'72 FJ40 Seats Reborn... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Absolutely no point to this post other than the fact it makes me tingle when I see how nicely (IMO) my seats turned out. Stripped them down, sandblasted, powdercoated, and reupholstered (front using SOR kit, rear jumps were custom made covers / cushions). Not earth shattering stuff, I know, but progress none-the-less! :flipoff2:

Before:
DSC01336.jpg

DSC01335.jpg

DSC01340.jpg
DSC01336.jpg
DSC01335.jpg
DSC01340.jpg

The seat backs are the nicest I have ever seen!!

great looking carpet, how durable?

Great job!

Shane

Carpet is a home depot special, I ride dirt bikes and tinker with things like '72 FJ40's that tend to leak stuff frequently, so i replace it every year or so. Very durable and it's nice to be able to walk into the garage with bare feet, makes it cozy i suppose. I can cover my 20x20 garage for pretty cheap, I want to say less than a $100 but it's been a while since I replaced it. So worst case when you dump your entire oil pan, you don't have to break the bank to replace it. I also have the epoxy coating stuff they sell at HD underneath, great product as well.

Great job! I have seat envy. I just picked up some used, stock front seats that need to be restored. Couple questions:

How much to powdercoat?
What's that color called?

I would really love to see a picture of them mounted up when you get to it. Thanks!

Thanks guys....you're making me blush :bounce::bounce2:

Cost to sandblast and powder coat all seat parts / frames, license plate holder, door parts, etc. was $208. I admit I sometimes lose track of the value of a dollar (especially when it's toy related and i want it) but I thought it was one hell of a deal.

I think the color they used is called silver metallic. As an aside, the parts store sells "Dupli-Color Auto Spray" in "silver metallic" and it matches perfectly as best i can tell for parts you can't powder coat or touch up stuff.

I'm a ways from installing seats (see pics taken about an hour ago), but I will keep you updated when I do get them in.

13.jpg

17.jpg

16.jpg
13.jpg
17.jpg
16.jpg

Nice

Nice Job!

Now wrap them in plastic and get them well out of the work area away from sharp things, sparks, and overspray eh?

Still got my softop in a bag I'd die if I messed it up!:eek::eek:

Those must be Post 9-72 seats correct?
My 3-72 has a center that doesn't fold, instead the passenger seat folds similarly like the drivers.

Actually without going into the EPC, you're most likely correct.
Them 72's were mixed up and changed many a times in that one year.
Great seats!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom