Idiot or genius? You tell me. 60 PS conversion w tacoma parts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thats an interesting part. In the stk application, does the splined end connect to the tacoma box? Keep in mind your steering shaft will be unsupported. It looks like there's going to be a lot of flex because how the ujoint is attached to the rubber part of the rag joint. It looks like the position of the steering ujoint is going to be low. Most folks cut the rag shaft end off a little closer to the firewall to get a good angle to the box. I think your going to have to weld to install the box. Your also going to have to deal with the shock tower. This will be interesting.
Ah okay. So angle into the box is important. I was wondering about that. Wasn’t jsut if another u joint, so long as it wasn’t angled up into the box wouldn’t be an issue.
Wouldn’t the additional rag joint flex be beneficial?the whole shaft won’t be supported accept by the future bearing.

Depending on the year that part goes directly into the PS gear box or another short shaft w yet another u joint and then the gear box.

I’m sourcing some F250 towers per a couple of threads on here. If you have a better/more Toyota idea, I’m all ears

No need to weld it if you can’t or don’t feel confident. You cut off your rag joint flange and machine or carefully grind two flats on your shaft to fit a Borgeson steering joint. They come in all flavors. You should be able to find one with a 3/4” DD on one end and the correct spline configuration on the other.
That is very good to know. I can figure out getting the DD into the shaft no problem. I think I’m hung up on not using Toyota parts which I’m now realizing is a bit silly considering I’m support the shaft w a John Deere lawn mower bearing

That is very good to know. I can figure out getting the DD into the shaft no problem. I think I’m hung up on not using Toyota parts which I’m now realizing is a bit silly considering I’m support the shaft w a John Deere lawn mower bearing
Ill double check when I get home but I beleive this is the 3/4" DD to fj40/60 steering box spline u joint:
FR2583 - 11/16"-36 X 3/4" DD Stainless Steel U-Joint - https://www.flamingriver.com/fr2583-11-16-inch-36x3-4-inch-dd-stainless-steel-u-joint

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom