2F cop Motor from Mosley Motors or Cummins 2.8 Diesel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

JDNs78FJ40

SILVER Star
Threads
I know I'm going to need to replace or rebuild my tired 2F sooner than later. It's not a daily driver year round but I really enjoy driving it as much as I can depending on weather and would like a little more performance. Money is definitely top of mind but curious what the pros and cons are of each motor? I could install the 2F cop motor myself but would probably have to pay to have the 2.8 installed. Do both engines work well with the H55F transmission.

I know I'm going to need to replace or rebuild my tired 2F sooner than later. It's not a daily driver year round but I really enjoy driving it as much as I can depending on weather and would like a little more performance. Money is definitely top of mind but curious what the pros and cons are of each motor? I could install the 2F cop motor myself but would probably have to pay to have the 2.8 installed. Do both engines work well with the H55F transmission.
2F all the way with a Snper EFI kit.

What's nice is I already have the Sniper and use it on the tired 2F and it seems to work very well.
What's also nice about the new 2F is you buy a rebuildable core (which apparently costs an arm and a leg now whereas people used to scrap them left and right when doing 350 swaps and you could get them free) and then have it built while still enjoying your 40 with the old tired 2F. Then it's a weekend swap and break in and you're smiling ear to ear. I think you can have a nice hot rod 2F motor for under $10k all in. You're probably looking at $15-$20k with cost of new stuff, adapters, and paying someone to swap the 2.8? Redline also offers hot rod 2F motors:

edit: Ok. I read all the way to the bottom of the redline page and they say $18k for the 2F hot rod. oooofff. no thanks. I thought I read somewhere that the Mosely COP motor was less than half that? I can have someone build me a 700hp NA stroked LS3 for less thank $18k, not that I'd want one in a cruiser.

I recently had a 1976 2F rebuilt by Cam for my 1972 FJ40. I also got the Sniper kit from him. Put them both in by myself in a small garage. I could have used some more room but it was manageable and more importantly everything fit perfectly and ran well after I debugged a mistake I made with the sniper. Been driving it on short trips around the neighborhood etc. to break the motor in and let the sniper learn. This motor is a beast. The pickup when I get on it is really impressive for the motor it is. I would have Cam do it again in a minute. Now with monitored maintenance I'll have a great motor for years to come. Highly recommend!

Good idea on sending in a core while you still have a running motor. Cam is a small operation as are all of the shops he uses for the heads, blocks, cams. Quality takes time

What's also nice about the new 2F is you buy a rebuildable core (which apparently costs an arm and a leg now whereas people used to scrap them left and right when doing 350 swaps and you could get them free) and then have it built while still enjoying your 40 with the old tired 2F. Then it's a weekend swap and break in and you're smiling ear to ear. I think you can have a nice hot rod 2F motor for under $10k all in. You're probably looking at $15-$20k with cost of new stuff, adapters, and paying someone to swap the 2.8? Redline also offers hot rod 2F motors:

edit: Ok. I read all the way to the bottom of the redline page and they say $18k for the 2F hot rod. oooofff. no thanks. I thought I read somewhere that the Mosely COP motor was less than half that? I can have someone build me a 700hp NA stroked LS3 for less thank $18k, not that I'd want one in a cruiser.
yeah, I saw the 18K starting price tag and that is pure insanity. Hopefully Cam has some openings in the next year or so for one of his. My biggest issue with my current 2f, aside from lack of power, is I'm burning oil. I'm replacing the valve stem seals this weekend and hopefully that will eliminate some of the smoke and if so then I will avoid any type of incline until I get a HP 2F... Thanks everyone!

I recently had a 1976 2F rebuilt by Cam for my 1972 FJ40. I also got the Sniper kit from him. Put them both in by myself in a small garage. I could have used some more room but it was manageable and more importantly everything fit perfectly and ran well after I debugged a mistake I made with the sniper. Been driving it on short trips around the neighborhood etc. to break the motor in and let the sniper learn. This motor is a beast. The pickup when I get on it is really impressive for the motor it is. I would have Cam do it again in a minute. Now with monitored maintenance I'll have a great motor for years to come. Highly recommend!
Great info!

I'm going 2.8

Efficiency being the main reason. I want some range.

Drop off with a tired 2F, pick up with a 2.8, and $33k lighter. That's also adding power steering.

I already have a 55 and a split case.

I figure parts if I were to do it myself would be dead minimum $16k. I have zero time to do an install though. I would be a little over my head, but nothing I couldn't figure out. It would take me a really long time to get it done.

I'm going 2.8

Drop off with a tired 2F, pick up with a 2.8, and $33k lighter. That's also adding power steering.

I figure parts if I were to do it myself would be dead minimum $16k. I have zero time to do an install though. I would be a little over my head, but nothing I couldn't figure out. It would take me a really long time to get it done.
Nice. Who is doing the work?

I'm going 2.8

Please pass on the 2F to a cruiser head in need! (not for free, but don't just give it to the shop)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom