The Squirrel - 1991 FJ80 "Poverty Pack" Cruiser (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Significant milestone today - I had done an EGR delete and rear heater delete. On a whim, I decided to additionally replace the front two heater hoses. They connect the engine to the hardlines from the front of the truck to the firewall. As it turned out, the hoses were a PITA to source/replace. I found the upper hose (Toyota Part No. 87245-90k53) but the lower hose was taking FOREVER to arrive from Japan.

Yesterday I got impatient and found the cross-reference Gates PN for the Lower front hose (Toyota Part No. 87245-90k36). Gates replacement is 18822 and fits perfectly.

IMG-8484.jpg

Got everything back together and test-fired it. Purring like a kitten…

Last edited:
The winch is a nice touch ……. Looks like Wally approves 👍

The winch is a nice touch ……. Looks like Wally approves 👍
Thanks! I still need to do some wiring on the winch.

But yes, Wally is loving the truck.

I picked up an FZJ80 battery tray for the driver’s side fender. Does anyone know, do you have to remove the A/C drier and radiator to install?

IMG-8682.jpg

IMG-8683.jpg

IMG-8685.jpg

Last edited:
You do not. That tray can be installed leaving everything intact with the stock radiator (not sure if your aftermarket radiator changes any dimensions).

I moved my dryer up to 91-92 spot, it been a few years but I think you may have to make a small notch for the cooler lines.

Early '93 FZJ80 used that same drier and had that battery box there. 91-92 radiators physically interchange with 93-97 radiators. You should be good to go.

My truck came with a passenger’s side rear tire carrier from @SUMMIT CRUISERS Jr back when he was still making them. PO made a nice bracket for the license plate.

Before
IMG-7527.jpg

But I found a JDM license plate holder and decided to install. I’ll probably delete the second “Toyota Land Cruiser” garnish on the hatch since it’s redundant (and you can’t see half of it behind the carrier). Paint is also going to need some restoration from where I removed the “Full Time 4WD” garnish.

After
IMG-8712.jpg

IMG-8713.jpg

The condition of the license plate holder is not perfect, but decent from 10 feet.

Last edited:
I’m sure you’ve seen Nolen’s impressions of his Saudi-spec 3F 80 Series with 5-speed. Make the swap to manual, then see if a new engine is even necessary.

I can second (third?) this. 3FE with a 5 speed rocks. Still not a powerhouse, but moves around respectably and cruises easily at whatever speed on the highway. I rarely downshift on hills even with mods listed below. Tows a 3000lb trailer respectably. Gets decent mileage for what it is (I can now do 13-15mpg mixed and 16-17mpg highway if I drive for mileage).

I had a 1HDT and a 5 speed that I sold, the combo works that well.

I totally get wanting a rip-snorting diesel for how it makes your junk tingle, just sayin it's food for thought.

EDIT: Sweeeeet truck btw. Love it.

I will probably do something similar to this @SNLC build.

IMG-0534.jpg

I realize the winch limits your options, but putting the IC there does create a lot of problems if you're in a hotter climate. The intercooler in front puts substantial heat into the radiator and ac condenser. To the point the cooling package is wholly ineffective nearing 100 degrees.

If you're planning a conservative engine (like sub 250hp) you might be better off just not intercooling.

I realize the winch limits your options, but putting the IC there does create a lot of problems if you're in a hotter climate. The intercooler in front puts substantial heat into the radiator and ac condenser. To the point the cooling package is wholly ineffective nearing 100 degrees.

If you're planning a conservative engine (like sub 250hp) you might be better off just not intercooling.
Agreed. Compromises must be made if I want to keep the OEM winch.

Will I don’t even know you, but you’re better than a 6BT swap…especially on a rare rig.

Ill come over and protest myself!

Whelp looks like I need to make a trip over to check it out...hahaha

Thank you for bringing that up. I have been thinking about deleting mine. I’m planning to keep my 6bt as close to stock as possible. I may build a small camper (less than 2000 lbs) but that’s the extent of my towing.

This is my dream spec 80. I'll find a 3FE 80 for my next build, and it will be like this. Basic.

I'll be in Austin for the meet on Saturday in the 3FE/H55F 62. Hope to see you there.

38E60760-857A-4923-9C8A-03984974A2CD.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom