Builds 94 FZJ80 - Let the Adventure Ensue (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

A 20 footer seems like a ‘tweeter. Bigger than needed for one car but not big enough for two. How about a big goose neck and haul two at a time?
20 gives you room for a box up front and some maneuvering space to get tongue weight right.

Last edited:
20 gives you rune for a box up front and dome maneuvering space to get tongue weight right.
A box can be mounted on the tongue. Balancing can be accomplished on any trailer. I’ve had a PJ tandem axle 12,500 lb gvw with 16’ flat bed since 2011.

A box can be mounted on the tongue. Balancing can be accomplished on any trailer. I’ve had a PJ tandem axle 12,500 lb gvw with 16’ flat bed since 2011.
Maybe i want 2 boxes? 😎

And no, correct tongue weight with a fixed mass load can't be accomplished on "any" trailer. It's definitely easier with a longer deck and at some point a deck becomes too short to get the load right.

Maybe i want 2 boxes? 😎

And no, correct tongue weight with a fixed mass load can't be accomplished on "any" trailer. It's definitely easier with a longer deck and at some point a deck becomes too short to get the
All trailers must have the load properly situated in order to track correctly and this is possible on any trailer. That’s my point. Good luck to the dude that try’s to haul an 80 on a 10’ single axle trailer. Logic does escape some people.

Holy ****, what's the difference? Buy a 16', buy a 34', Everyone here has to be ****ing right all the time. I was going to argue with @baldilocks since he contradicted himself above, but I thought about it ... and I just don't care. You do you dude.

Sorry to s*** up your thread, @FMC80

Well boys, the truth is my wife wanted the 28’ but god gave me the 20’ so we’re stick with it. She says she’s be okay if I had the 16’ but she can’t say it without tearing up. It is what it is. Thanks for the great banter. I’ll keep my weight forward.

@Somebodyelse5 Trip starts Friday. It was originally going to be just me. Then it became my wife and me. Now it’s my wife and two of my four kids. Who knows. By Friday it may be my whole family and in-laws too.

Well boys, the truth is my wife wanted the 28’ but god gave me the 20’ so we’re stick with it. She says she’s be okay if I had the 16’ but she can’t say it without tearing up. It is what it is. Thanks for the great banter. I’ll keep my weight forward.

@Somebodyelse5 Trip starts Friday. It was originally going to be just me. Then it became my wife and me. Now it’s my wife and two of my four kids. Who knows. By Friday it may be my whole family and in-laws too.

Drive safe. Are you taking the 10? I have good food rec’s if you go through el paso 👌

Otherwise, give me a shout when you’re in phx. There are plenty of tacos for in laws too.

Drive safe. Are you taking the 10? I have good food rec’s if you go through el paso 👌

Otherwise, give me a shout when you’re in phx. There are plenty of tacos for in laws too.
I-10 sucks ass. Especially if you're dragging a trailer.

Make sure you get insurance on the trailer and for anything loaded on the trailer. It's not automatically covered just because an insured truck is pulling it.

I-10 sucks ass. Especially if you're dragging a trailer.

Make sure you get insurance on the trailer and for anything loaded on the trailer. It's not automatically covered just because an insured truck is pulling it.
I’ll be taking the 40. I avoid the 10 if I can. And good point on insuring the trailer; however, my insurance coverage automatically extends from the vehicle I’m pulling with to the vehicle I’m pulling. Gotta love me some GEICO. I dropped USAA after 15 years of being with them because GEICO beat their rates for better coverage and same deductibles for $500 less per 6 months.
Thanks for the craniums up!

Glad I got the 20’. Crap picture. There’s room but that LC is freaking big. I thought I’d have a ton more room on the trailer but I don’t have an excess. All good anyway. I got these tire wraps from Tractor supply. I don’t like the fit despite the package stating it will fit my 33” tire. So I strapped that biotch down in 8 different places. I need to look into the strap store that @Broski told me about. Macscustomtiedowns.com is the place.

I hit the paint store today. I thought about taking a pic of the paints I bought but I paid way too much for it. I felt like vomiting. Luckily I got a military discount to cancel out the outrageous tax here. I chose top tier paints from Sherwin-Williams Automotive. I’m excited for my cruiser. She gets a new coat soon.

147D324A-7F61-43BD-8B2B-858749243E78.jpeg
0CB8C161-C2CB-485A-A105-168DED457409.jpeg

Yeah, man... paint has gotten WAYYYY out of hand. Speaking of military discounts, Lowe's just dumped appliances, lumber, and a bunch of other stuff off their list of military discount items. Basically, any item that would allow them to lose too much money is now off the list.

Here are the paints:
B59D48A2-648A-4174-817A-B19A7F4E3495.jpeg
58C3A4F5-B4F4-4659-8580-0CE9E22E582C.jpeg
573736C2-B223-4AB6-849D-477E570D0C37.jpeg

The cost is unreal, especially because I wasn’t expecting it to be so astronomically high. Do I have buyers remorse? Not at all. Just shock. I’m in the wrong business.

Here are the paints:
View attachment 3281008View attachment 3281009View attachment 3281010
The cost is unreal, especially because I wasn’t expecting it to be so astronomically high. Do I have buyers remorse? Not at all. Just shock. I’m in the wrong business.
Markup is astronomical too.

I've managed to maintain my SW discount since running a GC company and get 50-70% off list for architectural coatings (helps to buy people off with bourbon). I've been told the markups on their industrial line up is worse, which blows my mind.

I've managed to maintain my SW discount since running a GC company and get 50-70% off list for architectural coatings (helps to buy people off with bourbon). I've been told the markups on their industrial line up is worse, which blows my mind.
You’re right. He rang everything up the first time and it totaled about $2k. Then he gave my military discount and settled around $1.8k. Then he sighed and hit some more buttons on the register and said, “well, let me see what else I can do. Okay, I got it down to $1630, but that’s the lowest I can go without raising any red flags.”

I’m sure he could’ve gone lower but I was thankful.

Here are the paints:
View attachment 3281008View attachment 3281009View attachment 3281010
Am I close at $1500?

Right now paint prices have more than tripled since 2020. We build industrial equipment and we cannot even find the "low end" enamels and have to go high end epoxies and polyurethanes, which drive those prices even higher, as demand is still there.

The paint companies cannot get individual ingredients due to Ukraine conflict, the supply chain issues out of Chyna (chemicals).
Aluminum flake for paint (high temp) is in VERY short supply right now.

Hope they got it right. Make sure you have them spray about (10) sample chips on small pieces of steel for you to save for future color mixing in the event of a collision and SAVE YOUR FORMULAS. Take close up dated pics of the formulas on the cans.

Edit: Nope! You posted while I was typing.

Uh oh... fellow bourbon nerd here.

Made it to Flagstaff. We had an uneventful trip up until approximately 3 hours east of Flagstaff. I keep a healthy distance between the people in front of me. I don’t like following close because people are forking stupid. I was in the left lane and the snow began falling and when a Ford F-150 in front of me in the right lane decided to hit his brakes and lose control and fish tail all over the friggin I-40.

Mind you, there is a semi-truck behind me in the left lane and in front of the F-150. Doesn’t matter because the F-150 is sideways in front of me and I’m either going to plow into him or tap my brakes, or both. I tap my brakes. I go sideways. My trailer goes left and forward and my cab goes left and backward. Picture my truck and trailer making a “V” sideways down the I-40 and the road is perpendicular to my passenger side.

I counter-steered the shît out of the rig and safely recovered my family. The family, cruiser, and truck are fine.

It took about an hour for my wife and I to calm down to talk and eventually laugh about it.

Now it is time to meet my painter and begin removing my thirds. After I feed my kids. And change my underwear.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom