99 miles to the new sty! (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Rainy daze... Thought I would start to tackle the rear window. Took the gremlin out today. Not too bad. No movement up or down using a 12v bat and ground when bench tested. Used a toner and wires seem ok. Maybe the gear that commonly fails is the issue and its jammed. The mounting was a joke, 2 correct 10mm bolts and then 2 wood screws were used. 👍. Hoping its not the motor as I dont see any for sale😏. Might dive in and inspect the gear tomorrow. key/dash switch not working. I did have12v at the junction block before removing.
Gary S article seems helpful.
rear window mechanism.jpg

Wood screws?!? What are these POs thinking???
Good luck, I will be pulling for the gear option.
I don't think I have heard of a motor failing. If it is the motor, I bet a quality electric shop can rebuild for you. It seems like these places are getting fewer and fewer...

I have mine out also. Been several years and just cleaning things out. Was working but slow. Gear is good. Main issue seems to have been being a tooth or two off side-to-side.

So, took out the gear which to my surprise, is in decent shape but does have a few cracks in it and so since i have it out I'll replace it w/ a shapeways gear. My bench test was flawed, I was using a small 12v bat from a sander which didn't seem to do the trick. The motor actually works when connected briefly to the car bat, both up/down. maybe its the ground source that's preventing it from working in the car.... The gear didn't seem/look binded up when I removed the cover either. I think I'll figure out how to bypass the safety switch so I can eliminate that from the puzzle. re-tap the mounting holes clean the circuit board and see if there is any change. Is there nay advantage/dis advantage to using an aluminum vs plastic gear? fj55 rear window gear by fj55_100 on Shapeways - https://www.shapeways.com/product/DW94JGYWN/fj55-rear-window-gear?optionId=204168312

rear window gear.jpg
gremlin circuit baord.jpg

Last edited:
Wood screws?!? What are these POs thinking???
Good luck, I will be pulling for the gear option.
I don't think I have heard of a motor failing. If it is the motor, I bet a quality electric shop can rebuild for you. It seems like these places are getting fewer and fewer...
My original motor failed. At least one of the windings failed continuity. I think those motors have two different windings (up and down).

So, took out the gear which to my surprise, is in decent shape but does have a few cracks in it and so since i have it out I'll replace it w/ a shapeways gear. My bench test was flawed, I was using a small 12v bat from a sander which didn't seem to do the trick. The motor actually works when connected briefly to the car bat, both up/down. maybe its the ground source that's preventing it from working in the car.... The gear didn't seem/look binded up when I removed the cover either. I think I'll figure out how to bypass the safety switch so I can eliminate that from the puzzle. re-tap the mounting holes clean the circuit board and see if there is any change. Is there nay advantage/dis advantage to using an aluminum vs plastic gear? fj55 rear window gear by fj55_100 on Shapeways - https://www.shapeways.com/product/DW94JGYWN/fj55-rear-window-gear?optionId=204168312

View attachment 3533049View attachment 3533048
You need a jumper. It's detailed in the window thread sticky at the top. I think it's 1 to 3 but don't quote me on that.

how exactly did you wire up this bypass?
Similar to What Greg @WarDamnEagle said. Sorry, can't recall exactly but the short jumper wire between couple of the specified terminal and it worked like a charm.

It is in the rear window info at the top of the 55 section, wish I could remember so you don't have to look but its pretty easy.

yeah I thought I saw a pic of it somewhere. I just looked through the thread didnt see it
Post #82 in this thread: Builds - A pig for Father's Day - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/a-pig-for-fathers-day.1144426/page-5

That took about a minute by searching for "safety switch". I did skim through the sticky thread and it doesn't have a photo. It does, however, say to just run a ground from the safety switch connection on the terminal block to ground (or something to that effect).

It's the red wire in the photo.

Post #82 in this thread: Builds - A pig for Father's Day - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/a-pig-for-fathers-day.1144426/page-5

That took about a minute by searching for "safety switch". I did skim through the sticky thread and it doesn't have a photo. It does, however, say to just run a ground from the safety switch connection on the terminal block to ground (or something to that effect).

It's the red wire in the photo.
Boom. that's the pic I was looking for !thanks. So that alone will do the trick re bypass?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom