'72 Door refresh (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

steffan

SILVER Star
Threads
Starting to put my doors back together after painting etc. I couldn't find much on the 2 piece doors so I figured I'd share.
the felts etc. Everything still available from Toyota except the vent window (?) - not sure where I picked that up but it was very nice quality

tempImageFFbumW.png

tempImageia8DYy.png

the mounting holes for the glass trim. the inner strip comes with the attachment clips attached, the outer wiper does not. I thought I had some of the clips but couldn't find them so I need to address that - 6 per door are needed. Apparently, they are still available from Toyota but crazy expensive.

tempImage3UOSM9.png

tempImageAmx5jP.png

tempImagecdoMfe.png

tempImage8ilIKa.png

here is the vent window hardware as it was on mine - full disclosure, I'm not sure that this is factory correct but it seems to make sense. There is a nylon washer followed by a thick washer - both have a larger bore in order to go over the shaft. Then the spring followed by 2 smaller washers, with a smaller bore. Last a nut and jam nut. The important part is make sure the cam/ stopper is oriented correctly - keeps the vent window from opening too far

tempImageLQLMwX.png

tempImageYc8rR5.png

tempImageoOrPjq.png

tempImageKkXtNO.png

another thing to note - the way the vent window cam sits in the frame, the window has to be opened to slide into the door.
this was just a trial fit as the outside glass wiper needs to be installed before the glass etc
I'll post updates as I go along with the window cranks, door latches etc

tempImage4PFjCH.png

tempImageI5Clqk.png

Screenshot 2024-04-12 at 9.07.09 AM.png

Outstanding - thanks for posting that! I like the nylon washer under the cam - need to go to the hardware store for some other things as well.
Do you have any guidance on how tight the spring tension should be? I just put enough in to seat the window.

Outstanding - thanks for posting that! I like the nylon washer under the cam - need to go to the hardware store for some other things as well.
Do you have any guidance on how tight the spring tension should be? I just put enough in to seat the window.
Do you have any guidance on how tight the spring tension should be?
Same question here. I have noticed that at highway speed the wind tends to push the vent window toward the closed position. Not sure if adjusting the tension on the spring will make a difference in this regard.

I just did all this stuff with my doors . I think you will find you will need to get the outer wipers on first . Also put the glass in the door take the 2 screws out that hold the stopper out so the glass can drop down lower . This will give you the room to get the inner felts on . .

The outers will make it difficult to impossible to get the glass in after

IMG_6727.jpeg

Same question here. I have noticed that at highway speed the wind tends to push the vent window toward the closed position. Not sure if adjusting the tension on the spring will make a difference in this regard.
Yes, tighten the spring until the wind doesn't effect the wing window. Leave the whole plug out until they're both set.

Remember that 2 of window channel retaining screws thread into path of the glass, and require short screws. If you use the long screws by mistake, you will shatter the glass if it's in the way.

Put a piece of masking tape over the holes for the short screws so you don't forget.

The vent window gasket was straighforward as well. There is a ribbed section that presses into the channel. A little soapy water to slide it in and it easily popped in and conformed to the frame

View attachment 3605134

View attachment 3605137

View attachment 3605138

View attachment 3605139
It all looks fantastic! Question- where did you get your vent window rubber seal? I got mine from Specter Off Road (aftermarket) and it fit perfectly. The problem is that the drivers side whistles badly unless I open it. The passenger side is stuck so tight if I open the glass I have to fiddle with it to close back up. Based on your response I might replace mine again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom