2F SM465 Orion Write-up (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

treerootCO

Where are my keys?!
Threads
Website
home.comcast.net
Just finished the 2F SM465 Orion write-up. Woody is fast as always and already has it linked in the tech section. I am going to add a parts list but for the most part, it is finished. Let me know what you think.

2F SM465 Orion Write-up

:)

Woody, how did you find that so fast? I linked to it about two minutes before your PM came through.

Last edited by a moderator:
my sitemeter program....it tells me the last 100 referrals, and that page came up as like #60 or so....

I'm sneaky that way :flipoff2:

Write up looks good.

:beer:

Nordlock..

What is holding the larger washer to the gear? Does it have a little tooth on it, preventing it from turning?

very nice write up! This is going to be very useful as this combo gains popularity.

Thank you,
David

Treeroot,
your write-ups are first rate and professional. Thanks for the good stuff!

:beer:
good stuff

I need to make me one of them xmembers, 420 is all over the place

Also let me know if you want to start building a "core" skid. I drove over some large rocks were breakover counted and hit my stocker pretty hard, think it is time to got to the ME lab for some late nights :)

Poser said:
...Nordlock..

What is holding the larger washer to the gear? Does it have a little tooth on it, preventing it from turning?

120 foot pounds and red Locktight. The input gear has a small lip on it and if I clamped down on that lip without using the fender washer, it pressed the gear on too far. Everything is clamped so tight that nothing should spin. I see what you mean about the Nordlock not being as effective clamped to a washer that could potentially spin but I think even without it, the whole assembly should stay tight. We will see. The roll pin idea that the SM420 guys run wasn't possible because the output shaft and the input gear are flush with each other.

Awesome write up Treeroot. Install looks super clean as always. I'm putting it on my 'someday' list.

Made some new stickers for the beast :)
orioninside.jpg

Nice writeup!

Today is Monday and my back, arms and shoulders hurt like hell! Why? A couple of gracious buddies and I installed an Orion and Australian Land Cruiser 4-speed, AKA the H41(1st gear of 4.95: 1) into my '78 FJ40. One hell of a job, expecially as we did the install with no cherry picker. Instead we used some strong straps, clever knots, snatch block, some rock climbing tools and a ton of grunt to get that HEAVY baby into place. Phew, that's a job I would not want to do every day! Today I will finish up: gas tank back, cover in, seats back, install custom console, heavy drive shafts etc. Then comes the fuild, clutch ajustment and test drive. Hopefully all will go well. Looking forward to a crawl of 98:1( I run with 4.88 gears) and yet still have a nice shifting LC tranny. Won't be as low as the SM465 but I did not have to add adapters or cross members etc.

Max

you hung the orion off a standard toyota mount with no A/A propeller style in the back ? :eek:

whenever I install my 420, I use a poor mans cherry picker, come-a-long through the tanny tunnel to the rafters in the garage. Makes it a one may job. easy pessy

bustanutley said:
whenever I install my 420, I use a poor mans cherry picker, come-a-long through the tanny tunnel to the rafters in the garage. Makes it a one may job. easy pessy

It's a two man job....you do all the work and I come over and give you crap about it :flipoff2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom