80 series rear axle with front axle Tundra brake mod (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My understanding is that they're literally strictly a parking brake, and not in any way an emergency brake. Are they not even sufficient as a parking brake? That was one of the reasons I've been wanting to go to an FZJ80 rear end. The locker and having discs (Toyota discs at that) and having a functional parking brake again.

when adjusted correctly and with good shoes they work on flat ground

well adjusted I would agree, if you drive 30 miles with the lever engaged forget about it.

So the thought I'm getting is if you're on a slight slope and want to stop long enough to get out and lock the hubs without shutting your engine off (5spd so obviously can't be left running if it's in gear), the FZJ80 parking brake is still not effective?

So the thought I'm getting is if you're on a slight slope and want to stop long enough to get out and lock the hubs without shutting your engine off (5spd so obviously can't be left running if it's in gear), the FZJ80 parking brake is still not effective?

If it's adjusted perfectly and the shoes are fresh and it's a slight slope, should be fine. For 95% of users, should be fine. Put it this way, it doesn't work for me and the way I use my truck so I installed line locks in both circuits.

If it's adjusted perfectly and the shoes are fresh and it's a slight slope, should be fine. For 95% of users, should be fine. Put it this way, it doesn't work for me and the way I use my truck so I installed line locks in both circuits.
Curious about the line locks. Electric? Manual? If the 80 series parking brake isn't all that great, I'll be looking at other options. Line locks, transfer case brake, possibly even developing a lever system for more mechanical advantage so I can better utilize Eldorado calipers on my current GM rear disc setup. My big complaint with that was that the hand lever couldn't put nearly enough force on the system to be effective.

Curious about the line locks. Electric? Manual? If the 80 series parking brake isn't all that great, I'll be looking at other options. Line locks, transfer case brake, possibly even developing a lever system for more mechanical advantage so I can better utilize Eldorado calipers on my current GM rear disc setup. My big complaint with that was that the hand lever couldn't put nearly enough force on the system to be effective.

just regular electric line locks from Summit. nothing special. Easy to install and then you just need buttons.

I'm surprised the drum parking brake is so bad. The ones on the 3rd gen 4runners work well which are for the main drum shoes. I'd want a system that's independent of the main brake hydraulics since if your brakes fail you'll want an independent system for stopping the car. I guess if you put in a line lock then you could still have the mechanical parking brake installed and it will never wear out of adjustment if you don't use it except in an emergency.

Carry a 4x4 or 6x6 block aroundor some tire chalks i know i know i am not helping but is an option not as easy as pulling the brake but no buttons no wiring

Carry a 4x4 or 6x6 block aroundor some tire chalks i know i know i am not helping but is an option not as easy as pulling the brake but no buttons no wiring
That's what I have been doing for when I park and shut down the engine actually. Want something that'll allow me to keep the engine running when I do just a quick hop out to lock or unlock the hubs though.

I'm surprised the drum parking brake is so bad. The ones on the 3rd gen 4runners work well which are for the main drum shoes. I'd want a system that's independent of the main brake hydraulics since if your brakes fail you'll want an independent system for stopping the car. I guess if you put in a line lock then you could still have the mechanical parking brake installed and it will never wear out of adjustment if you don't use it except in an emergency.

the 60 drum parking brake is great when set up right. The 80 disc parking brake is not great. it's has about half of the brake shoe width and half the diameter when compared to a 60 drum, something like less then half the overall contact surface area

My parking brake system is all still there i just don't plan on using it any more. I would never rely on it in a emergency situation though.

the 60 drum parking brake is great when set up right. The 80 disc parking brake is not great.
I mean the one with the little drums on the inside of the discs. So that one is crap? I think FJ80's had the semi float drum brakes which probably had a better e brake being the whole drum is used rather than the FZJ mini ones on the FF rears

I mean the one with the little drums on the inside of the discs. So that one is crap? I think FJ80's had the semi float drum brakes which probably had a better e brake being the whole drum is used rather than the FZJ mini ones on the FF rears

Yes, in my opinion, correct, and yes. But no point in using the FJ80 semi float vs the FJ60 rear, there is not upgrade there, they are the same axle in all ways besides width and the 80 diff offset being not ideal for a 60

@cruisermatt

Did you do a post in your build thread about the line locks?

Has anyone replaced the 62 or added the 80 sway bar to the 80 rear axle?

What effect if any does the more centrally located 80 diff make in drive shaft length or U-joint angle?

Thanks

Has anyone replaced the 62 or added the 80 sway bar to the 80 rear axle?

What effect if any does the more centrally located 80 diff make in drive shaft length or U-joint angle?

Thanks

The 60 sway bar won’t work on the 80 axle because of the way it wraps around the diff, and I THINK the 80 sway bar tries to take up the same space as the leaf springs

The diff offset difference isn’t ideal but it’s fine if you have adequate driveshaft length and fresh u-joints. I have a pretty short driveshaft and even a pretty steep angle as well and don’t have vibration issues even at +100 mph

The 60 sway bar won’t work on the 80 axle because of the way it wraps around the diff, and I THINK the 80 sway bar tries to take up the same space as the leaf springs

The diff offset difference isn’t ideal but it’s fine if you have adequate driveshaft length and fresh u-joints. I have a pretty short driveshaft and even a pretty steep angle as well and don’t have vibration issues even at +100 mph

Thanks, Matt.

I'm encountering these unaddressed problems with an install right now. HJ-61 is loaded pretty heavy and I would really like to keep the sway bar or use the stiffer 80 bar. Running SUA OME heavies with an extra leaf and have both a hard ride and undesired sway. Wondering if airbags offer any roll mitigation. Not too worried about articulation on this vehicle but don't want to unnecessarily limit it.

5-speed so it has the longer drive shaft than the auto rigs. Seems like I read where someone used the short splined segment of an 80 shaft into the long segment of a 60. Splines were longer.

FZJ80 rear axle with FJ62 frame; the FZJ80 rear sway bar will not work. I have both sway bars in the garage and can take pictures under my rear axle if needed.

Thanks, Matt.

I'm encountering these unaddressed problems with an install right now. HJ-61 is loaded pretty heavy and I would really like to keep the sway bar or use the stiffer 80 bar. Running SUA OME heavies with an extra leaf and have both a hard ride and undesired sway. Wondering if airbags offer any roll mitigation. Not too worried about articulation on this vehicle but don't want to unnecessarily limit it.

5-speed so it has the longer drive shaft than the auto rigs. Seems like I read where someone used the short splined segment of an 80 shaft into the long segment of a 60. Splines were longer.

Air bags would certainly be a good quick, cheap and easy option. Quality shocks help too. If you want a sway bar I'm sure you can find something that would work but I would be looking at outside of Land Cruisers for that. This usually means a few hours at the junkyard or cruising through Rock Auto pictures. A lot of domestic truck front sway bars are more straightforward in terms of shape and mounting and would be a lot easier use, I'd like to see someone mount one behind the rear axle up between the frame rails.

Air bags would certainly be a good quick, cheap and easy option. Quality shocks help too. If you want a sway bar I'm sure you can find something that would work but I would be looking at outside of Land Cruisers for that. This usually means a few hours at the junkyard or cruising through Rock Auto pictures. A lot of domestic truck front sway bars are more straightforward in terms of shape and mounting and would be a lot easier use, I'd like to see someone mount one behind the rear axle up between the frame rails.
Ive seen Matt mstoffregen use currie sway bar in the rear

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom