80 or 60 series PS pump? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’ve got a 60 series and an 80 series pump. I’m doing a PS conversion on my 40 w a 60 box. No, I won’t use a Saginaw pump- stop it.

Between the 80 and 60 pump which should I sell and which should I use?

The 80 has a pulley and mounting hardware and the 60 does not but I can buy/fab it.

From what I gather I may have a hard time mating the 80 pump to 60 box. Is that right? If so it’s a no brainer. I’ll go w the 60 pump.

image.jpg

I've got a 60 pump and it works great. It took a lot of tweaking and replacing of parts to get it to be perfectly happy with my F.5. The pulley widths were different the engine wasn't made to mount it, so I had a lot of whine until I swapped the harmonic balancer. But I wheel it and drive on highway and never had any issues with performance. Pics and details in my build thread.

I've got a 60 pump and it works great. It took a lot of tweaking and replacing of parts to get it to be perfectly happy with my F.5. The pulley widths were different the engine wasn't made to mount it, so I had a lot of whine until I swapped the harmonic balancer. But I wheel it and drive on highway and never had any issues with performance. Pics and details in my build thread.
Radical. Thank you!

The FJ60 power steering pump is no longer available new and it was never rebuildable.
I’d go to the extra trouble to use the 80 pump.

what year is your cruiser and engine? Very pertinent information that you left out

The FJ60 power steering pump is no longer available new and it was never rebuildable.
I’d go to the extra trouble to use the 80 pump.
I’m seeing a rebuild kit on $OR, for the 60 pump. I’ve also seen a few forum posts were people reference rebuilding them. What makes you say it isn’t rebuildable?

4117EB4D-9A09-40EC-96CB-E7C2641FB3D9.png

There are rebuilt 60 pumps available- but they only last a year or so. There is a critical bushing that seals the shaft that Toyota never made available separately- and that’s where the failure and leaks start.
Maybe things have changed in the last 5-10 years, but I doubt it

There are rebuilt 60 pumps available- but they only last a year or so. There is a critical bushing that seals the shaft that Toyota never made available separately- and that’s where the failure and leaks start.
Maybe things have changed in the last 5-10 years, but I doubt it
Are you talking about this guy?

75BDD5EE-8750-4B40-BA17-4F6C1197A251.jpeg

A '78 2F can only use a passenger side pump (3F/3FE) if the original head and not using fancy aftermarket brackets for driver side. Otherwise you have to adapt a 60 series pump to the driver side.

A 80 series pump would have to be a 3FE pump as it is the same orientation as a Fj62...which is then the same design as a Non-USA 3F.

My recommendation if not using 37s or larger would be 3F/3FE pump mixed with minitruck/fj40 steering box and custom hardlines across frame under radiator like factory. Then move the alternator to the lower driver side with F/3F bracket. If you use a late 3FE bracket you can upgrade your alternator to a nice Denso reman from Toyota as well.

A 60 series pump can be rebuilt with OEM parts but @OSS is correct as the internal bushing needs to be machined by a competent lathe operator....very doable, just requires extra work than a reseal and bearings.

I'm running a 60 series box, hose and pump in my '76 40 that has a later 2F installed. Works very well now but both the box and pump were used and each had leaks when first installed in 2018. Box went to west Texas off-road and was rebuilt. I was lucky and found a new pump on toyotapartsdeal.com about 5 years ago and it has worked great since then. Also I did add a Power steering cooler for the pump that slightly increases capacity and cools the fluid which may help pump longevity over time. 60 series components work great and I do recommend using what you have as long as there are no leaks. 👍

I'm running a 60 series box, hose and pump in my '76 40 that has a later 2F installed. Works very well now but both the box and pump were used and each had leaks when first installed in 2018. Box went to west Texas off-road and was rebuilt. I was lucky and found a new pump on toyotapartsdeal.com about 5 years ago and it has worked great since then. Also I did add a Power steering cooler for the pump that slightly increases capacity and cools the fluid which may help pump longevity over time. 60 series components work great and I do recommend using what you have as long as there are no leaks. 👍
This is the consensus I’ve seen on other posts. A bit confused by all the sudden complications others are mentioning. How did you mount the 60 pump? If it wasn’t in the tapped holes of a 79+ 2F, can you send some pictures by chance? Or do you have a thread maybe?

My head is off at the moment due to gasket failure so pictures won't do it justice unfortunately as everything is disassembled. I have an 87 2F installed from an FJ60 that has oem mounting bolt holess for the pump bracket already tapped into the engine block. Made things much easier converting from manual to power steering. I have seen brackets that mimic this setup for older engines that attach using head bolts and adapting a 60 pump but don't have any experience with them. Perhaps someone else here can chime in on the mounting dilemma on older 2Fs?

This is the consensus I’ve seen on other posts. A bit confused by all the sudden complications others are mentioning. How did you mount the 60 pump? If it wasn’t in the tapped holes of a 79+ 2F, can you send some pictures by chance? Or do you have a th
The post below shows how my 60 pump is mounted. Pics were taken with the bib off. I have a '74 F.5 from an FJ55 (don't ask). So it's mounted on a fab'd up bracket on the drivers side. This is a way to do it, but I don't think it's the best or cleanest. It does work though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom