4x4 Labs rear Bumper Install Help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I have everything removed and need to make the final cut on the frame. The pics in the instructions aren’t really matching up to my measurements. Per the instructions, the cut is to be made on the rear frame 2 7/8” from the rear body mount. If I measure this it cuts the elongated hole by approx 1/4 where the pictures in the instructions show the elongated hole in its entirety. Anyone have this issue? Should I not worry about the elongated hole and just cut at 2 7/8? I know what is important is for the captive nut holes to line up with the bumper holes but want to make sure before I cut.

First pic is 2 7/8” + some to somewhat match the pics in instructions
Second is the elongated hole in question
Third is approximately where I would be cutting off for 2 7/8”
Forth and Fifth are pics from the instructions.

IMG_6627.jpeg

IMG_6628.jpeg

IMG_6629.jpeg

IMG_6630.jpeg

IMG_6631.jpeg

Mine was closer the the last two photos. If its not enough you could always cut off more, but more difficult to add back. :p

Closer to the last two photos being the instruction photos (red 80)?

the red 80, yes. looked as close as this one IIRC.
1686797568851.png

Hmmm, Ok. Guess I will look at my measurements again…

Still doesn’t look right to me. At 2 7/8 it will cut off more than you guys are showing.

IMG_6632.jpeg

Never done one, but maybe measure from the edge of the weld?

Never done one, but maybe measure from the edge of the weld?
Yep, did that and does get it closer. Maybe that is the key. I just assumed “measure 2 7/8 back from the body mount” meant at the body mount plate not edge of the weld.

Measuring tape ends usually have play in them (on purpose). That could throw you off by 1/16" iirc. Maybe try a ruler?
You are correct on that play idea, but that is if you were using the end of the tape measure as a hook to hold it in place not vice versa.

Measuring tape ends usually have play in them (on purpose). That could throw you off by 1/16" iirc. Maybe try a ruler?

(In case you think I am nuts: Hidden Features of Measuring Tape - https://www.ustape.com/hidden-features-of-measuring-tape/#:~:text=The%20metal%20tip%20at%20the,known%20as%20%E2%80%9Ctrue%20zero%E2%80%9D.)

You are correct on that play idea, but that is if you were using the end of the tape measure as a hook to hold it in place not vice versa.
Agree with both. I guess I will cut with measurement from the weld vice body mount plate as it seems to be more accurate to the pics. @b16 and @chex808 can you chime in where you measured from, plate or weld?

Maybe contact 4x4Labs?

Just don't cut out the captive nut. I didn't measure when I did mine.

Maybe contact 4x4Labs?
Yea, called Luke but haven't heard back yet. Probably overthinking it. Just thought I would get some input here.

Yea, called Luke but haven't heard back yet. Probably overthinking it. Just thought I would get some input here.
Make the cut then test fit the shell. If there is interference, cut some more off. My cuts were nasty since I started with an angle grinder. BTW, don't start with an angle grinder. I had to got to Home Depot and buy a sawzall just to complete the job. The sawzall was much quicker and cleaner.

I don't remember exactly where I measured from, it was a few years ago.

Make the cut then test fit the shell. If there is interference, cut some more off. My cuts were nasty since I started with an angle grinder. BTW, don't start with an angle grinder. I had to got to Home Depot and buy a sawzall just to complete the job. The sawzall was much quicker and cleaner.
😂

Haha, same. I started with angle grinder and ended with sawzall, much easier. Appreciate everyones input. I measured from the welds and seemed to be just about perfect. Not quite finished, but almost there.

IMG_6641.jpeg

IMG_6643.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom