3RZ / 2RZ Swap Notes (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I got my new engine running this morning and everything looks good except the tach is not working.
I have a 1985 pickup that had a 22R engine in it and I have replaced it with a 2003 3RZ and used the ORS stand alone harness, also put in the 10K resistor.
I noticed from a Combination Meter and Gauge diagram, posted by @liveoak, that there is a wire on connector "A" number 6, that should go to the ignition coil from the tach but now it goes nowhere, do I need to connect this to something. Any other thoughts would be welcome.
Did you not have gauges with a tach prior to the swap? The tach output on the 3rz ECU is on the IK2 harness and should be light green with a black stripe. My thinking is that you would need to connect that to the A6 input on the Combo Meter.

Did you not have gauges with a tach prior to the swap? The tach output on the 3rz ECU is on the IK2 harness and should be light green with a black stripe. My thinking is that you would need to connect that to the A6 input on the Combo Meter.
I did previously have the tach, but looking further I see that the ignition module had been changed and I think somone just took the wire from A6 and put it directly on the Accel coil for a signal. I need to check with ORS but I might be able to run a new wire from the black wire on the ORS harness where it connects to the black wire from the original emission computer harness or maybe run the ORS wire directly to the tach.
Makes things a little tougher on these older vehicles when changes have been made

Many thanks for all you posts, It's been a wealth of info for me especially as I'm in CA

Can anyone sugest a good scan tool ODB2 reader, the one I currently have only reads pending and trouble codes and is currently showing 0,

Can anyone sugest a good scan tool ODB2 reader, the one I currently have only reads pending and trouble codes and is currently showing 0,
basically any cheap reader.
i recently picked up a scangauge. pretty happy.

i guess are you saying you have a check engine light on but it's showing no codes?

I asked the same question over in my neighborhood. Here are the answers.

I use a VeePeak bluetooth reader (like $20 on amazon) and OBDFusion. That app gives you access to all sensor data the ECU sees and you can customize a GUI exactly how you want. The caveat is that it takes a lot of work to customize a GUI with all the scaling needed to get the gauges how you want. The default dashboards suck IMO and need to be modified.

The Torque app seems to be a popular one for a bluetooth scanner. Any generic ELM (or something like that) will do as the hardware plug/dongle thing. The "pro" version of the Torque app gives you mode data in case the free version isn't enough.

View attachment 3607723

I also use the Torque app. I recommend getting Techstream.

basically any cheap reader.
i recently picked up a scangauge. pretty happy.

i guess are you saying you have a check engine light on but it's showing no codes?
No I do not have the check engine light on but I understand after the 3RZ engine swap I have to make sure that all the sensors are ready before I contact the referee.
Thanks for all the options guys

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom