Toe setting real time help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Broski

I love Wheelin my 80
SILVER Star
Threads
I’m trying to set the toe in on my 80.
Yes I’m using the FSM
I’m reading this as 2MM each side ?

71623382317__54189DB9-736D-4A86-8560-4D5EF5F4397F.jpeg

The setup I’m using

IMG_4710.jpeg

measure from two points on the bars on the hub, one on the front side and one on the back side. lock everything down when your measurements are equal front and rear. make your final adjustment by measuring just the front of the bar till your 2mm +/- 2mm total difference between front and rear on the bar at the hub

+1 with this ^^^^
I also normally go a bit more for 35+ tires.

Thanks for the replies

It depends:
1694551072430.png

the measurement (2-mm) is the same, the tolerance changes between what is allowable when you inspect vs. when you adjust.

To be clear, I’m using two pieces of angle iron bolted to the front hub.
Second post 😉
I’m looking for the difference from the front to the back at the stock stock tire size.
Right now I have it set at 3/16 or 4mm.

Spent a Hour at lunch researching this
on mud and this is the general consensus

I'd think the tolerance is for the measurement and not the actual dimension, but I could be wrong.

I'd think the tolerance is for the measurement and not the actual dimension, but I could be wrong.
I also think that’s correct.
The actual alignment is done in degrees.
But since we don’t have an alignment rack at home, the angle iron bar is as close as you can get in a home shop.

One can do a mathematical equation to come up with a number or a full scale layout.
The general consensus from highly respected members was between an 1/8” & 1/4” so I went with 3/16 😉

I have a wheeling trip coming up in less than a week, Fordyce Creek trail.
And this was part of a hydro ram replacement project.
Running out of time to get my rig ready so for now that’s where it stays

Thanks again for all the responses

IMG_4712.jpeg

When you get it where you want it, cut a 1X1 to fit snug between the edges of both front rim's. Make sure its centered between them.
After a good romp in the rocks, I check my tow this way when I get home. If the stick doesn't fit, I adjust accordingly.

Anyone know about how much toe 1 full turn of the tie rod equals?

Both sets of rod ends are 1.5 pitch; the relay rod is M21x1.5, the tie rod is M23x1.5. That means for every revolution (of the bar), the thread of the rod end advances (or retreats) 1.5-mm in to/out of the rod. If you have both rod ends connected to the wheels, and threaded into the rods, one full turn equals 3.0-mm. Of course, you have to turn the two rods an equal amount, but in the opposite direction.
1694571354983.png

@Malleus
What FSM is this from ? obviously it has more information then mine. I guessing a 95-97 FSM

This is from my 1994 FSM #5 at the top of page SA5 is all you get on toe-in :rolleyes:
Yes, it's from the 1995 FSM, although it's from the TIS version. I'd recommend you download the 1994 (TIS version) FSM from the Resources section. I like paper copies, too, but the TIS versions differ from the published paper versions in that they get updated. I haven't compared the '94 and '95 TIS versions.

I've attached the '94 TIS pages for your use.

EDIT: I just checked the '94 FSMs (there are two, and one separate EWD) in the Resources section; they're not ones I've posted, so I can't vouch for where they came from (all my resources came from TIS). If you want a TIS copy LMK.

Attachments

• Front wheel alignment (SA-4 through SA-5).pdf
    116.4 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
I have a wheeling trip coming up in less than a week, Fordyce Creek trail.
And this was part of a hydro ram replacement project.
Running out of time to get my rig ready so for now that’s where it stays

I found with a little more toe in, biggish mud tyres were better behaved.

When I was chasing death wobbles some more toe in helped. But in general, steering was a bit more predictable, less vague on the muddies.
I never saw any undue tire wear

Both sets of rod ends are 1.5 pitch; the relay rod is M21x1.5, the tie rod is M23x1.5. That means for every revolution (of the bar), the thread of the rod end advances (or retreats) 1.5-mm in to/out of the rod. If you have both rod ends connected to the wheels, and threaded into the rods, one full turn equals 3.0-mm. Of course, you have to turn the two rods an equal amount, but in the opposite direction.
View attachment 3427921

It's more at the tire tread.

Leverage and all . . .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom