'91 Toyota Land Cruiser ECU search (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello--I have a '91 Toyota fj80 with 230,xxx. Recently, it began to idle roughly and would not go over 30 mph. I was informed that l need a new ECU. Does anyone have a source for one? Thanks in advance

In an effort to help, why don't you give us all the symptoms so we can diagnose it a bit? Is there a check engine light? What are the codes if so? Is your air intake tube ripped, letting unmetered air into the system? Are the vacuum lines intact?

I only ask because I'd be surprised if you actually need an ECU. And generally with 1991's the electronics either work, or they don't. There's nothing in between.

Hello--I have a '91 Toyota fj80 with 230,xxx. Recently, it began to idle roughly and would not go over 30 mph. I was informed that l need a new ECU. Does anyone have a source for one? Thanks in advance
If the ECU was faulty, this engine wouldn't run. What diagnosis was done? Or is this simply a guess by someone without experience with a 3FE?

i do have a few 3fe parts left, 2 ECUs i think.

Random guess on my part but could be a simple vacuum line might have slipped off. Here is a vacuum line diagram for the 3FE pulled off of a thread on here

IMG_5808.jpeg

The techs at my local Toyota dealership that is working on my Toyota says that the ECU has a faulty ground and is not sending signals to three of the six cylinders. They did find one vacuum leak. I found a company in Illinois that can service and repair my ECU.

The techs at my local Toyota dealership that is working on my Toyota says that the ECU has a faulty ground and is not sending signals to three of the six cylinders. They did find one vacuum leak. I found a company in Illinois that can service and repair my ECU.
I've got to say that this diagnosis is highly unlikely to be the ECU. The ECU grounds the 2 sets of injectors individually. If it's able to fire 1 set of 3, there is no reason to think that it won't be able to fire the second set unless there is a failure in the wiring from the ecu to the injectors.
I'm not saying that it's impossible to be the ECU, but ECU failures on a 3FE are exceedingly rare. In the last 20 years I think I've heard about 5.

I would be checking continuity between ECU connector E4 pins 10 and 20 to the 2 groups of injectors. Pin 10 is injector 1-3. Pin 20 is injector 4-6.
Also be certain that all injectors are getting +12 with the ignition switch ON to pin 2 of each injector (black/green stripe).
If all that checks out, then you can assume the ECU is at fault.

1698169891832.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom