2f Carb Tuning - Timing - and Vacuum Routing for Desmog (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@dannyvp I’ll try to help you w/ a list of what to buy. I think very little is going to help your truck run well w/o a bunch of valves. I hope they will be the thing that does it.
You need two VCVs. You can buy them from a dealer brand new, the Lexus 80’s series (I believe that one) uses them. I got my parts guy to give it to me for $66 but they go for $99 (blue is new) or used for $10 (the white one is used in my pics) from cruiserparts in NH but it’s a gamble it’ll work and w/o a mityvac to test it your SOOL. I was buying a whole bunch of components like you’ll need when I realised how rednecked my truck was.
You’ll need a tee from Napa and three port tee, I’m pretty sure I got from the dealer as it’s 6mm on two sides and a 3mm on the perpendicular side. A bunch of 6mm and 3mm vacuumhose, get it from Boostcontroller.com
I’ll also find a bunch of photos from my city racer setup and I’ll add but it will take me a little time as everything is out of my engine bay right now.

9014DF36-A81E-427C-A6EE-F14CBF7686F3.jpeg

28BD8232-1AA7-44D5-A10C-54EA84DC4E39.jpeg

A7F65712-9C8D-4781-A00C-45AFEEB5A570.jpeg

12AE5B88-2D6E-4E1D-8BE9-C75BCA66E4E4.jpeg

8E7F796C-898E-497C-AA24-5263C67B0554.jpeg

Last edited:
Here you go... I even started the thread when I got mine.

Here you go... I even started the thread when I got mine.

Great I appreciate it. I’ll start looking it over!

#38 @Comet in the City Racer Carb thread states he removed almost all smog components. Diagram #47 he followed. @Comet would you be able to help this guy out? Total newbie so he needs good pictures as you explain. I am curious, how has that setup worked thus far?

My old carb was leaking fuel. It had also had a fire at some time. The wires and plug were melted pretty bad. I replaced it for that reason.

The idle solenoid is actually on the City Racer carb. All it needs is switched 12v.

Great I appreciate it. I’ll start looking it over!

I have no idea how i missed this thread. I've been reading everything i could find for the last week on Fuji Carbs trying to figure this out. Your thread may have all my answers!

Looks like city racer has them.

#38 @Comet in the City Racer Carb thread states he removed almost all smog components. Diagram #47 he followed. @Comet would you be able to help this guy out? Total newbie so he needs good pictures as you explain. I am curious, how has that setup worked thus far?

Changes I made worked great. Truck has been sold though so no hands on experience or pictures. I do have both routings in the Buster Brown thread that I drew on paper. My mechanic only made one change and routed the vacuum on the outside nipple on the distributor.

Buster Brown link. Response #40, 49, and 50. Dizzy advance in 50 just switch the vacuum hose and cap orientation. JimC has all the goodies for a smog delete. The rubber stopper is replaced with a sweet brass job. Spend the little bit of money on this stuff, it really cleans up the bay and decreases confusion.

I just ordered the VCV's from CityRacer. I'll stop by Napa and get some t's and 6mm hose. I have the Toyota 3mm hose already.

I just ordered the VCV's from CityRacer. I'll stop by Napa and get some t's and 6mm hose. I have the Toyota 3mm hose already.

hi Danny ,

d0 u by chance have one of these yes , 1981 edition 2F ?

like i mentioned when we spoke by phone , starting from the beginning , system by system , route by route

with page one and Verifying and Confirming each chapter's Contents

till the last page of book , is going tho yield wonders and find missing or miss-routed hoses , Remember

the PO did the Doe-Smog , Not you , so u have to assume it's parts of your issues and problems .

i looked hard and i dont have a spare copy to lend , but its here on MUD f0r sure

if u take this step by step , page by page approach , the repair and remedy will be far LESS overwhelming and

lead to a quicker . faster overall repair .

I will be happy do donate any spare parts i have to the cause , that are missing that u need that i have

including as many 3mm Vacuum hose kits as u need to make up for what u dont have currently

i can also snap a photos of a certain page from the 1981 emissions 2F manual if need be , but i suggest biting the

bullet on the baby fro SOR.COM , you will be much better off with a full copy over your fender as you work to pin-

point your Correct House Routing

as @Racer65 mentions its very doubtful is a " Made in Japan '" New Carburetor out of the Box issue , rather a PO

De-Smog one yet to corrected and discovered one

feel free to call my shop HOT-Line any time Danny i will help out in any way i can

fyi; vacuum hose Kits contain

x1 650mm

x 1 240mm

x1 steel 3mm vacuum T

your welcome to as many kit's as u need ( i have several Hundred at your disposal :grinpimp: ) to remedy your drivability & Idle issues and missing possible parts needs

just let me know ,

kindly ,
matt

DSCN9854.JPG
DSCN9855.JPG
DSCN9857.JPG
DSCN9858.JPG
DSCN9859.JPG

d0 u by chance have one of these yes , 1981 edition 2F ?

I have an electronic version of that. I was missing so much stuff it made it hard to follow.

So i have 2 VCV's from Cityracer coming, I however do NOT have BVSV plugs. Am i going to need one of those? or can that hose come from the advancer port in the above dia.

Comet has some sketches where he got around it, in his buster brown thread. I'll copy them over.

Try advancing the timing a little to see if you can pick up more vacuum. I have a feeling that a de'smogged truck may need this. Hey you can always put it back. I removed my smog pump and plugged my air rail when I replaced my cylinder head. After setting the timing on the mark it was still a bit low. I noticed the temp gauge would go up during low idle and after turning the truck off after it was at op temps. Advancing it a little helped and I wonder if it will help your vacuum readings.

This may help some problems but if you don't have a recurved dizzy you may find other problems arise at running RPMs and find a need to recurve. Notice the 3rd vacuum reading in this image.

1563976691059.png

Try advancing the timing a little to see if you can pick up more vacuum. I have a feeling that a de'smogged truck may need this. Hey you can always put it back. I removed my smog pump and plugged my air rail when I replaced my cylinder head. After setting the timing on the mark it was still a bit low. I noticed the temp gauge would go up during low idle and after turning the truck off after it was at op temps. Advancing it a little helped and I wonder if it will help your vacuum readings.

This may help some problems but if you don't have a recurved dizzy you may find other problems arise at running RPMs and find a need to recurve. Notice the 3rd vacuum reading in this image.

View attachment 2038210
After I get the new vcv valves installed, this maybe needed.
Do you know anything about recurving a dizzy?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom