82' fj40 carb question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hey all,

just wondering if anyone can shed some light on my problem,
72 fj40 with 82' 2f engine desmogged... had my carb was recently rebuilt in Chicago by my mechanic, drove the cruiser cross country to AZ. (fun times) no problems..for a couple months... but, have recently started to loose power especially around corners. did a tune up, plugs, rotor, wires and that certainly helped but, perhaps the secondary diaphragm should be replaced?.any thoughts or insights would be appreciated...

What is the level of fuel in the window in the carb bowl at idle?

Should be half way. If it is low maybe the fuel level won't reach that needed by the main jet in turns. Does it only cut out turning in one direction?

"Lose power" is a little vague. A better description might lead to a better suggestion.

I'll try a search,
yes the truck feels starved for fuel on any moderate corner left or right then picks back up after a moment of forward momentum.
i have replaced the gas tank and blew out the lines at the time of the rebuild.
i'll check the sight glass today and let you know what i find...thanks

Also check for an inline fuel filter. Mine does this and I always know what it is - the filter needs replacing. Also, how many miles on fuel pump? Over 50k, buy a new one from Toy and keep it handy.

It is not likely to be fuel related if it acts the same turning both directions.

Are you sure that it is turn related and not just transitioning from engine braking to acceleration?

I couldn't find anything on my search. I know it's in here somewhere tho.
Also, check your vacuum at the carb... try a "T" fitting on a vacuum hose to your carb and run the vacuum gauge into the cab and see what it does when you turn.
HTH

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom