freight paimt guns, after the first couple I just quit cleaning them. Toss em in the can and open a new one.

The compressor is a different story, it's an Ingersoll Rand 80 gallon 5 hp unit, way more flow than necessary, but I bought it as a long term tool.

Jdc1

SILVER Star

Don't admire my paint job, it's about as amateur as it gets!

I used about a half dozen harbor freight paimt guns, after the first couple I just quit cleaning them. Toss em in the can and open a new one.

The compressor is a different story, it's an Ingersoll Rand 80 gallon 5 hp unit, way more flow than necessary, but I bought it as a long term tool.
Every time I think of the Rustic Green garage door, it cracks me up.

rkymtnflyfisher

Big Government Sucks
SILVER Star

So, you think it wasn't a spring pack shim issue as much as it was a pinon bearing problem?

I think one lead to the other. With the rear pinion flange being out of alignment with the transfer case it was causing some vibration on the driveshaft. That vibration and the fact that I do drive it 65-70 mph a lot probably wrecked the rear pinion bearing.

Now that everything is back in alignment and tight I'll have to go drive around and enjoy it!

In the meantime, I'm putting the add a leaf back in the rear pack. I noticed when I'm fully loaded it squats more than I want it to.

Hopefully none of my pinion angles shift again. I don't think it should, my measurements for the shims where taken with the add a leaf in place.

Top Bottom