80 Series Part 2: Electric Boogaloo (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Bludozer

SILVER Star
Threads
Welcome to my 80 Series thread: aka Electric boogaloo aka the takeout transporter aka the blue line chase truck

Well, here we go. Now that I've sold my other truck, clearly what this site needs is yet another 80 series "build" thread. Are you ready for page after page of unnecessary maintenance cataloging? Do incoherent and overly wordy ramblings about unnecessary and meaningless BS, like what bumper to choose or what kind of tire to go with interest you? Then you have come to the right thread. Wipe the sweat off your eager brows now because I might even constantly talk about wheeling but mostly just drive to work and take my wife out to dinner. Much of its "use" will be when I chase blue lines on a map via forest service roads so I can cast flies directly at trees.

Make no mistake, this is an entirely selfish endeavor. This thread solely exists so I can reference it in the future when I can't remember whether or not I performed (or had performed) X task.

The specs:

1997 Lexus LX450, 233k miles, Champagne Pearl 1B1, tan interior, clean history, Texas truck

Things that were done ~1 year ago by the PO:

- Oil Pump
- Oil pump seal
- Alternator belt idler pulley
- A/C Compressor belt idler pulley
- Cooling system thermostat and seal
- Water Pump
- Front main engine seal
- Distributor O-ring seal
- Distributor cap
- Distributor rotor
- Ignition harness/spark plug wires
- Spark Plugs – Denso Iridium
- Oil Change - Mobile 1 full synthetic 5W-30W motor oil
- Oil filter (Toyota OEM)
- All primary radiator hoses(Gates)
- Green Coolant
- Alternator belts(OEM)
- A/C Compressor belt(OEM)
- Air filter replaced(OEM)
- Both large vacuum hoses from valve cover to intake plenum
- New radiator
- New intake plenum large rubber duct/hose
- PHH done
- Power Steering Pump
- Possible top end work
- Releather front seats and steering wheel
- Window channel runs
- New visors
- Front Differential Full Synthetic Royal Purple Max Gear 75W-90W
- Rear Differential Full Synthetic Royal Purple Max Gear 75W-90W
- Transfer Case Full Synthetic Royal Purple Max Gear 75W-90W

Upgrades Installed by PO:

- 2.5 Dobinson Progressive coils + Ironman shocks
- OPOR Sliders
- Melvill and Moon Seat Covers
- Escape Gear Dash Pad
- Drilled/slotted/whatever rotors
- Blue Hub Fan Clutch
- Single Din Radio
- Aftermarket speakers
- Window Tint
- Wits End Cubby insert
- A black square on the hood for some reason
- Pin 7 Mod with factory switch

Current Planned Maintenance/Fixes:

- All Suspension Bushings DONE
- Plug roof rack holes DONE (but would eventually like to cut/weld)
- New Interstate Battery DONE
- Throttle Cable
- Remove rear mud flaps DONE
- Remove dumbass black hood square DONE
- Pull out any minor dents/dings
- Drain/refill trans DONE
- New Front/Rear Driveshafts DONE
- New U-joints DONE
- Unplug sunroof drains DONE
- Shaky DS and PS mirrors DONE
- Hood/Rear Hatch Struts DONE
- Fusible Link DONE
- Speedo Correction DONE
- Get a second key
- Japanese Wiper Blades DONE
- Both O2 sensors DONE
- Replace s***ty Exhaust DONE
- Knuckle Rebuild DONE
- TRE's DONE
- Steering Stabilizer DONE
- Air Filter DONE
- Starter DONE
- Fuel Filter ORDERED
- Alternator DONE
- Change out rear springs to Slinky HD DONE
- Driver and Passenger Seat Gears DONE
- PCV Valve Kit DONE
- Power Steering Pump and Hoses
- Clean out throttle body DONE
- Valve Cover Gasket/Tube Seals DONE
- Driver and Passenger Window Motors/Regulators

"Planned" Upgrades:

- Delta Panhard Bracket DONE
- LCP Batt Upgrade Bracket DONE
- Rear Drawers DONE (Big Country 4x4)
- HD Rear Sway Bar DONE (White Line)
- HD Rear Sway Bar Links DONE (Landtank)
- VC120 Charcoal Canister DONE
- Speski Barrier DONE
- Dual Swing Out Rear Bumper DONE (went 4x4 labs)
- Slee Shortbus Front Bumper (if I can ever get a hold of one) with Warn 9.5XP DONE
- Roof Rack
- Wits End Fire Extinguisher Mount w Halotron extinguisher and NB300 mount ORDERED
- 4.88 R&P DONE
- Rear Harrop Locker DONE
- Extended Diff Breathers
- 315/75r16 Goodyear MTR DONE
- Weathertech Mats
- Delta VS Radius Arms DONE
- Skid Plates
- 3.1:1 Low Range Reduction Gears
- Replace suspension, feels like a '72 Cadillac, not in a good way DONE (went DVS/Icon)
- Front Adjustable Panhard DONE (went Ironman)
- Figure out a coolant temp gauge set up - sick of POS ultragauges DONE
- Stainless Steel Brakelines DONE
- Landtank Lower Control Arms DONE
- Factor 55 Flat Link

Last edited:
Odometer reading the day I drove it home:

IMG_4940.jpg

Dang, nice looking rig with some things already sorted out. Looking forward to critiquing or shamelessly stealing your awesome ideas for the truck. Subscribed to the build thread so I can get motivated to get my 80 back on the road. Build thread to come......

- 2.5 Dobinson Progressive coils + Ironman shocks

- Replace suspension, feels like a '72 Cadillac, not in a good way

On this topic.. Are you planning to replace the coils, shocks, both, or are you talking about bushings? I was considering Dobinson progressives for my next stage (have OME stock height right now and are fine on the road but too harsh offroad). Just wondering if I'm barking up the wrong tree with the progressives. Still, if you do replace them I may be interested.

thanks. I must have missed that. Any one know of a source in the US for these?

Hey looks good! Basically the same as the truck I bought last fall. Looks like I need to copy and paste your to-do list and get busy. Looks like fun! In a fit of frustration one day I pulled off all the tupperware. Now fixing that is on my list. I'll be keeping up with your progress and hopefully it'll keep me inspired to get all my stuff done.

Dang, nice looking rig with some things already sorted out. Looking forward to critiquing or shamelessly stealing your awesome ideas for the truck. Subscribed to the build thread so I can get motivated to get my 80 back on the road. Build thread to come......
Thanks! Excited to get going. This will likely be a somewhat lengthy process though.

On this topic.. Are you planning to replace the coils, shocks, both, or are you talking about bushings? I was considering Dobinson progressives for my next stage (have OME stock height right now and are fine on the road but too harsh offroad). Just wondering if I'm barking up the wrong tree with the progressives. Still, if you do replace them I may be interested.
Not at the top of the list right now, but at some point both shocks and coils will be replaced in addition to all bushings. I haven't had them off road yet but on road is very plush. My concern is how everything will sit when the truck is loaded down.

Hey looks good! Basically the same as the truck I bought last fall. Looks like I need to copy and paste your to-do list and get busy. Looks like fun! In a fit of frustration one day I pulled off all the tupperware. Now fixing that is on my list. I'll be keeping up with your progress and hopefully it'll keep me inspired to get all my stuff done.
The cladding is growing on me, though there are lots of good reasons to ditch it.

This was a couple of weeks ago now but installed this month's Mud Meme Mod: the Delta PLB. Some impressions - rig feels more planted in corners and definitely more solid on the road with less rear end wiggle. As lots of things have been on here before, this product has been hyped up a lot lately. Is it worth it? I think so, yes. Will it literally melt your face off? Maybe not, but it most certainly helps.

IMG_5247.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome to my 80 Series thread: aka Electric boogaloo aka the takeout transporter aka the blue line chase truck

Well, here we go boys. Now that I've sold my other truck, clearly what this site needs is yet another 80 series "build" thread. Are you ready for page after page of unnecessary maintenance catalogging? Do incoherent and overly wordy ramblings about unnecessary and meaningless BS, like what bumper to choose or what kind of tire to go with interest you? ...Much of its "use" will be when I chase blue lines on a map via forest service roads so I can cast flies directly at trees.

Yes

Yes and ..YES!!!

What is "Possible top end work" by the PO? It's either done or it is not.

Nice rig. A kind of shotgun approach to the build making it pretty while making it more off-road capable. I never understood powder coating sliders or bumpers. They are going to take bumps and scratches if you really get off-road, so why not just sand away the surface rust and rattle can as needed?

What is "Possible top end work" by the PO? It's either done or it is not.

Nice rig. A kind of shotgun approach to the build making it pretty while making it more off-road capable. I never understood powder coating sliders or bumpers. They are going to take bumps and scratches if you really get off-road, so why not just sand away the surface rust and rattle can as needed?

The previous owner to the previous owner said there was top-end work however there is no paperwork or concrete proof so no way to be sure. Based on the way it runs I'm inclined to believe it but can't be certain.

As for the powder coating, I may go the rattle can route just for now, but these sliders are old and faded, are in need of a total reworking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom