Builds A simple Troopy build thread.... (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

.... “I think you also touched on something very very important....IF we are planning on using this as a REAL shop truck. High probability that isn't going to happen.” ....
————————————————————————————————————-
The only thing from the shop that will ride in the Troopy is the dog and based on past practices he sure as heck won’t ride in the back. :lol:

Hahahahaha....I actually want to use the Troopy for work. We haul around a lot of big parts...bumpers usually...and lots of wheels. The Troopy will be great for that kind of stuff. The super small bed on the Tacoma works but it sucks with all the tie downs and what not so pricey bumpers don't fly out.

The dog is on her own. She only rides in the back of the 73 for some reason...loves that open air. Ha.

I also got tired of this, so I fitted a linkage arm to the large door. The tyre swing now carries the weight of the tyre but opens and closes with the large door without thinking about it. Still have the catch fitted which we use when travelling on rough roads.

This was made easier as mine originally had the spare mounted on the back door so the bolt holes were available.
This was an idea I had as well.....need to investigate some setups.

Got our spare mounted up.....made a plate to fit the 6 lug wheel. Did some cutting, grinding and welding.....turned out really nice.

20200701_172802.jpg
20200702_100707.jpg
20200702_100655.jpg
20200702_151252.jpg
20200702_151308.jpg

Nice fit.

20200702_180632.jpg

20200702_180640.jpg

20200702_180658.jpg

I'd say 90% of the interior is done.....couple of little things here and there are missing or need attention but for the most part, it's pretty much there.

This giant cavern will hold a whole lot of parts. Seat straps in place.View attachment 2353055
Inward facing rear seats always make me smile....it was part of why I fell in love with 40s I think.
View attachment 2353056

I know a lot of people don't like the tan with grey interiors but I think they look really cool.
View attachment 2353057View attachment 2353058

View attachment 2353059
Dumb question, but do you have the part numbers for the black plugs that go over the doors in the front and over the barn doors? I am either blind or overlooking them when I search for them.

Dumb question, but do you have the part numbers for the black plugs that go over the doors in the front and over the barn doors? I am either blind or overlooking them when I search for them.

I can look on Monday....the smaller ones were challenging to find.

Troopy has been doing really well.....been my main driver for the last few weeks. Everything else is apart or it's too hot to mess with.....the non AC trucks don't get a lot of use at this time of year.

Got it aligned the other day.....all good. Came in around 2* of caster....wonder if I shouldn't try for 4* with some wedges. Need to read up on that.

20200715_141105.jpg

Had a small issue with the parking lights.....they didn't work yesterday on the way home. Headlights were fine....no parking lights or dash lights.

Found the culprit....some kind of 4 pin relay that should be a 3 pin relay that was made to work. We cleaned up the wires and put it back in the dash. All good. I'll have to chase down the correct part.

20200716_133018.jpg

Like every other carb in my life, this one didn't work quite right on Troopy. We tried to get right but it just wasn't meant to be. I should have known better than to even try to go thru it....my rule.....just buy a new one but NOT a Weber(they ruined a fair number of my years of 40 ownership).

Partsouq had a China carb....it was cheap....and as much as I want to buy NOTHING from China...I couldn't resist. It's made by Pluto. I think it was $124 or something vs. $700 for an OEM. Worth a shot.

She's a looker......I'm sure it will fall apart within a week. Then I'll buy an OEM one.
20200715_095108.jpg
20200715_095122.jpg

I will say.....this carb transformed the truck. Night and day difference doesn't even justify it. It wasn't horrible before...just a small off idle stumble the was easy to throttle thru. This carb makes that 1FZ sing. Smooth and kind of quick(Land Cruiser quick).......I'm sure the gas mileage will still suck though.
20200716_150557.jpg

I'm not sure what this Troopy has been used for but I bet it wasn't used like this in Oman.....note the towel under the plants to protect the flooring from dirt. Ha.

20200712_094908_1.jpg

Shop truck? New venture? :hmm: Looking good!

I don't have a green thumb so if I was doing this as a new venture, I'd quickly be bankrupt and back to working on cars :)

It's my hauler since the 79 is down with the motor apart. Trying to break the Troopy in so when it really does get used, I can handle it getting used.

I'm not sure what this Troopy has been used for but I bet it wasn't used like this in Oman.....note the towel under the plants to protect the flooring from dirt. Ha.

View attachment 2374522

As my wife has said about my Troopy... pampered retirement in comparison to it's old life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom