Builds 75 Series Truck - VZ shade tree special (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

can anyone tell me why the automatic ECU will not work with a manual transmission? I have read a bunch of threads, not finding any "Dunce on ECU" narrative. keep in mind that I am in a non-emission state, and no inspections.

found a great thread. seems to be all about the CEL.

Last edited:
1HZ :) if you are thinking re-power. Great engine, highly proven, tons of parts, good mileage and that cool rattle. Turbo later on if you want more.

1hz is way cool and way out of budget.

I know a guy with a 1HZ/H55/Splitcase combo that'll work nicely. Just needs a rebuild. :D

Don’t discount the H150F/HF1A that are currently in it as viable, as it’s a much better shifting transmission than even a new H55F and not a thing wrong HF1A short of gear options (or lack thereof).

No reason to go backwards, cut crossmember mounts or anything, just get an HD bell, HD flywheel, and HD/FZ clutch (to replace yours that’s trashed) and call it done.

Don’t drink the H55F koolaid is my point. You’ve already the better combination in the truck, so only logical for it to remain, and adapt to.

Not a plug, I swear, but I (somewhere) have new motor mounts, new rear isolator, new HD/HZ bell, new HD/HZ flywheel and a known good HD/FZ clutch (from Chris Lynch)
That are sitting in storage with no purpose.

Have so many harnesses I don’t know what they’re even from (with exception of the FJZ75 complete). Multiple H15Xs, multiple HF1As......hell, if you wanna trash the Dana’s have RS housings and HF knuckles for the ultimate axles :rolleyes:

Edited: AND a 1HZ that’s described elsewhere on Mud.

Personally, considering the 1FZ is a damn s***box as it sits, I’d chuck that sucker and go the 1HZ path.

Wholeheartedly agree, from a pragmatic perspective, BUT, would it not be a screamer with a good running 1FZ-FE and H150F?

I’d like the opportunity to pit an MT FZ against the Pig...... probably the only F-ish engine that’s give the Pig a run for its money.

Don’t discount the H150F/HF1A that are currently in it as viable, as it’s a much better shifting transmission than even a new H55F and not a thing wrong HF1A short of gear options (or lack thereof).

No reason to go backwards, cut crossmember mounts or anything, just get an HD bell, HD flywheel, and HD/FZ clutch (to replace yours that’s trashed) and call it done.

Don’t drink the H55F koolaid is my point. You’ve already the better combination in the truck, so only logical for it to remain, and adapt to.

Not a plug, I swear, but I (somewhere) have new motor mounts, new rear isolator, new HD/HZ bell, new HD/HZ flywheel and a known good HD/FZ clutch (from Chris Lynch)
That are sitting in storage with no purpose.

Have so many harnesses I don’t know what they’re even from (with exception of the FJZ75 complete). Multiple H15Xs, multiple HF1As......hell, if you wanna trash the Dana’s have RS housings and HF knuckles for the ultimate axles :rolleyes:

Edited: AND a 1HZ that’s described elsewhere on Mud.

Haha, ok guy. "Not a plug" followed by half a post about parts you have for sale. Classy.
When did I discount anything?
Merely mention I have a combo for sale.
A clapped out, carb'd, 1FZ and questionable H150 is a better than an 1HZ/H55? What Kool-aid flavor is that?

Well we made it to page 8 before this gentleman's thread got derailed. Not bad I guess. :)

Haha, ok guy. "Not a plug" followed by half a post about parts you have for sale.

Never once said they were for sale......

I have a combo for sale.

You did. Had I realized this was your classified ad, I’d not have replied.

A clapped out, carb'd, 1FZ and questionable H150 is a better than an 1HZ/H55? What Kool-aid flavor is that?

H15XF is better than H55F, especially when already equipped with H15XF, was my point and think I made myself pretty clear 1HZ was best alternative, initially.

Gotta love Mud.

Never once said they were for sale......

You did. Had I realized this was your classified ad, I’d not have replied.

H15XF is better than H55F, especially when already equipped with H15XF, was my point and think I made myself pretty clear 1HZ was best alternative, initially.

Gotta love Mud.

:rolleyes: My goodness, man.

@2fpower apologies for the clutter.

Guys and girls, this is not my first rodeo.

I appreciate and I specifically asked for thoughts and help on this build. That includes helping point me in a direction to find a good engine/tranny for sale.

If you have an option for sale, don't be shy; however, know that I don't have $5k in the budget to put an awesome engine in it.

Unless someone can tell me why a ECM out of a standard US 80 won't work, that is the direction I am headed.

Not to abruptly change the subject, but I got a kick out of this motor mounts. Which one is not like the other??????
D1936F07-6022-4F57-A063-EE845DE484C9.jpeg
2FBFBB9B-8444-4C77-9106-A6A70B3B66B2.jpeg

The gift that keeps on giving today was the Dana 60 inners....
10B46300-64BF-4659-82A1-6C4A17015841.jpeg
5DAD99F5-3447-4B51-9DB6-AC2D5B4A2D9F.jpeg
617C1812-58FA-45E1-B1C3-4ADEF8A3EBD6.jpeg

That would be my first mod: get rid of the s***ty Dana and put a proper rear axle in.

:)

I might have agreed with you until I saw how big this axle is...
CAE3C5AE-9F01-4CA8-9580-6565464119DD.jpeg
E48E417C-BFC7-4F50-AC0F-6AC1C94849DC.jpeg

There is an older 2500 Chevy truck at the shop that has Dana 60 axles which leads me to believe that parts for that axle has been around for a while therefore rebuilding one may not be that challenging.

Hello,

Just my opinion.

It is worth noting that the 1FZ/H15X/Dana 60 combination has survived the jungle in South America, not a little feat.

The Dana 60 is beefy, and worth repairing. The manufacturer's description is "heavy truck axle," a way of saying heavy duty, after all. I would repair it and keep it, but that is just me.

1FZ-FE manual transmission ECUs vary; they show up every once in a while on eBay Australia. Part number should be 89666-60111. Then there is the 4WD ECU, which provides a basic form of throttle control. Pre-1999 models had it in the space above the clutch pedal; post-1999 models had it above the ash tray. There is plenty of space for the engine ECU above the glove box.

If I had a 1FZ-FE engine available, I would swap it in, and I would source the right harness and ECUs for a manual transmission.

As for the transmission, the H15X family is beefy. It is worth repairing and keeping.

Juan

Unless someone can tell me why a ECM out of a standard US 80 won't work, that is the direction I am headed.

It’s been a while since discussed, in detail (early pages of VMJ73 thread) but those that seemed to know (on the Internet) opined easier to do standalone that to adapt to MT.

Last I’ll offer:

Should you opt to swap to 1FZ-FE and feel it beneficial, I’ll loan the correct harness to do so.

Dug out some fun pics of what the harness looked like in our build. There was a lot involved...not a big surprise. One of the biggest issues was the size of the harness....it was tough to fit behind the tiny dash of the 70 series. Just not a lot of room to stuff in a big bundle of wires. Granted we were running everything on the truck with this harness but we eliminated a lot of stuff from the 80. I didn't have an OEM 70 harness so that made it tough.....we had to get some misc pieces of harnesses as I recall for AC and things like that. Quite a bit of work.

ECU for sure goes above the glove box. Only place it fits.

P7191673.jpg
P7291827.jpg
P8011905.jpg
P8232217.jpg

Dug out some fun pics of what the harness looked like in our build. There was a lot involved...not a big surprise. One of the biggest issues was the size of the harness....it was tough to fit behind the tiny dash of the 70 series. Just not a lot of room to stuff in a big bundle of wires. Granted we were running everything on the truck with this harness but we eliminated a lot of stuff from the 80. I didn't have an OEM 70 harness so that made it tough.....we had to get some misc pieces of harnesses as I recall for AC and things like that. Quite a bit of work.

ECU for sure goes above the glove box. Only place it fits.

View attachment 2011437View attachment 2011438View attachment 2011440View attachment 2011441

That is just crazy amount of wires...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom