2F SM465 Orion Write-up (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

NO!

The output shaft on the transmission is not nearly as long on the chevy trannys as a stock toyota tranny. The PTO idler gear and rear main bearing are no longer used the tcase! No power possible

Hey Advent , you could scrounge up the old A/A kit that had a replacement tail shaft for the 420 that was as long as the toyota so it uses the pto gear and the adapter clears and it is 2.25 in. long , Phil P has one runin a pto. Hard to find tho.

peesalot said:
Hey Advent , you could scrounge up the old A/A kit that had a replacement tail shaft for the 420 that was as long as the toyota so it uses the pto gear and the adapter clears and it is 2.25 in. long , Phil P has one runin a pto. Hard to find tho.

Yeah, but it sounds that by the time I'm done gathering parts and getting together, I'd have been better off with an H41.

You can also get a new pto gear for an SM420 or 465. Search around on the web, there are some manufacturers that still make them.

Advent said:
See, but again, I lose out there. I wouldn't get a 4 speed PTO out of it, and I might not even get a 2 directional PTO.

An H41's really my best bet, I think.

Why not get a ToyBox and double your gear selection and you can use the PTO winch. That is what i'm going to do next summer.

GreenWeeny78 said:
Why not get a ToyBox and double your gear selection and you can use the PTO winch. That is what i'm going to do next summer.

The rear driveline length scares me. 'Course, you're SOA, and going with it, so I guess it can't be *that* bad.

H41's cheaper than that, though. By about half, if you buy one of the refurbished ones from Spectre.

treeroot, this is great information and I really appriciate the write up on the fix and the thrust washer information. I just found a 465 yesterday and I should be picking it up this weekend. :D

mike

A bit of an update today. This is probably the 5th time I split the transfer case/transmission and dumped all my lube out so....it got fixed. Machined out the adapter to accept bolts instead of the conical hex bolts and will try that for awhile. Each time I take it apart the adapter plate bolts are either broken in half or finger tight. I just don't think they have the clamping force needed. I am also going to remove the transfer case support and let it hang off the transmission. There has been some debate that the rear brace prevents the assembly from moving under torque and was probably why me adapter ate it. The last pic is the before.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/merchandise-storefront/20446-sm465-6061-alum-early-t-case-bling.html
DSCF7930.jpg
DSCF7939.jpg
sm465plate.jpg

Last edited:
Hey Mike - the original link in this thread is broken. Did you move the write-up, or is it gone to the graveyard?

Hey Mike - the original link in this thread is broken. Did you move the write-up, or is it gone to the graveyard?

All better :)

Great to hear the success!

I've got the same issues as Mike had. Going to machine my plate adapter too. Need to get rid of the AA propeller crossmember, but with a V8 and aluminum bell housing I can't just hang the transmission and tcase off of the bell housing. I'll need a transmission crossmember. Been searching for ideas and I like the one nuclearlemon describes in this thread

https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/137593-sm465-cross-member-mount.html

Does anybody have any pics of this type of setup on an SM465? Any other ideas for a SM465 crossmember?

Thanks!
-scott

I am currently doing the same swap right now and am at the step of mating transmission to bellshousing but do not know where to go for the exhaust pipe that sleeves over the input shaft for the throwout bearing.

548530., where is this part number from, what part store has it on hand if any, any insight? This is the last step stopping me from installing.

It is an adapter; go to your auto parts store and look at their catalog for exhaust adapters...

1 3/8” ID & 1 1/2” OD

:meh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom