Troubleshooting PS pressure issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m trying to trouble shoot a pressure failure in my n.d. 80 series pump mated to a 86’ 60 series PS box for eventual installation in my 78’ 40 w a 2F. I’ll be building a custom bracket so the pump can go on the drivers side (LHD).

I have a PS pressure testing kit spliced into the setup. I’m getting no needle movement when I spin the pump w an impact driver. Is this an issue w the tester gauge? Am I not spinning the pump fast enough? Or is there a pressure issue in the pump?

I can feel fluid moving through the line and there are no major leaks (occasionally there is a drip from the hose where it meets the pump). When I close the test valve there is still no needle movement but the pump stops pretty quickly and doesn’t seem to want to spin. I assume this is back pressure? Is the pump THAT feeble or is the tester just busted? I initially had the gauge in the wrong place but even after moving it there seems to be no difference. The photos show where the gauge currently is, per the instructions.

PS pump — Gauge — shut off

Any thoughts or suggestions other than that I should use a Saginaw setup would be utterly and sincerely appreciated.

Cheers

image.jpg

image.jpg

Have you got it reversed? "This end to pump" is on the steering box side.
That’s what I was thinking as well but then I looked at the directions and it said the opposite. There is also a flow arrow on the back that points in the direction of the pump flowing through gauge then the valve. Also makes intuitive sense that it would be gauge then valve bc otherwise there’d be no pressure if you closed the valve. Am I thinking about this wrong?

Try spinning the box a bit and what sthe rpm on the impact ? 1,000 rpm should do it.
I just bled the whole system to get the air out. It was mighty foamy. I’ll look up the rpm’s and give it another go. There is flow, just not enough pressure to make the needle move. When I close the valve and let back pressure build the needle does bounce up to about 200 now. Progress I suppose! Seems just like it can’t maintain the pressure. I hear a hiss from the cap when I do this. Could that be the issue?

Generally since you can get the gauge to read 200 PSIG, its safe to assume the gauge works. You could easily check it with 100 PSIG from your air compressor. Air in system is bad. You get a large enough air bubbled in your vein, your heart stops.

Look at your pulley sizes - 1000 RPM on the crank pulley, could be 1500 RPM on the pump. Direction of rotation is important.

FWIW I do not think those pumps are designed for a dead head situation, thats why there is a return to resivior, thats not just for bypass, the return is part of the system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom