Builds A simple Troopy build thread.... (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I can personally attest that Chris has the cleanest shop I have ever set foot into. I thought I might need to take my shoes off at the door. :p

Funny thing is, I think the shop always could be cleaner. I know where the dirt hides :)

Stripes going on this side today....hopefully goes faster than the other side. That took far too long.

20200409_091453.jpg

Carefully laid it all out and made some patterns....
View attachment 2265479

Little did this guy know he was going to be spending a day with a jigsaw cutting 1/8" aluminum outside. Bet I didn't know I was going to take over the job for some reason. Kind of enjoyed wearing ear muffs AND social distancing. Very peaceful.
View attachment 2265478

At some point we made a run to the fastener store and picked up M6 riv-nuts, nylon washers, stainless screws.

View attachment 2265492

First panel in....all good.

View attachment 2265480

2nd panel in.....needs some love. We need to do a little trimming on the bottom of this one. Need to make some openings for the vent on the body. Need to come up with a nice way to cover up the gaps between the 2 panels too. Have a good idea for that....

View attachment 2265481

Beautifully done!

Did you have any issues with the holes being slightly off from the mounting points? Or did you oversize them a bit? I used my existing panel as a template and it took a little tweaking of the holes to get alignment.

We oversized them...so far so good. I don't see any fender washers being broken out yet either which is a positive sign :)

The rear doors, which had no panels, will certainly be a bit more challenging.

We oversized them...so far so good. I don't see any fender washers being broken out yet either which is a positive sign :)

The rear doors, which had no panels, will certainly be a bit more challenging.

Get the CAD file printed and trace...

This is how our CAD setup went.

We traced the openings on some shower curtain plastic that we use for vapor barriers(easy to trace out the pattern you need for doors). Added bonus of being able to mark all the holes. We'll see how close we get.
20200409_164840.jpg
20200409_164906.jpg

20200409_172633.jpg

Transferred onto the aluminum sheet.....let the cutting begin.

20200409_171602_HDR.jpg

I finished my project task today.....driver stripes done. Went WAY quicker now that I had all the measurements from the other side to use. That passenger side gave me a headache....no headache today though.
20200409_164727.jpg

The absolute best part of doing the vinyl, in my opinion, is using the knife-less tape. A little tricky to use but it's really entertaining.

Lay the vinyl over the magic stuff....
20200409_152507.jpg

Start pulling the imbedded thread or whatever it is and let it do it's magic...in this pic, the thread has been pulled and the green tape is the leftover stuff that is slightly under both sides of the vinyl. You carefully pull this out and then reapply the slightly lifted edge.

20200409_152614.jpg

Voila....a clean edge. Except for the white top corner near the flare....kind of didn't get that one right. Had to clean it up with a blade. Starting the knifelss stuff is really challenging especially on these small portions of vinyl. By the time I got to the doors today, I figured out a little trick that made it a lot easier and cut vs. pulled the vinyl. #learning

20200409_171515.jpg

Last edited:
Side panels done, trimmed, fitted....next up, Raptor.

20200409_160322.jpg
20200409_174545.jpg

Bed liner guys use some kind of that wire tape

Yeah.....copper I think probably under the heat proof tape. The stuff I use is a 3M product....feels like a kevlar thread imbedded in the tape. Neat stuff. I've watched a few of these guys and how they do layers of it....amazing.

Chris, those stripes look so good! I've wanted them ever since I saw that LC79 PCOR Retro Supertourer, and I like your color scheme even better!

Chris, those stripes look so good! I've wanted them ever since I saw that LC79 PCOR Retro Supertourer, and I like your color scheme even better!

Thanks man. That Supertourer truck is soooo good. The colors in the stripes are really interesting.....really neat truck.

I was kind of stuck using matte finished vinyl that I could buy in bulk since these weren't pre cut or printed.

How's your Troopy project coming along?

Door panels on....we'll need to cut a hole for the inside door handle on the small door....another part the parts guy forgot to order :)

Even had time to pop in some holes for the body vent/flaps ports.
20200410_091932.jpg

Yota...I did that on purpose.

20200410_091945.jpg
20200410_102645.jpg

@c2dfj45 - Mine is still stuck in Germany. It took forever to finish, and now has been ready for pickup for a couple weeks. Well.. everything is on lockdown there too, so no way to get it to the port. I wish I could use all this time to work on it! 1HDT has been sitting in the garage just looking pretty. Taking lots of notes here though. Definitely appreciate all the posts.

@c2dfj45 - Mine is still stuck in Germany. It took forever to finish, and now has been ready for pickup for a couple weeks. Well.. everything is on lockdown there too, so no way to get it to the port. I wish I could use all this time to work on it! 1HDT has been sitting in the garage just looking pretty. Taking lots of notes here though. Definitely appreciate all the posts.

Hopefully you'll get that thing soon. That's really exciting.

If you ever need to have a look around at anything on my trucks to help you in your build, let me know...Tampa isn't too far away.

Hopefully you'll get that thing soon. That's really exciting.

If you ever need to have a look around at anything on my trucks to help you in your build, let me know...Tampa isn't too far away.
I'll definitely be up there soon. Really want check out your new truck too!

This is how our CAD setup went.

We traced the openings on some shower curtain plastic that we use for vapor barriers(easy to trace out the pattern you need for doors). Added bonus of being able to mark all the holes. We'll see how close we get.
View attachment 2266515View attachment 2266516
View attachment 2266521

Transferred onto the aluminum sheet.....let the cutting begin.

View attachment 2266517

That clear shower curtain idea is rockin'. You'e got me convinced I don't need to pay to have mine laser cut. You've pulled off a super sharp look with patience and attention to detail...

That clear shower curtain idea is rockin'. You'e got me convinced I don't need to pay to have mine laser cut. You've pulled off a super sharp look with patience and attention to detail...

The shower curtain worked like a treat and there is probably a way to use it as the vapor barrier.

We spent far too long finishing the edges nicely and all that good stuff....we didn't need to do that since we'll be coating them with Raptor. If they were going to be wrapped in material, nothing would need to be done on the edges. Jigsaw, file, sanding block...all set.

Had my mind set on black for the panels.....going to go a different direction I think after seeing them all in there tonight.

I'll definitely be up there soon. Really want check out your new truck too!

The new truck is straight off the charts. I'm so happy with it, it's hard to put into words. Would love to show it off if you come up.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom