99 miles to the new sty! (8 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

To my amazement I was able to get the window mechanism to operate both up and down using a few alligator clips & test wires via the key! Not super fast but quite smooth ( this was done before mounting on the tailgate). No such luck with the remote dash switch... Does this indicate the issue may likely be the switch since the relay and circuit breaker are clearly functioning? :confused: I did use a toner and clearly, the wires makes it from the tailgate to the remote switch.

Thanks!

window mech work.jpg

That’s going to depend on where you pulled your 12v from to make the motor operate.
so using the key on the tailgate ,the voltage comes from solid blue wire as it should then connects to the up or down connections via the blue white or blue black wires at the key switch. On the dash the switch would also be fed voltage by that same blue wire then it would be provided to the motor via the blue white/blue black wires.

So you’ve verified that the motor works, but now unconfirmed about the circuit coming from the dash switch? IIRC, the circuit passes through a relay AND a circuit breaker before heading to the tailgate.
Yes, the motor works by using the key but not from the remote /dash switch. So given the tailgate key switch works (operates the motor) and passes through both the relay and circuit breaker. its either the wire feeding the dash switch or the dash switch itself?

I’d say yes. Check voltage at the switch on both sides, and then circuit breaker and relay, and so on until you know you have voltage from the switch to the tailgate.
hmm no power to the dash switch from the battery. Maybe there are 2 wires from the battery to the circuit breaker/relay-> switch and one just isn't making it there. I'll have to look under there and see what I can find

I don’t know how much this will help you - I have a partial schematic pic for my 77 that shows the circuit. White wire with lavender stripe going to the circuit breaker.

IMG_2946.jpeg

It looks like 12v coming into the relay from the turn signal circuit.
I’ll post a better pic for the 72 year circuit when I get home later.

I don’t know how much this will help you - I have a partial schematic pic for my 77 that shows the circuit. White wire with lavender stripe going to the circuit breaker.

View attachment 3564261
It looks like 12v coming into the relay from the turn signal circuit.
I’ll post a better pic for the 72 year circuit when I get home later.
Thanks! I think @PabloCruise posted the schematics of an earlier model in the Gary S window thread plus, I have the FSM right here. Still not easy to figure it out...I am trying 😏

According to the schematic for 1972 the relay gets juice from the circuit breaker via the L (light purple/lavender) wire, and is triggered by the BY (black w/ yellow stripe) wire which forks off the ignition circuit between the ignition switch and fuse panel.
If there’s no voltage when the key is on at the BY wire, it won’t excite the relay, and you won’t get voltage to the switch.

IMG_3265.jpeg

According to the schematic for 1972 the relay gets juice from the circuit breaker via the L (light purple/lavender) wire, and is triggered by the BY (black w/ yellow stripe) wire which forks off the ignition circuit between the ignition switch and fuse panel.
If there’s no voltage when the key is on at the BY wire, it won’t excite the relay, and you won’t get voltage to the switch.

View attachment 3564442
Thanks! Nice detail on this diagram..

Tried the beer suggestion but no luck. :D Tried another used condition unknown relay but still no power coming out. Do these relays just stop working after a while? I mean, are they a common source of failure. 3rd one a charm hopefully😏

To my amazement I was able to get the window mechanism to operate both up and down using a few alligator clips & test wires via the key! Not super fast but quite smooth ( this was done before mounting on the tailgate). No such luck with the remote dash switch... Does this indicate the issue may likely be the switch since the relay and circuit breaker are clearly functioning? :confused: I did use a toner and clearly, the wires makes it from the tailgate to the remote switch.

Thanks!

View attachment 3563762
So you have an intact circuit up to the dash switch?

so using the key on the tailgate ,the voltage comes from solid blue wire as it should then connects to the up or down connections via the blue white or blue black wires at the key switch. On the dash the switch would also be fed voltage by that same blue wire then it would be provided to the motor via the blue white/blue black wires.
So you are saying you pulled power from the junction block in the tailgate when testing the dash switch?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom