5vzfe swap running a bit warm (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I posted it all up on yotatech back when I did my swap. All the pics are gone unfortunately.

I used sheet aluminum I happened to have and made a box that fit the radiator, stuck out far enough to cover half the fan depth and centered the hole on the fan. (Offset on the rad.)

I also made a simple set of brackets to change the height of the radiator. They were just pieces of flat bar with holes drilled to bolt to the stock radiator mounting holes. And new holes with studs/bolts welded on to shift the radiator. In this case I lowered the radiator. I lowered the engine 1 1/2" so I didn't have to cut the hood or use a body lift.

I'll see if I can find pics in my computer somewhere. I can probably take pics of the shroud since I pulled it off my 88.

I have also seen some posts about building custom shrouds with fiberglass for those without a welder. I'll see what I can find.

Last edited:
3.4 Swap Fan Shroud and Drop Brackets 001 (2).jpg

Interesting you are still on the stock 22RE rad with the 3.4

I was kind of fretting with my 2.7 swap that I may want to nut up and buy a 3.0 rad before putting the time into making a shroud, but maybe I will just stick with mine to save the cash? I suffer badly from "while I am in there" syndrome though and feel like before I make the shroud "I might as well" just buy a 3.0 CSF rad. Hmmmm. Decisions to be made...

It's a 22RE radiator but it is a 3 row copper/brass HD unit that my buddy the PO had put in. The 3.0 radiator dimensions look to be 3.5" taller. IDK how that fits but it must.

The only time I had had temps climb was because of my first winch bumper. It blocked air flow when I was on the freeway and only over 65 MPH.

I have seen many people say the same.

Just that where I live it gets to temps in the 100's and sitting in traffic is where a shroud "might" be a benefit. Some people claim even then they don't overheat.

After hacking away at the fan shroud, it's just basically an upper guard at this point. On top of that the plastic is so brittle that if it cracks it'll sacrifice itself into the fan.

I'm going to run without it for a bit. I still have it, but I'm not convinced it's going to do anything at this point.

not sure if they're around anymore but I was able to get a 3.0 2wd 3 row aluminum radiator (DPI-1190) which is shorter than the 4wd version. I used the 3rz fan/clutch and modified a 2wd 2rz shroud to fit over it. It was the right height just a little wider. I drive long distances through desert areas reaching up to 115 deg in some areas like when I go to Colorado from San Diego in the summer. The 22RE radiator/ fan / shroud/ and clutch could not keep up, especially with the AC on. I have no issues now. I imagine it would have been the same issue with a 3.4

0920151810.jpg
0920151924.jpg
0919151700a.jpg

0920151924b.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom