4x4 Labs Owners Chime In...Single Vs. Dual Swingout? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ewillis

SILVER Star
Threads
The time has come...going all in on a rear bumper and Labs is my choice. Looking at a rear bumper with tire carrier and 3 gas can configuration. The difference is about $50 between the single vs. double swingout. No biggie, and am thinking a single would be the way to go, but maybe I'm wrong?

Anyone have the above configuration and like to chime in before I drop the 2 G$?....appreciate the insight :beer:

I don't have the labs bumper but I'd stick with the single. I thought about double when I built mine and glad I didn't. Unless you really plan to use it (like all the time) the second swing out it just makes getting in an out of the rear of your rig that much more of a pain.

I have the double swing out and I like it.

IMHO, the single arm needs wider angle and space when you open up, kind of difficult when you're in camp and don't have a lot of room.

My uncle has a swingle swing out and when he's pulling a trailer, it's impossible to open up.

I also think the load distribution on a single might be too much when opened up, especially if you have 3 loaded cans. I think...

Unless you really plan to use it (like all the time) the second swing out it just makes getting in an out of the rear of your rig that much more of a pain.

I don't have long arms but I can open both of the swing out at the same time.
I don't see it as a burden for me, you're going to have to open the rear regardless.

I had the dual swing on the back of my LX450.

It was a build it youself kit a prior owner made, and was hopefully his 1st project, I backwelded plenty.

It works, but for myself I hate those red vinyl capped handles / cam-over latches for the swingouts. Not a production piece in years but the Hanna Quality bumper has bitchin' solid swingout handles. I backed my bumper into a steel 24" pipe, cracked the handle off & bought a replacement. Not cheap, $50 ea. for them, but way nicer.

I'd buy a kit & build a 4x4 labs bumper but swap the swingout latches for nicer ones, maybe even ask if they'll keep them for credit.

You'd be surprised how long each arm of a dual is in tight spots like a parking lot.. let alone double that length for a single. Good example would be with someone pulled in behind you. If they parked anywhere within the width of your truck to your rear bumper.. it ain't opening all the way, which means your tail gate isn't going down.

Also, double the amount of crap loaded on one arm vs two. The actual weight and bending isn't the problem.. but IMO the single flaw with 4x4labs rear design is the 2x2 cross section arms twisting when you hit bumps in the rig. With rhythmically undulating concrete joints it can get some kind of harmonic frequency going and through the rear view it looks like that tire is going back and forth three inches. I40 in east Albuquerque at about 70mph comes to mind.

I still need to add some 2x2 to the top of the existing stuff to see if it helps. I'm sure if I had Jerry cans on the same arm it'd be a lot worse.

Also on the topic of latches.. I think the red ones are fine, other than not being UV stabilized so the top of the red part is light pink inside of a year. I'm sure it's just a matter of time til they break down completely without additional protection.

@bloc . I added a gusset from spindle to tire holder arm. And a solid steal block in center under 2x2 that sits on bumper shell. Stiffened it right up.

@bloc . I added a gusset from spindle to tire holder arm. And a solid steal block in center under 2x2 that sits on bumper shell. Stiffened it right up.

Nice.. can I request a pic or two?

I had some of the same questions. I use my hatch a lot and didnt want to open swing outs to get in. All that being said i went dual and i am OK with them. The pain in ass part is undoing the basic latch and swinging the rear open. One vs two arms does not really matter much in making it harder. I would not want it any longer than it is if i was in the woods or near other parked cars.

@bloc
20170219_101615.jpg
20170219_101645.jpg

@bloc . It will also rock back and forth more if you have your latch horizontal. I switched mine to vertical and added some blocking there too.
20170219_101607.jpg

Mine is a double swing out and I agree with others who say a single would be too long in tight situations because I can think of a couple times I was in a predicament off road and needed to access my cargo area for tools or recovery gear. Had my swing out been a single arm, I'm may have had a very difficult time getting my tail gate open in order to access the wagon gear tail gate storage lid.

Will be buying a diy kit or a pre-built unit?

Mine is a double swing out and I agree with others who say a single would be too long in tight situations because I can think of a couple times I was in a predicament off road and needed to access my cargo area for tools or recovery gear. Had my swing out been a single arm, I'm may have had a very difficult time getting my tail gate open in order to access the wagon gear tail gate storage lid.

Will be buying a diy kit or a pre-built unit?
I don't weld...gonna be a fully built/powdercoated unit. I wonder if there are any "extras" I should request with regard to stiffening. I like @scrowley recommendations.

I like @scrowley version of fixing the flex issue for the swingout, I ran mine as was, but wasn't heartbroken the day that 80 left & I still had my Hanna bumper.

I'll pic my latches when I get a second today, they are as solid a latch as they come, and the cam is in the lever, really a lifetime latch (if you don't bean $hit like me :confused:).

To the original question, I get it better now - 2 swingouts as it's less cumbersome when in a urban situation or a tight trail & you need access would be my preference.

And to split hairs even further, like most I think - having the tire on the LS means you get minimal but some rearward visibility better than mounting with a RS bias.
But that's a subjective choice by person & your preferred loadout.

In town I flat leave the spare home, if AAA need bring me a tire or whatever it beats peeking around a spare. More "just me" there.

I don't weld...gonna be a fully built/powdercoated unit. I wonder if there are any "extras" I should request with regard to stiffening. I like @scrowley recommendations.
There won't be as much leverage on each swing out if you go with doubles so the arm itself needs no gusset. I welded mine together with my Lincoln 140 and have beaten the tar out of it on Rubicon's granite with no major complaints. The tire carrier could use more support if you plan on backing into trees and other large immovable objects, I have bent two. The only way to improve the ridgidity of the accessories is to ad structure by welding directly to the swing out, which I will be doing. Also, the side wings will flex into the body if you lean hard enough on something that won't give. @scrowley came up with a solution for side protection that seems to be working for him.
If nothing else, the 4x4Labs bumper is the sexiest rear bumper I have seen yet.

@baldilocks ...my add on to the 4x4 labs worKS amazing. Lots of extra gussets. My rear quarters would be smashed every time out without it.
20170205_112343.jpg
20170205_112416.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom