FJ40 Relocation: Beach -> Mountain, Carb Adjustments (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

LakeLaurashawn

SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.lakelaurashawn.net
Good Morning Mud!

I am relocating my stock 1972 FJ40 from Carlsbad CA as a beach cruiser to Heber Valley UT where she will become a cabin cruiser. In doing so the running elevation will go from sea level to roughly 7,000 feet.

Reaching out to the land of guru’s for advice on what carburetor adjustments I need to consider.

Currently at sea level, she runs great and I’d like to be ready with the right parts (if needed) and prepared for the correct adjustments in advance. I know everyone like pictures, here is her new home that is completing construction!

Thanks
Lake

tempImageumwJcQ.png

When I went from sea-level to Colorado to wheel while on vacation I would advance the timing to Idle speed on my sbc. The higher the elevation required more timing. It ran better but sluggish. It was a temporary adjustment because I was there for 2 weeks at a time. Once your settled at your new location you should probably set up the carb and timing up for your elevation. Even with more timing it's still going to run rich without internal carb adjustments. Or go to fuel injection.

Last edited:
Thanks, I will start with timing and idle adjustments.

If jets are needed, is there a suggestion on which ones I should start looking for?

Lake
Jets are a slippery slope and availability has become an issue (unless there are some aftermarket versions out there now). If it were me, I'd make the changes suggested above, run it for a while, and then see how the spark plugs look. If it's really rich, then maybe start looking at jetting it down one size at a time.

Traditionally, there are two extra jets hidden in the carb float bowl behind the two drain plugs. IIRC, they are for high altitude applications. Take a look, they may still be there

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom