Advice on whether I should buy a Land Cruiser (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Does my clutch assembly thingy look complete? I have no other parts for it, looks like from the diagrams there should be an arm or something.

Also is this the mounting nut or what? I have 4 of them/

Dan

View attachment 3271480

View attachment 3271481
Clutch master looks okay from that picture. The clutch itself is a different story. I don’t see any pictures of any clutch components other than the master cylinder.

That nut looks like an exhaust nut. Not sure from where.

harmonic balancer. it mounts onto the end of the crank shaft. It is integrated with the v-belt pulleys.

Not sure if it helps or will save you time, but a thread I started back in the day when I was doing cooling system work on my 2F:

Lots of folks smarter than me chimed in on some tips for doing cooling system/HB/TC work. Really helped me a lot at the time. GL and HTH.

Does it matter what order I starting putting stuff on the engine besides doing water pump after timing and hb?
Been doing some reading….

8CA0B9A1-D361-41BF-B3D7-6F833A0D4EF3.jpeg

The drawing you have is for something different...maybe an earlier model F-series engine. The parts schematic is below. There is no "kit" and most, if not all of the parts are discontinued. As long as the flapper inside the exhaust manifold is in good condition and moves freely, you should be OK, I think. Often there is a crack in the intake manifold that can be seen looking down into the manifold where the carburetor sits.

Pay attention to the gaskets and insulator that go between the intake and exhaust. I think the insulator is still available and if yours is damaged, replace it. Otherwise get two new gaskets and attach the intake to the exhaust making sure the surfaces that mount to the head are all in one plane.

1679924165598.png

The drawing you have is for something different...maybe an earlier model F-series engine. The parts schematic is below. There is no "kit" and most, if not all of the parts are discontinued. As long as the flapper inside the exhaust manifold is in good condition and moves freely, you should be OK, I think. Often there is a crack in the intake manifold that can be seen looking down into the manifold where the carburetor sits.

Pay attention to the gaskets and insulator that go between the intake and exhaust. I think the insulator is still available and if yours is damaged, replace it. Otherwise get two new gaskets and attach the intake to the exhaust making sure the surfaces that mount to the head are all in one plane.

View attachment 3283477
local cruiserhead helping me (thank god) said since the cast iron is a little warped that I can use some high temp RTV. Should I apply this on all sides of both gaskets? My insulator didint make it- this was the best I could find—

local cruiserhead helping me (thank god) said since the cast iron is a little warped that I can use some high temp RTV. Should I apply this on all sides of both gaskets? My insulator didint make it- this was the best I could find—

3F4394D8-5170-4D6D-9647-2C979A164F49.jpeg

Getting conflicting diagrams, do I need an oil slinger?

View attachment 3283653

View attachment 3283654
oil slinger would be on the parts diagram for the crank shaft, not the timing gear cover. However, on the 2F for the FJ60, no oil slinger is shown. It does show for pre-1980 2F engines. The picture you show with the slinger maybe is from the Haynes manual that covers a wider range of model years.

Also, last question for now. I bought a new clutch slave- does this connect directly to the clutch fork? The diagrams on partsouq were wrong and it had a hanger connecting to a spring. I ordered both but apparently the 60 doesn’t use it—- if someone can point me on the direction of the correct diagram that would be awesome.

What year/month was your land cruiser built. I can't find that information in this thread. Some of the parts do change over the market life of the FJ60. The slave cylinder has a push rod that acts on the release fork. However the slave itself is mounted to the engine or transmission.

The release fork return spring and hanger are used on FJ60's with a build date early than 11/1984. FJ60s manufactured after that date won't use the spring. Both are mounted on the passenger side of the bell housing. Here are some threads shown older (with spring) and newer (without spring):

older: 1984 FJ60 clutch slave cylinder location for bleeding - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/1984-fj60-clutch-slave-cylinder-location-for-bleeding.914286/

Newer: Slave cylinder questions - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/slave-cylinder-questions.665011/

oil slinger would be on the parts diagram for the crank shaft, not the timing gear cover. However, on the 2F for the FJ60, no oil slinger is shown. It does show for pre-1980 2F engines. The picture you show with the slinger maybe is from the Haynes manual that covers a wider range of model years.
So….d
do I need to buy an oil slinger? I’m assuming yes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom