89' FJ62 Replacement AC Condenser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After a fun battle of me versus FJ62, I had the unfortunate dimwitted luck of puncturing my AC Condenser while drilling out a seized bolt in the center grill.

Refrigerant burst out all over the place leaving the engine bay with an Irish spring green mint feel.

I looked in the threads and it seems the 1989 takes a Denso 477-0146. This is also what partsgeek and rock auto say .

However, all the images I am seeing show the valves on the driver's side. It seems that mine has them in the passenger side .

Could the images I am seeing on Rock Auto and other sites be upside down?

My dryer is on the passenger side, so I am a little baffled.

Thanks!!

IMG_20180915_120022009.jpg

IMG_20181007_173924911.jpg

IMG_20181007_173913913.jpg

Screenshot_2018-10-07-22-24-16.png

Yup, pic is upside down

Thanks @red66toy when I saw that both rock and partsgeek had it upside down I started to think I was going crazy.

While I am in there... Do you think it's worth buying a new expansion valve too?

I got mine from RockAuto....it was an exact replacement....good quality and i think about $150.

Thanks for the confirmations and responses @mobydick . Decided to go with the true and tested Denso. Rock Auto $150 out the door.

I dig that aftermarket condenser @MANUCHAO it actually doesn't have the hardline cutting across the front, so you could more easily mount an intercooler OR an aftermarket SPAL fan... Alright next time I F-up my condenser I'll check that model out.

While you're waiting for your new condenser, now is the time to tackle the fitting where the a/c dryer line and horizonal line of the old condenser meet. The Steel female fitting on the dryer line can gall or seize on the male end of the aluminum tube on the condenser. May need some heat to break it loose. For me the aluminum stripped and filled the threads inside the steel fitting. I first removed the battery and tray then removed the short section of line from the dryer. I put in a vice and used map gas to melt the aluminum from the threads. I was able to reuse the line with new o rings.

@g-man I will have to check that out. Anytime I dig into a system I end up replacing a majority of the parts. Hard to know when to stop .

You're gonna have to break this connection anyway to install the new condenser. You may need some time to tackle it. While your system is drained you may want to think about pulling the evap out from under the dash....cleaning it and changing out the expansion valve.

BTW the connection I'm talking about is pictured in your first image below the one that is leaking.

Thanks @g-man Yeah, I am familiar with that crappy connection point. It was leaking previously. Just had a new o-ring put in.

I've been thinking about the evap core under the dash. Seems pretty cheap to buy a new one on RockAuto for $80 and expansion valves are $20 bucks both by Denso.

I am most interested in popping the new condenser back into the truck, so I can put my new radiator back in, button up the front-end. I can figure out the AC later on once the truck is driving again. Since I don't really need AC in the Fall/Winter.

Just did the exact same thing today, FML.

Has anyone found the Denso 4770146 available recently? It's not currently on RA and the only place I found it "available" is Jegs, with an "estimated ship date of 8/31" which makes me a little nervous that it will get back ordered or something and not show up.
TIA

Last edited:
Yup, pic is upside down
No no, pic is right. His 62 is clearly upside down....

To be serious though, do you remember the part number of the generic condenser you had gotten?

No no, pic is right. His 62 is clearly upside down....

To be serious though, do you remember the part number of the generic condenser you had gotten?
I dont remember the part number. But I have the dimensions from CoolStream: 14x26x5/8 . I got new lines made for it but that was ok since the OEM lines were super old and had rusted fittings and due for replacement anyways. You may be able to fit a thicker condenser in there. However I have been happy with the AC in my FJ62 since this swap.
condenser .jpeg

I dont remember the part number. But I have the dimensions from CoolStream: 14x26x5/8 . I got new lines made for it but that was ok since the OEM lines were super old and had rusted fittings and due for replacement anyways. You may be able to fit a thicker condenser in there. However I have been happy with the AC in my FJ62 since this swap.
View attachment 3396265
A noticeable improvement then, huh?

A noticeable improvement then, huh?
Well I mean I went from broken system that didn't work to a full refresh so it definitely made a difference. :) I went with the parallel flow at the time since its more efficient compared to the tube and fin. I was hoping to make up the drop in cooling efficiency with the R134a compared to the R12. Cant say it completely compensated but that was the goal. The system works great!

So this should fit?
And then I need a shop to make up some lines to adapt to what is there?
As with many repairs, turning into more than I bargained for.... but I'm grateful for this community!

So this should fit?
And then I need a shop to make up some lines to adapt to what is there?
As with many repairs, turning into more than I bargained for.... but I'm grateful for this community!
Yeah, as parts get rarer and rarer its on us to find work around solutions. Thankfully the cruiser community is endlessly creative and skilled. Super thankful for it.
Looks like it should fit. A little shorter. So here is how mine is mounted. You can see the little brackets I made that use the factory rubber bushing mounts. Super simple with a dremel. Then I had new lines made.
condenser.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom