4.0:1 Split Case Gears (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All,
Returning after a long time inactive.
I have a FJ62 in Australia. I'm in the market for some 4.0:1 gears to suit the 38mm split case.
I see there are two options, the AA gears and Cruiser Outfitters Sumo gears, both for similar money.
Which is the better of the two, and why?

Georg hasnt bothered to get me a freight quote, so he's now out of the question..

It would be to your benefit to reconsider this thought.

It would be to your benefit to reconsider this thought.
Not sure why.. Im on the other side of the world. If hes not interested in quoting freight, he cant be too interested in the sale. I see no other advantage. In the time I've waited for a price, I could have already had the parts delivered from another seller.
This, however, is not the question. Back to the original subject?

Two likes in 10 years mate? You did ask what's the best way to go? .....
So its about likes now? If you read the original post you'll see that I have been inactive for a long time, and pretty sure the original forum software that was in use before I went inactive didn't do likes. If I wanted likes, I'd go elsewhere..

I didn't ask where to shop, I asked which gears are better and why. I have the two options now, I just want opinion on which gear set is the better quality.

LandCruiser 60 & 70 series 55% low range gears

Cruiser Outfitters

Here are the two I know about. I got a deal on 3.05:1 Marks gears on my 12HT / 5spd 60 wagon. I find them
very irritable with the gear whine. I thought Marks also had a 4.0:1 low set, but not on the website any more.
I put up CruiserOutfitters cause they sell the AA 4.0:1 low range kit. To get to Georg, he and I had a discussion
about this gear whine. The AA gears are apparently much quieter to the ears. I wish I had them now.
Kurt at CruiserOutfitters is there everyday. Send him an email, and I am confident he will help you out.

LandCruiser 60 & 70 series 55% low range gears

Cruiser Outfitters

Here are the two I know about. I got a deal on 3.05:1 Marks gears on my 12HT / 5spd 60 wagon. I find them
very irritable with the gear whine. I thought Marks also had a 4.0:1 low set, but not on the website any more.
I put up CruiserOutfitters cause they sell the AA 4.0:1 low range kit. To get to Georg, he and I had a discussion
about this gear whine. The AA gears are apparently much quieter to the ears. I wish I had them now.
Kurt at CruiserOutfitters is there everyday. Send him an email, and I am confident he will help you out.
I can get AA or Sumo gears out of the US cheaper than I can Marks locally here in Aus.
I figure if I'm going to be spending money and time on it, I want the best reduction available. So you say AA gears are quieter than Marks? Still no opinion on Sumo?

1980-1990 60/62 Series Land Cruiser 4:1 Transfer Case Gear Set (TOY-LC-38-4.1)

Heard some negative feedback on the set above due to the needed clearancing weakening the case and resulting in damage.

Please show one instance in which there was damage as a result of the case being machined. Regardless, both sets of gears state that there is case machining required.

Two likes in 10 years mate? You did ask what's the best way to go? .....

This is pretty childish.

Hi All,
Returning after a long time inactive.
I have a FJ62 in Australia. I'm in the market for some 4.0:1 gears to suit the 38mm split case.
I see there are two options, the AA gears and Cruiser Outfitters Sumo gears, both for similar money.
Which is the better of the two, and why?

If they're not both made in the same factory (I would not be surprised in the slightest if they are) then you can safely assume that you will get a quality product from either vendor. Both have a long history of good products.

I can get AA or Sumo gears out of the US cheaper than I can Marks locally here in Aus.
I figure if I'm going to be spending money and time on it, I want the best reduction available. So you say AA gears are quieter than Marks? Still no opinion on Sumo?
That is what I understand. Contact @orangefj45 ( pretty sure this is Georg @ valley hybrids ) if you want to discuss the noise.
It seems like Aus is like Canada, everything costs more, even if its made at home. The only cool part is aside from shipping I
can get stuff to Canada from Aus for essentially on par pricing. But shipping is a killer.

I can add, I've clearanced my case for the lower gears. Just very carefully use a die grinder and take what you need. I only had
to remove a couple of rib reinforcements down a bit. I'm in the middle of bearing rebuild right now actually. I'll take a pic
and post up how much I had to grind off. Its no big deal, no way it makes the case weaker, unless you smash the case on
a rock. Or unless you unfortunately just grind too much through the wall.

I'll be happy to chime in ......

The gears sold by AA, Cruiseroutfitters and other vendors like myself are all marketed as "Sumo Gears". We all get them from the same vendor and they're made by a very reputable gear manufacturer. The same company that makes the gears for the Orion amongst many other products. And they've been doing so for many decades ...... great quality and reliability.

I ran the prototype 4:1 split case gears in my Vortec80 on 35s. Yes it had a split case in it. Daily drove that cruiser and had fun with it on mild/medium trails as well as the Pismo dunes.
After 3 months of driving I removed the Tcase and took it to AA. We tore the case back down and everything inside looked brand new with 4K miles on it. That was a few ago and the Tcase is still in a DD today.
The lower gear set does make a little more noise than the stock gears but it's not bad at all.
We have developed a job for a CNC mill that we utilize to machine the cases rather than using a die-grinder.
At this point I've sold/installed roughly 100 sets of these and there have been virtually no issues.
If you have any other questions, feel free to contact me. We always have at least one set of these gears in stock along with the rebuild kits and twin stick kits.
Georg @ Valley Hybrids & Cruiser Brothers

Thanks for the input Georg. I'll be calling you for a pair next year. It's on my short list of projects.

Georg,
Can you confirm I lose my DIY McNamara gear with this swap?

Correct. The input gear is a different tooth count so you won't be able to run whatever input gear you currently have.

Georg @ Valley Hybrids & Cruiser Brothers

I can add, I've clearanced my case for the lower gears. Just very carefully use a die grinder and take what you need. I only had
to remove a couple of rib reinforcements down a bit. I'm in the middle of bearing rebuild right now actually. I'll take a pic
and post up how much I had to grind off. Its no big deal, no way it makes the case weaker, unless you smash the case on
a rock. Or unless you unfortunately just grind too much through the wall.
I'd be interested in pics.. However, I think using the milling machine will make easy work of it, just set up a fly cutter to slightly larger than the diameter of the gear and plunge it in to the correct depth.. It will take out what it needs, no more, no less, and eliminates the trail and error..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom