Builds A New 55 Owner Intro (cgn1976 thread) (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Waiting for those pics Cody. :)

Waiting for those pics Cody. :)
Hey Mark. Sorry. I posted them in a different thread I tagged you in under 40/55 tech. Here they are again.

20200915_132556.jpg

20200915_132550.jpg

20200915_132528.jpg

20200915_132523.jpg

20200915_132509.jpg

New alternator voltage regulator installed, and sadly no change. Still overcharging and it increases as the rpms go up. Any thoughts? I'm gonna dig more on other overcharging issues and what else it could be. I assume the alternator is working since it's charging. Maybe it's wired wrong or theres bad wire somewhere?

Update - got my Haynes manual in the mail today coincidentally. It' said ground to reg. c
20200916_165008.jpg
ould be my problem...what do you know! I think my belt break last week might have slapped against the harness and caused this! No more overcharge! Back on the road!

So I read on a 55 thread somewhere recently that there is 1 step forward 2 steps back kind of dance with these rigs. I'm certainly finding that to be true, granted I think I might be causing some of my own backawards steps, being a noob and mine is more of a forward, forward, back, back, back, back thing!

Forward - Yesterday I got the rear shoulder belts installed. I went for some Wrangler replacements off of ebay instead of trying to track down OEM stuff. It was also 6 weeks out to get some from Wesco or other web based storesI may eventually move to something from Toyota, but they work great for now, are solid and will have the wife allowing the kids in truck now!

Forward - got that alternator regulator ground figuered out, so I went for a nice little drive last night!

Back - when I turned on the headlights, the left blinker indicator on the dash lit up solid, and left blinker would only flash once. Turned off the headlights, works normally. I also noticed that the left blinker is not quite as bright as the other side, so I think I have a ground issue still and maybe a short from the dash headlight indicator or switch? I actually fixed this same blinker issue but without the headlights on a few weeks back, but clearly there's more to sort out.

Back - left headlight wasn't working on the drive as well, so I wiggled the harness and it came back on. That's an easy fix, however I then noticed a little coolant getting splashed off of the fan blade. Didn't have time to figure it out last night, so I ran it idle for 15 min today and it started splashing again. Leaking at the water pump. see pics. I took the fan off last weekend to smooth out the pulleys, as they had a little rust and I figuered that probably led to the belt breaking. I wonder if somehow removing that pully caused the water pump issue becasue it looks like it's leaking at the front of the pully, although is that even possibble? I do recall the pully feeling like it could wiggle on the pump with the bolts loose, almost like the part it was seating to had some play. There was no leak before I pulled the fan so I must have doen something! Eitherway, the pump looks really rusted and old, so I ordered another one from Cruiser Corp. just now. Hopefully that solves that one!

Back??? - I'm really hoping not, but it looks like the coolant is a little oily. I'm no expert, but I read this could be and probably is a head gasket failure! Oh joy! getting into the deep end real quick with this thing! I guess a compression test is in order? The engine runs smooth, strong and doesn't smoke though, so I don't really know what to think.

Back - I'm having exhuast fumes in the cab, but I have only driven with the back window down and I read it could be wafting in from there? Was having gas fumes in there but adjusted the carb a bit as it's now living at a lot higher elevation than it's prior home and that seems to have helped that. There's a new exhuast from the PO that routes out the side well behind the rear tire though, so kind of doubt that's the issue. Also ran shop vac backwards into the exhaust and splashed soapy water on the exhaust manifold and dind't find any leaks, so I guess that's a win! I also have the rebuilt OEM carb and new dissy with Pertronix coming from Mark in the coming weeks, so maybe the better tuned carb will help some with this one. I'll see!

Anyway, not sure if this is the right place to post on all of this, but I thought I'd share my journey and this seemd like as good a place an any!
water pump 1.jpg
water pump 2.jpg

Last edited:
being a noob and mine is more of a forward, forward, back, back, back, back thing!
WE STAND—OR FALL—TOGETHER

. . . no society of men and women ever had a more urgent need for continuous effectiveness and permanent unity. We Pig owners see that we must work together and hang together, else most of us will finally die alone.

— PIG OWNERS ANONYMOUS, p. 561

Just as the Twelve Steps of P.O.A. are written in a specific sequence for a reason, so it is with the Twelve Traditions. The First Step and the First Tradition attempt to instill in me enough humility to allow me a chance at survival. Together they are the basic foundation upon which the Steps and Traditions that follow are built. It is a process of ego deflation which allows me to grow as an individual through the Steps, and as a contributing member of a group through the Traditions. Full acceptance of the First Tradition allows me to set aside personal ambitions, fears and anger when they are in conflict with the common good, thus permitting me to work with others for our mutual survival. Without Tradition One I stand little chance of maintaining the unity required to work with others effectively, and I also stand to lose the remaining Traditions, the Fellowship, and my life.

so I ordered another one from Cruiser Corp.
Do yourself a favor and reach out to cruiser outfitters @cruiseroutfit not only will you save a few bucks on the parts you need but you'll get top notch phone support. I’ve found Kurt has knowledgeable guys that answer the phone and if they don’t know the answer they don’t just guess, they will work with you to get you exactly what you need at a fair price.

Telephone : 801-563-1277 - DIRECT ORDER/TECH LINE

. . . no society of men and women ever had a more urgent need for continuous effectiveness and permanent unity. We Pig owners see that we must work together and hang together, else most of us will finally die alone.

Just as the Twelve Steps of P.O.A. are written in a specific sequence for a reason, so it is with the Twelve Traditions. The First Step and the First Tradition attempt to instill in me enough humility to allow me a chance at survival. Together they are the basic foundation upon which the Steps and Traditions that follow are built. It is a process of ego deflation which allows me to grow as an individual through the Steps, and as a contributing member of a group through the Traditions. Full acceptance of the First Tradition allows me to set aside personal ambitions, fears and anger when they are in conflict with the common good, thus permitting me to work with others for our mutual survival. Without Tradition One I stand little chance of maintaining the unity required to work with others effectively, and I also stand to lose the remaining Traditions, the Fellowship, and my life.

Do yourself a favor and reach out to cruiser outfitters @cruiseroutfit not only will you save a few bucks on the parts you need but you'll get top notch phone support. I’ve found Kurt has knowledgeable guys that answer the phone and if they don’t know the answer they don’t just guess, they will work with you to get you exactly what you need at a fair price.

Well said. Well said, 😉👍🐷! You running for PIG 🐖 of the hill 😉😂🐷🐷🐷? Just Messing 😉😂🐷

Thanks everyone for the great words and ideas. Wasn't expecting that depth of respsonse! Hah! I've had a few quick "wtf did I get myself into" moments with this thing already but the drive time gets rid of that real quick! Hoping to just keep my head above water and do as much as I can myself and am visualizing the day when she's mostly sorted for regular local drives...which is hopefully sooner than later!

X2 on Cruiser Outfitters. I only use the other suppliers as a last resort.

Carb and dizzy are done Cody. The sight glass is in excellent condition; no visible difference from my NOS stash that has been stored in a dark drawer for over 25 years!

FWIW, this is a 1973replacement carb (see aluminum tag) made in the early 1980s...and the newest replacement carb I’ve seen that didn’t have the 2F non-stepped sight glass. To me it’s the equivalent of having a 1967 Beatles album still on Capitol Records (not Apple).
B325AA33-14CD-47AD-9AEE-87126C9C37E4.jpeg

That's great Mark! Jackpot! I guess the only thing to do is slap it on the table, drop the stylus in the groove and let that sweet analog sound fill the room!

Also, sorry about the whole paypal debale. I swear the 2nd time I logged in, the interafce didn't give me the same otpions to choose how I paid. Anyway, I appreciate the work and look forward to attempting to install these myself!

Got the new water pump installed yesterday and fingers crossed, first long test drive, no leaks. Everything went back together and its running great! A little PB Blaster the night before made the old bolts break loose real easy, which had me worried! Bonus was with the radiator out, I could install the new plastic fan blade. Man that thing moves more air!
20200919_125237.jpg
20200919_125239.jpg
Never saw myself as a guy who was gonna be able do this job, but truth be told it wasn't that hard! Love the internet and this forum!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom