80 driveshaft measurement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
gustavocherro.blogspot.com
Hi !!

I have a friend who wants to make his long rear driveshaft and needs to specify the measurements. Above all, the measurement of the estrus where the lock attaches. Does anyone have these measurements?

Thanks !!!

Hi !!!

My friend wants to make his rear driveshaft, the longest one. and to be able to do it, he needs its measurements, since he bought his 80 with a bearing that is not original. His vehicle has differential locks, and in Argentina, where it is located, replacements are only available for models without locks. He needs the measurement of the groove where the lock engages when it acts.

Thanks !!!

Hi !!!

My friend wants to make his rear driveshaft, the longest one. and to be able to do it, he needs its measurements, since he bought his 80 with a bearing that is not original. His vehicle has differential locks, and in Argentina, where it is located, replacements are only available for models without locks. He needs the measurement of the groove where the lock engages when it acts.

Thanks !!!
Do you mean axle shaft, not drive shaft?

Drive shaft is between transfer case and differential.

Axle shaft is between differential and wheel.

Do you mean axle shaft, not drive shaft?

Drive shaft is between transfer case and differential.

Axle shaft is between differential and wheel.
Ups..: Sorry... English is not my native language and I confused the terms. then we talk about Axle shaft…. Thanks again.

For us, in Argentina, Drive Shaft = Cardan, and Axle shaft = Palier

Thanks again

He is actually correct; the shaft between the transfer case and axle is the propeller shaft, although very few people use that term. The driveshaft is the shaft between the differential and wheel.

@Gusta, are you sure it's not cheaper to buy the driveshaft? I can't imagine that I could make one cheaper than Toyota sells it, even if I had the correct material (and I don't know how I'd find out what that should be, to match the OEM specifications) and a CNC machine.

You can buy aftermarket shafts, CruiserTEQ has them (these are the full floating design, they don't list the semi-floating design):
1701956505236.png

1701956535530.png

These are sold in sets of two (both long and short) and are designed to fit all differential types. They will have the particular information you are looking for, if you really want to make one for yourself.

He is actually correct; the shaft between the transfer case and axle is the propeller shaft, although very few people use that term. The driveshaft is the shaft between the differential and wheel.

@Gusta, are you sure it's not cheaper to buy the driveshaft? I can't imagine that I could make one cheaper than Toyota sells it, even if I had the correct material (and I don't know how I'd find out what that should be, to match the OEM specifications) and a CNC machine.

You can buy aftermarket shafts, CruiserTEQ has them (these are the full floating design, they don't list the semi-floating design):
View attachment 3500703
View attachment 3500705
These are sold in sets of two (both long and short) and are designed to fit all differential types. They will have the particular information you are looking for, if you really want to make one for yourself.
At least he didn't say it was under the bonnet.......

@Gusta :That's why I asked, is for clarification. I realized English was not native. Welcome.

For those of us in the USA, we have a different way of describing things too.

From your description, you are wanting to cut down an axle shaft from a non-locking assembly to the same length as a locking assembly. Is this correct? Is it because the axle shafts (driveshaft to you) are more available in the non-locked differential version?

Maybe someone here can provide the length differences as well as spline count for the difference between the axle shafts?
(Please use washing machine units or metric)

The axle length is the same for locking and non locking axes.
The splines are longer on locking axles shafts.
In other words you can use a locking axle in a non locked differential but you cannot use a non locked axle shaft in a locked differential.

Thank you all for the answers !!!yes… I know that I could use one with a Diff lock on one without a lock, but the issue is the other way around, in Argentina they are only available for 80 without Diff locks. The idea is to make one, since it costs around US$200, and it is done in a few days. Bring one from the USA, it could take months and the value would have to be multiplied by 5. What we need is the length in centimeters of the Zone of spliners.

Thanks again !!!

What year/model 80 series?

So the OP needs the length of the splines (and complete shaft dimensions?) for both rear axle shafts for an 80 series with a factory locked rear differential?

Last edited:
Thank you all for the answers !!!yes… I know that I could use one with a Diff lock on one without a lock, but the issue is the other way around, in Argentina they are only available for 80 without Diff locks. The idea is to make one, since it costs around US$200, and it is done in a few days. Bring one from the USA, it could take months and the value would have to be multiplied by 5. What we need is the length in centimeters of the Zone of spliners.

Thanks again !!!
Contact Cruiser Outfitters. They have them and can measure one for you.

Here you go.
short side
1701984568287.png

The Long side should be the same locked or unlocked this is it
1701984665156.png

Both out of my OEM locker, rear axle

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom