80 series sleeping setups? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well, here's what I did after getting some inspiration here and in other threads:
https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-...rawer-system.html?highlight=camper+conversion

More on our expedition rig w/ M101 CDN:
https://forum.ih8mud.com/trailer-te...epmts-return-home-swimming-lake-superior.html

Lots of ideas for 80s in this thread:
https://forum.ih8mud.com/camping-outdoor-gear/218229-sleeping-truck-vs-tent.html

My platform height is lower than most conversions, even lower than the African Outback system. There's less storage underneath, but it makes for a better sleeper if you try to sit up and you're 6'2". When constructing your system, make sure the platform height is right for all your anticipated needs as this is a crucial design factor. If you get it wrong, it's a heck of a lot of work to change it without starting from scratch.

One pic as a tease...
BigSpread13.jpg

There are some great setups in here.

I tried to keep mine as cheap as I could and so far I think I have about 150-175into it. I also have 2 cattle dogs that love to wander around the back end so carpet seemed the way to go for them. (pics are without carpet)

It's not finished yet, it needs tiedowns, locking setup, camp kitchen etc. It all comes apart and you can mount a single seat in the middle row, or both seats and leave the back storage in place. We can fit a full size air mattress on top and the dogs can sleep in the front seats.
100_0967.jpg
100_0974.jpg
100_0976.jpg

Here's a link to mine.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/ca-bc-coas...y-modded-drawer-system-warfield-off-road.html

I've since got an RTT for longer trips, but in those circumstances the inside "bed" is still super handy for gear. Plus it gives the dog a little playpen with a better view during normal driving. He's definitely a big fan of the setup. My bed extensions currently just rest on the folded down rear seats, but one day I'll get around to putting in legs so the seats can be removed to free up storage.

The :princess: and I are currently DINKs so we have the bed set up almost all the time and we just lie down back there any time we're in a ferry lineup or whatever.

payara-offroad-albums-serie-80-picture19843-capatarida.jpg

On the left is the roof tent opened and on the right is closed.

Better than sleeping inside.

Here is my drawer system / sleeping platform. I bought everything I used to built this cabinet system at Home Depot with the exception of the runners for the drawer system - they are 500 LB runners. I had every piece of wood cut to length at the store so when I brought it home I really just had to assemble it.

It was amazingly inexpensive to build and very simple. It is solid as a rock as the whole thing is put together with 3/4 inch marine plywood, decking screws and wood glue. It has an extension that folds over the back seats when they are folded forward. It simply lays on the seat backs. When not in use, it folds back in place and is secured with a latch. Because of the simplicity of the build and the low cost I have been intending to put a build thread on Mud but haven't gotten around to it.

I built the drawer system to carry my tools, recovery equipment and extra parts. I built it as a sleeper so I would have the option of using a rooftop tent or simply sleeping in the vehicle. So far I have used it during mule deer season as I hunt in the middle of nowhere in West Texas. I am 5'10" and I can sleep with my legs completely straight and room to spare with the back closed.

I don't use a blow up bed because it makes it impossible to sit up. I bought padding that makes it feel as good as a bed. Keep the height in mind when building your drawer system or it will become a major hassle to get in and out of the sleeping area.
Drawer System Sleeping Platform - Copy.jpg

Last edited:
awesome thread. I am looking to make some sort of platform so i can take some trips towards the end of the summer/fall when the weather cools down a bit.

Here's Mine:

Sleeps 2 adults or 3 kids comfortably. Rear drawer system and just fold the 2nd row seats down.
435.jpg
434.jpg
232323232fp53992_nu=335__95;_777_WSNRCG=36954_7;8_337nu0mrj.jpg

The Simmons Beauty Rest futon mattress is nice. Sleeps like we are at home, but I'd like to find something a little more thin for even more head room that takes up less space when packed. I have a cover from Specter that pulls over the top and windows to keep out the light.

storage020.jpg

Hinges removed from front 2nd row legs to lower front edge of 2nd row seats 2 inches.
storage012.jpg

Solid and lightweight at 42lbs (not including tools). The entire set up (hi lift, tools, and anything else) is secured to the floor/wheel wells, but easily unfastened and removed.

storage014.jpg

12" woofer is long gone leaving all kinds of space under the front two panels.

storage021.jpg

I also have a tent that attaches to the back. The tent allows me to leave the back hatch open which is nice on warm nights.

Sleeps 2 adults or 3 kids comfortably. Rear drawer system and just fold the 2nd row seats down.

My favorite so far. You wouldn't happen to have a build thread for this would you?

!!wow!!! Seriously impressive work! If mine doesnt sell before summer ive gotta attempt to build a setup like this! Maybe we could trade labor:D u need a 3 link up front?

:idea: 3 Link, now you're talkin'. I might consider that trade.

Very crude but it worked. I stole the mattress from my old Sofa-Sleeper. Removed the 2nd row seats, but left the 3rd row for the kids.

Its not very compact but was some of the best sleep i have had in the woods!

IMG_3176.JPG

We make the kids sleep outside :)
IMG_3174.JPG

I too am interested in some measurements and dimensions used for some of these storage builds... i think thats going on my list of things to do :)

Here's the platfom I built for the back of our 80. Fits a queen size futon mattress with room to spare:

StorageBox108Panorama.gif

StorageBox102.jpg

StorageBox112.jpg

My wife & I just did a six night trip up around Yellowstone, and slept in the back of the Cruiser every night - very comfortable. It was really nice to not have to set up camp every night.
Very nice setup!! 3 questions:
1) Do you the interior dimensions in the back of the 80? You say it fits a queen mattress, but the only dimensions I've been able to find show it's only 58" wide.
2) Do you have the plans for this setup? I'm looking at installing/making something like this myself. (if its somewhere in the tread, my apologies!)
3) are you able to fold the rear seats up with the drawers in the back and remove/store the back half of the platform when not in use?

thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom