‘89 FJ62 power steering wuestion (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
While desmoging and fixing a timing plate oil leak, I discovered a leaking power steering hose so replaced both hoses to and from pump. I’ve got the truck back together enough to start the engine and check for leaks.

My question-do I need to do anything other than fill the PS reservoir (and keep it full) before starting the engine? Not sure how I could bleed or prime the lines but figured I’d ask before ruining something!

Thx
Bri

While desmoging and fixing a timing plate oil leak, I discovered a leaking power steering hose so replaced both hoses to and from pump. I’ve got the truck back together enough to start the engine and check for leaks.

My question-do I need to do anything other than fill the PS reservoir (and keep it full) before starting the engine? Not sure how I could bleed or prime the lines but figured I’d ask before ruining something!

Thx
Bri

the
1st question is what fluid to use

the 2nd question is how long to rotate / crank ONLY the engine , coil wire pulled to slowly and carefully prime the system best you can

this = ZERO Air bubbles and red FOAM spewing out the Reservoir :)

- you keep cap ON and tight , you crate a air-pocket DAM

u will need a nice fully charged battery on this too ....

- do we take any major internal engine repair fill the 8.5 qts , and install what ever filter of the week TOYOTA offers uas
, crank motor and let the fast idle cycle do the at job for us , i don't ...........

we manually prime the oil pump screw driver , till it flows out the rocker arms

then crank engine till cluster meter need twitches a bitt good

then we start engine ....

little or NO metal on metal no lube film contact ....

Last edited:
Let me see if I understand:

First question-ATF for PS-it says it on the cap and it’s Toyota’s way of doing things and it’s how I found the leaking hoses because I thought it was trans cooler lines that were costing the whole front if the truck with red stuff.

Second question-are you saying fill it, crank it a bit, check the reservoir for foam or bubbles, close the lid and repeat until fluid is clear?

Let me see if I understand:

First question-ATF for PS-it says it on the cap and it’s Toyota’s way of doing things and it’s how I found the leaking hoses because I thought it was trans cooler lines that were costing the whole front if the truck with red stuff.

Second question-are you saying fill it, crank it a bit, check the reservoir for foam or bubbles, close the lid and repeat until fluid is clear?

This is the API / American Petroleum Institute ,s highest scores / rated for a DEX I , II , III and TOYOTA Type T-IV ATF fluid …

It also meets all the JIS TOYOTA specs. as well ,

This is NOT a blend it’s 💯 % Full Synthetic…

I have used this all my driving life and its recipie has remained pretty much un-changed …

I have zero poor faq tech. to report …both on clients Toyotas and my own …

Faq check the Rocket 🚀 science , it’s real and so are long term use results , I use it in the wife’s 2002 4dr 3.4L 5VZ-FE ATM as well ..

Note : this DOES NOT cover the new toyota world service specs …

This is the brake and clutch Fluid I use Accross the board now too …

FADD5EC8-D459-40BD-A01D-E11684494908.jpeg
87AD45F1-4260-4278-B85D-2FB97AB5D7A8.jpeg
BEB3AA3C-4A5E-4D00-9ACC-4536494E85A0.jpeg

Thx
Bri
prior to starting, fill up the PS reservoir. Jack up front end and put front axle on jack stands so that you can rotate the wheels freely. Start vehicle, observe bubbles in reservoir, slowly turn steering wheel from lock to lock until bubbles dissipate. I think I did this about 30-40 times. Once all groaning of gear box go away, and the bubbles have stopped bubbling up, you are GTG. Double check the fluid level.

Thanks for the info.

Since we are on the subject of preferred fluids and I have to also put oil and coolant back in to the 360k motor, what are your preferred brands and weights?

Live in McAll ID at 6000 ft driving mostly back country at >25 mph.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom