Builds 74 FJ40 Resto-mod build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

nor_cal_cyclist

GOLD Star
Threads
WARNING: This is not for FJ40 purists!!! :bounce::bounce2::eek:

This isn’t my first rodeo…had a similar FJ40 about 20 yrs ago, that was a hodge-podge build. Seemed like all my modifications were on a shoe-string budget and had to be redone MANY times, due to inexperience or lack of funds. This time, I’m planning to build it right the first time, and overbuild it so I can enjoy my trips/events instead of wrenching the whole time.

I found this truck last year and have been thinking about the final build and planning all the minute details. Body is pretty solid other than the extra holes the PO drilled all over the place, from what I can tell. Currently stock other than the wheels/tires, recovered seats, petronix ignition, and a set of Rancho springs.

IMG_8120.JPG

I am fortunate to live part time in Redding – home of @TRAIL TAILOR. In talking to Jason (@TRAIL TAILOR owner/welder extraordinaire), he was wanting to expand his work and take on full custom builds. I am happy to say, my 74 FJ40 will be the first project thru Jason’s new business: Trail Tailor Customs.

Currently planning the following:
LS3 (non-EROD) V8
NV4500
Atlas t-case
Dynatrac ProRock62 Diamond axles by Front Range Off-Road – upgraded and ARB’s F/R
Power Steering – FJ80 or Saginaw
Body off the frame – both cleaned up and lined/repainted
MetalTech Full Cage and Tube fenders
Custom armor and bumpers by Trail Tailor Customs
Suspension – still under discussion (SOA or SOA/Linked or Linked)
Probably run 37” MT/R’s
Pretty much replacing/updating/restoring everything
I’m sure I’m forgetting stuff, but we’ll get to it as the truck is worked on

I dropped the truck off last Thursday, and have already been acquiring parts. I think the Atlas and possibly axles will be the longest lead time, so trying to get those items ordered ASAP. Engine and NV4500 shipping next week. Also working on dialing in the suspension.

Stay tuned for updates from Jason or I, as this truck is resto-modified :)

Last edited:
Thought about it, but not sure I really want/need the inside space. Realistically I wont run a rear seat - kids are grown and out of the house. Thinking about having a nice locking storage/cargo box built for the back.

A little something to let the LS3 breath easier - Hooker Blackheart Ceramic Coated Headers

UIYDAZwYQC2hk7DQf9xrpw.jpg

She looks MUCH better behind the diamond plate than I thought it would!

Yea - found her out in Mariposa - WAY off the beaten path. Was a farm/ranch truck for previous 20+ yrs.

No - at least it wasn't to begin with. Jason has another 40 in the shop that was going to be the base of developing the 80 suspension, but he likes the idea enough to be nudging me in that direction. I've seen a 62 converted and looks clean, flexes/twists/articulates, and rode nice when he took me for a short spin. I just question if it will work as well on a narrower frame and shorter WB.

I have a few more days of mind numbing videos and articles to read before I finalize my suspension - still leaning towards a SOA front and linked rear, but time will tell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom