Alignment Setting Toe (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Do you have to pull the cotter pins out of the bolts, and disconnect the ends of the tie rod, and then screw the ENDS in or out???

Looks like if I just try to twist the tie rod tube, it won't change the overall length, just move the tube back and forth between the ends.

What am I missing?
You just loosen the clamps and twist the tube. One end is right-hand threaded, the other is left-hand threaded. Turning the tube will lengthen or shorten the overall length of the rod, drawing the toe inward or outward.

Do you have to pull the cotter pins out of the bolts, and disconnect the ends of the tie rod, and then screw the ENDS in or out???

Looks like if I just try to twist the tie rod tube, it won't change the overall length, just move the tube back and forth between the ends.

What am I missing?
You're missing the fact that one end of that rod is reverse (left hand) threaded. So, no, you do not have to take it off of the truck. Just loosen the bolts on the band clamps and turn the tie rod with a pipe wrench to lengthen or shorten the assembly. After you get the correct length, re-torque the clamp bolts and away you go.

Edit: @Dissent beat me to it.

Thanks. I got it figured out.

Question:

I set my toe-in at 1/8" , adjusted the drag link the center the steering wheel, and the truck still very slightly wants to pull to the right. Do I have something else going on, or should I just increase the toe-in a little more and see if that works?

Thanks

Pulling to the right is normal because the road is crowned. You can compensate for this on some cars by increasing positive caster on the driver’s side, but with a solid axle, you can’t independently change caster easily on just on one side.

Hey I know it’s been a while since anyone has posted in this thread. Anyway, does anyone know how to convert inches to degrees for proper toe adjustment. I have the privilege of working with an alignment machine that functions in degrees, and I wanted to see what toe in degrees corresponds to being within 0-0.160”. Thanks

Hey I know it’s been a while since anyone has posted in this thread. Anyway, does anyone know how to convert inches to degrees for proper toe adjustment. I have the privilege of working with an alignment machine that functions in degrees, and I wanted to see what toe in degrees corresponds to being within 0-0.160”. Thanks

Yup, its in this thread a couple pages back, just read through it a couple times.

for 37's should we be running more toe?
I have no experience but as long as you have the proper amount of caster and the tires are aired up properly I would think factory toe would be ok.

Too many people add toe because the steering feels light which in my opinion is only masking a problem not fixing one.

I have no experience but as long as you have the proper amount of caster and the tires are aired up properly I would think factory toe would be ok.

Too many people add toe because the steering feels light which in my opinion is only masking a problem not fixing one.
I'll shoot for spec then. I am finishing up my TRE's and knuckle job this afternoon, going to double check toe

I'll shoot for spec then. I am finishing up my TRE's and knuckle job this afternoon, going to double check toe
1/8" toed in. i run that on mine and it's great.

for 37's should we be running more toe?
Up to 1/4 inch, as others have said 1/8 is spec I believe, basically slightly toed in, with 37's though I would recommend putting some extra tightness on your wheel bearings....

Up to 1/4 inch, as others have said 1/8 is spec I believe, basically slightly toed in, with 37's though I would recommend putting some extra tightness on your wheel bearings....
Done and done :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom