8x Series V8 Swaps (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I own a 97 FJZ 80 and want to install a LT-1 v8 what should I know about smog limitations here in the san francisco bay area CALIFORNIA ?
You guys are on an island out there in CA. I can only imagine how hard it is to work on hot rods there. I find it surprising you would have to switch the entire fuel system over. As long as the Toyota system is intact and functioning here in CT it passes fine. Fuel vapors are fuel vapors and they behave the same no matter what tank they are in. The red tape B/S really doesn't make sense.

Direct injection would prob put it on par with proper running diesels, as far as mileage goes. I know a couple of my neighbors getting low 20’s on crew cab 4x4 silverados. I thought that was amazing(or bull****).

You guys are on an island out there in CA. I can only imagine how hard it is to work on hot rods there. I find it surprising you would have to switch the entire fuel system over. As long as the Toyota system is intact and functioning here in CT it passes fine. Fuel vapors are fuel vapors and they behave the same no matter what tank they are in. The red tape B/S really doesn't make sense.

The red tape BS is one of the things we Californians put up with so we can reap the benefits of crowded roads and freeways that are not maintained, a public school system that is generally s***ty, high taxes, high fuel prices, plentiful handouts to the homeless, illegals, drug addicts, losers etc.

The red tape BS is one of the things we Californians put up with so we can reap the benefits of crowded roads and freeways that are not maintained, a public school system that is generally s***ty, high taxes, high fuel prices, plentiful handouts to the homeless, illegals, drug addicts, losers etc.
Yeah, can’t imagine why i left there, oh... wait....hehee

Has anyone ever taken the blend valve out of the system? What will happen if it take it out? It looks extremely hideous and I think just running the one port would clean up my coolant lines alot

I guessing it'll blow hot all the time but I won't be running AC , just curious if i can control everything via the fans

Has anyone ever taken the blend valve out of the system? What will happen if it take it out? It looks extremely hideous and I think just running the one port would clean up my coolant lines alot

I guessing it'll blow hot all the time but I won't be running AC , just curious if i can control everything via the fans

I ran without the valve for about a year and it wasn't noticeable while using the AC. I have since reinstalled the valve just because.

I ran without the valve for about a year and it wasn't noticeable while using the AC. I have since reinstalled the valve just because.

Perfect out it comes, I would be throwing it away but it's going out for now

2UZ progress

I own a 97 FJZ 80 and want to install a LT-1 v8 what should I know about smog limitations here in the san francisco bay area CALIFORNIA ?

It will be very difficult to get it to pass california smog. Better to install a carb approved E-rod engine from chevy. LT1 is a old engine anyway and their is much more support for LS conversions.

You can't use the E-Rod because they are only good for pre-OBD2 vehicles. I agree with everyone that you should get the idea of an LT1 out of your head but I wouldn't write off doing a LS based GM engine swap in CA. (Disclaimer: Don't think I'm making it sound cheap or easy.) The swap isn't that bad. You need to run the factory GM cats really close to their stock location, EGR (if the engine had it), and the evap system which, depending on generation, may include a fuel tank pressure sensor and as far as emissions components I think that's it. The biggest issue (which hopefully I can be a part in changing) is the fact that when they plug in at the ref they are going to see the ECM programming is "adjusted", for the lack of better words, right now because the VATS is deleted. This is just anti-theft and I apologize if this has been gone over in this thread before, but, has zero affect on emissions output. I have not done a smog legal swap in an 80 series yet but I've done a few in other vehicles, both OBD1 and OBD2. Once I get caught up on orders and stock for the shop I will be embarking on a 5.3 and 6L80 swap in my 94 FZJ80. I will document the whole deal and I have about 100 questions for the smog ref this go around (he loves me because I make him think!) that I will gladly share the answers too.

I just had to look up specs on the LT1. I was thinking 96 was the last year anyways since the LS1 appeared in 97 but it looks as if that engine was actually still available in 9. Rambling via keyboard but the engine must be the same year or newer than the vehicle.

Lastly, I make no claim to be the all knowing so if anyone knows otherwise for certain please chime in. Thanks!

You can't use the E-Rod because they are only good for pre-OBD2 vehicles. I agree with everyone that you should get the idea of an LT1 out of your head but I wouldn't write off doing a LS based GM engine swap in CA. (Disclaimer: Don't think I'm making it sound cheap or easy.) The swap isn't that bad. You need to run the factory GM cats really close to their stock location, EGR (if the engine had it), and the evap system which, depending on generation, may include a fuel tank pressure sensor and as far as emissions components I think that's it. The biggest issue (which hopefully I can be a part in changing) is the fact that when they plug in at the ref they are going to see the ECM programming is "adjusted", for the lack of better words, right now because the VATS is deleted. This is just anti-theft and I apologize if this has been gone over in this thread before, but, has zero affect on emissions output. I have not done a smog legal swap in an 80 series yet but I've done a few in other vehicles, both OBD1 and OBD2. Once I get caught up on orders and stock for the shop I will be embarking on a 5.3 and 6L80 swap in my 94 FZJ80. I will document the whole deal and I have about 100 questions for the smog ref this go around (he loves me because I make him think!) that I will gladly share the answers too.

I just had to look up specs on the LT1. I was thinking 96 was the last year anyways since the LS1 appeared in 97 but it looks as if that engine was actually still available in 9. Rambling via keyboard but the engine must be the same year or newer than the vehicle.

Lastly, I make no claim to be the all knowing so if anyone knows otherwise for certain please chime in. Thanks!
So it appears you can keep the stock gas tank. That would make the most sense. The only issue I had in CT is that the vin number in the ecm didn't match the registration. It actually hasn't been a problem with my 80 yet but it was with my Jeep when I put a 6.ol in that 5 or 6 years ago. Just waiting for the day they question it on my 80

So it appears you can keep the stock gas tank. That would make the most sense. The only issue I had in CT is that the vin number in the ecm didn't match the registration. It actually hasn't been a problem with my 80 yet but it was with my Jeep when I put a 6.ol in that 5 or 6 years ago. Just waiting for the day they question it on my 80

Some of the laws are very goofy. The VIN thing seems very odd to me but I've come across many things that make me scratch my head. One very odd one out here is that you can't have the exhaust system run forward in any manner. It makes no change in emission output and you can still place the cat in its proper distance. What it allows is the differential side exhaust from the manifold to clear the axle much better. That is for sure one of the things I'm gonna argue. Maybe I'll lose or maybe I'll get my point across. Hopefully the latter but I am realizing that sometimes you gotta realize the smog referees and the people at the B.A.R. are humans and with persistence there has to be someone who sees reason.

The 2014 and upwards Gen5 is also an LT1 or LT4 depending on donor car, so not exclusive name to the mid '90s LT1's. I installed a '95 LT1 in an FJ60 so am familiar with it.

The 2014 and upwards Gen5 is also an LT1 or LT4 depending on donor car, so not exclusive name to the mid '90s LT1's. I installed a '95 LT1 in an FJ60 so am familiar with it.

You are totally right and I guess I shouldn't assume he's talking about the 90's LT series engine. I wonder if the Gen5 stuff opens a bunch of new cans of worms with the direct injection? It may be similar to Gen4 but I am completely unfamiliar.

Last edited:
I have been studying the new LT1 Gen5 setups. There is finally some recent info coming out about them. Since they will take an entirely different exhaust manifold, new block hugger versions will probably be necessary. No power steering pump so that will have to be addressed. There is a vacuum pump where the power steering pump would reside. Supplement vacuum is necessary for the brakes as there isn't sufficient vacuum apparently. Holley does make accessory drive brackets and show the power steering pump in the drivers side and state the vacuum pump can stay.

I am very interested in doing this swap. My company truck is a 2015 Silverado 5.3 and is so smooth and powerful. I want that in my LX450 as well but may opt for a gen 4 and 6L80.

I have been studying the new LT1 Gen5 setups. There is finally some recent info coming out about them. Since they will take an entirely different exhaust manifold, new block hugger versions will probably be necessary. No power steering pump so that will have to be addressed. There is a vacuum pump where the power steering pump would reside. Supplement vacuum is necessary for the brakes as there isn't sufficient vacuum apparently. Holley does make accessory drive brackets and show the power steering pump in the drivers side and state the vacuum pump can stay.

I am very interested in doing this swap. My company truck is a 2015 Silverado 5.3 and is so smooth and powerful. I want that in my LX450 as well but may opt for a gen 4 and 6L80.

Personally I would stick with the GEN4 stuff. I think the performance will be pretty similar and less hassles like figuring out power steering pumps and exhaust parts.

I think Car-Part would be ok to locate but I would make sure its a reputable yard selling the drivetrain. LKQ is another option if you have them in your area.

Where is a good place to source out these motors and trannys? Car-part.com?

I sourced my L92 from car-part. Just be sure to have eyes on the engine and make sure it comes with all accessories, wiring, pcm, dbw pedal, ect...

I bought my 6l80e rebuilt/reman'd from a company on ebay. I didn't want to roll the dice on a used GM tranny.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom