AC Blower does not operate (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
About a month ago I was tried turning on my heater in my 1988 FJ62. It did not work. As I accelerated on the highway, I noticed that the air coming into the car was warm. I also tested out the cold. It also worked but would not blow in any of the positions between low and high. I moved the lever between fresh air and recirculating a few times and all of a sudden the blower kicked back on. This is beginning to happen more often and my current fix is to move the fresh air/ recirculating air lever back and forth until the blower kicks back on. Has anyone had this issue and what was the fix? I would like to get it fixed before it goes out in the middle of summer. Thank you.

There's a circuit breaker in the fuse box that looks like a silver can with a hole in the top of it. Poke a thick gauge paper clip wire down the hole to to reset the breaker.

If that doesn't work, remove the blower motor and put 12V to the leads and see if it spins.

The different fan speeds are controlled by a resistor pack installed in the air duct near the accelerator pedal. Remove it and see if the resistor coils have burned up

Yep. If not the breaker, it could be the switch, the resistor, the motor, or relay - or a bad ground. I was having similar problems and traced it to the blower motor, which I replaced.

1617228723220.png

The heater lever that moves from blue to red is opening a heater valve on the firewall to let warm coolant into the heater core...a kind of miniature radiator under your dash. Your air was warm because the engine was warmed up and the valve was open. The blower is electrical and operates on 12v hot and ground wires going to it on the bottom right under the glove box. It has nothing to do with the recirculate-fresh air lever. That lever just opens a door to let fresh air in and is not connected to the electrical on the blower motor. But the door is between the vent and the blower and may be jiggling the plug when you slam it. Try to unplug your wires on the bottom left of the blower motor and plug back in making sure you have a tight connection. Also make sure the wires themselves are not loose/burned/corroded in the plug.

Last edited:
Also to test my theory just turn the truck on and turn the blower on to any of the positions and while the blower is NOT running, INSTEAD of slamming the recirculate lever, just wiggle the wires coming into the blower to see if you can get it to come on.

About a month ago I was tried turning on my heater in my 1988 FJ62. It did not work. As I accelerated on the highway, I noticed that the air coming into the car was warm. I also tested out the cold. It also worked but would not blow in any of the positions between low and high. I moved the lever between fresh air and recirculating a few times and all of a sudden the blower kicked back on. This is beginning to happen more often and my current fix is to move the fresh air/ recirculating air lever back and forth until the blower kicks back on. Has anyone had this issue and what was the fix? I would like to get it fixed before it goes out in the middle of summer. Thank you.
I've had the same thing happen a couple of times but haven't been able to reproduce it recently. Blower stopped working (any speed) and moving the fresh/recirc lever got it going again. Connection at the blower looked fine so I plan to replace the blower with a new one I bought from O'Reillys. https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...ntrol-blower-motor/vac0/pm3713?q=PM3713&pos=0 (I assume the same for 62s)

Let us know what you find!

likely the resistor. i had same symptoms, the resistor had a break in it.

I'm unable to recreate the problem right now. The AC and blower are working just fine. I'm sure it will go out while on a trip in the middle of July...

Mine started acting up again - it was the resistor. The O'Reillys blower I linked above is crap anyway, loud/doesn't spin smoothly. So OEM blower stays in place after a good cleanup. Everything back up and running perfectly again.

Amayama has OEM resistors for $11:

PXL_20210424_154641086.jpg

I'm super glad I found this thread. My A/C and heat have been doing the same thing for about 3 months but now I'm in desperation mode because it's June in north Mississippi. I took it to a mechanic who wanted to run a diagnostic test and charge me upwards of $1200 to fix everything. I think I'm going to do it myself. As suggested by @ToyotaMatt on another PM, I will be bench testing the blower motor and bench testing the resistor on my next off day. I suspect it's one of the 2, based off of what I'm reading here. Again, this forum is awesome and I am truly grateful for y'all.

I'm super glad I found this thread. My A/C and heat have been doing the same thing for about 3 months but now I'm in desperation mode because it's June in north Mississippi. I took it to a mechanic who wanted to run a diagnostic test and charge me upwards of $1200 to fix everything. I think I'm going to do it myself. As suggested by @ToyotaMatt on another PM, I will be bench testing the blower motor and bench testing the resistor on my next off day. I suspect it's one of the 2, based off of what I'm reading here. Again, this forum is awesome and I am truly grateful for y'all.

old skool toyota 2.jpeg

Mine started acting up again - it was the resistor. The O'Reillys blower I linked above is crap anyway, loud/doesn't spin smoothly. So OEM blower stays in place after a good cleanup. Everything back up and running perfectly again.

Amayama has OEM resistors for $11:

View attachment 2654560
Nice find! I got my resistor from O'Reilly's a couple years ago and it was a made in Japan unit. A very happy discovery. That unit costs about $47 though.

Nice find! I got my resistor from O'Reilly's a couple years ago and it was a made in Japan unit. A very happy discovery. That unit costs about $47 though.
It's a good price if you're loading up an order of other stuff, otherwise shipping $ kills it.

It's a good price if you're loading up an order of other stuff, otherwise shipping $ kills it.
But who is not loading up on parts?! :D

Motor part number is 87104-90A00 but they are NLA. There are some NOS units floating around out there on ebay and the like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom