Toe setting real time help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I found with a little more toe in, biggish mud tyres were better behaved.

When I was chasing death wobbles some more toe in helped. But in general, steering was a bit more predictable, less vague on the muddies.
I never saw any undue tire wear
It will be more at the tire tread as I have it set at stock tire size.
At this point I can only adjust it by one full turn of the bar or pop off one tie rod end and give it one full turn for half of a full turn of the bar.
That's the drawback of welding the hydro mount right to the tie bar.
I think it should be fine as it's a trailer Queen and you don't need toe in for the trail :cool:

It will be more at the tire tread as I have it set at stock tire size.
At this point I can only adjust it by one full turn of the bar or pop off one tie rod end and give it one full turn for half of a full turn of the bar.
That's the drawback of welding the hydro mount right to the tie bar.
I think it should be fine as it's a trailer Queen and you don't need toe in for the trail :cool:
Then it's better to be more toe-in than less toe-in.

Good point

More then what ?
If you have it close to the "correct" setting at whatever the FSM states (historically, I have used 1/8" toe-in PER MILE but go per the FSM) and if it doesn't allow your hydro ram to end up in the right place, then it will be easier to deal with on the trail with more toe-in than the FSM setting if things are not lining up. This will make it so it's less likely to climb a rock unexpectedly or veer one direction. It may make it slightly harder to climb an obstacle offset to one side, but easier to straddle a crevasse.

I read everything that says 0* of toe is in spec.

I place 2-36” angle iron bars on the hubs in the center and level. I then adjust tor so the distance on the front is 1/16” (.0625) closer than the rear.

Truck drives fine, no tire squeal on hard turns and tires wear smooth.

On the trail, I doubt you'd notice any difference in toe settings. Unless they were ridiculously out of whack.

I found it beneficial at highway speeds on road.

When I was a kid, I was staying with relatives. My aunty came home from a 10day multi-state business road trip in their landriver defender and said to my uncle "it's driving a bit odd".
We followed my uncle to the shed to look at it.
Turned out my aunty slid into a drainage ditch beside their driveway as she left for het 10 day trip. She locked diffs to reverse out of the ditch, then went on her merry way.
She'd bent the tie rod into a total banana, toe in was visibly ****** up and she drove it like that for thousands of Kms. :lol:

Thanks for all the replies.
The truck is back together and I took it for a test drive, It's driving really good
Using the two bars with marks at 32" 16" from center front and back I set the toe in at 4mm or 3/16" then set the steering stops accordingly.
Then I took it out for a drive to get the steering wheel dialed in, adjusted the drag link a few time tell it was right.
Really nice to have full turning back with the new 10" hydro ram

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom