2020-2021 HE Used Market - Insane Prices (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Don't buy the warranty dude! Supercharge the motor and do your own oil changes. My warranty runs for quite a while yet with free oil changes but the dealers will not get a chance to screw up my rig. And they would freak when they see the SC and aux tank.

Pass on the warranty IMHO unless they throw a Toyota warranty (not third party) in for free. Best of luck, hope you end up bringing it home.

I agree with what the other guys are saying, to a point. I saw someone post with a 2016 out of warranty that had the nav screen go out.... Ran them 7k. Also, I favor reliability so no super charger for me.... So now engine, radiator, and drive train will be less in question. However, in well headed down the mod route.

I'll be lucky if I put on 5-8k miles in a year so it's more about insuring my losses. Pick an amount of stuff that routinely breaks in 10 years. For me, I was fine with 3k.... Knowing sensors and electronics add up fast. I think low or no deductible.

Wow, 78k is a steal.

You guys are making me think twice. My decent deal at 93k doesn’t seem so decent anymore, lol.

CharlieS - no need to be jealous. I’m definitely not made of money. It’s a big purchase for me. I just love the LC200 and figure this is the last opportunity to get a relatively new one.
I got mine in August '19. Deposited before it arrived at the dealership. $77k
Drum roll please...
In Montana, zero sales tax. Thank you so very much. So glad I kept my house there.
To the point of this thread, and "value"
These are worth it for a reason(s).

I paid exact MSRP + 200 for my 2021 LX a month ago(just little over 100). It was couple month wait for exact color combo I wanted. Yes, prices crazy comparing to 2020, but I sold 2 of my other cars for ~15-20k extra comparing to 2020 prices, so it is new reality and overall it came up as better deal. Dealer had almost same car 2020 with 20k for 90k but to me getting new one was better deal.

Quick update. I went back to the dealer today. Told the saleslady I'm interested, but could she please throw in the Toyota Platinum warranty and I'll sign right away. She immediately went from friendly to rude. Saying they already reduced the price and "it's a Land Cruiser, no one is even negotiating on these, and no way can they give me anything else in the deal."

She began to roll her eyes at me, then said she needs an answer right away since she's leaving at 5pm. It was 4:50pm at the time, so I said why don't we just talk tomorrow. Then she said, well I need a yes or no today, otherwise the deal is probably off the table. And asking me why I visited the dealership twice, but I'm still undecided on whether I want to buy it.

Her whole attitude rubbed me the wrong way. So I told the sales manager this is no way to treat a customer that's about to buy a $93k vehicle. He gave me a half ass apology and said he would still like to earn my business.

It's probably a decent deal and I'm still considering buying it, but partly I'm not sure I even want to do business with them at this point. I know there are some good ones out there, but a lot of car salespeople can be really s***ty. Anyway, end of rant.

Last edited:
Sadly that type of attitude is a lot more common these days than one thinks. If you want the vehicle buy it and move on from that dealer, it's that simple. If you're set on it for that price go in there tomorrow and buy it and be done.

Car salesman will be a thing of the past soon.

I get where you are coming from. Everything happens for a reason. Check the classifieds again tonight. However, if you're set on that exact truck, I'd consider revisiting the dealer and offering cost if you're set on the warranty, but don't bring it up until you're in the finance room when they hit you with it. You can always buy it later from another dealer if you change your mind. They'll likely sell it soon. You can gamble and see if it lasts the weekend which tells you where you stand. It's a big purchase for you, so try to stay calm and make the decision with your head not your heart.

Why? Dealers have done a great job protecting their s***ty business practices with laws that they lobbied for. I haven’t heard of any large scale movement toward a more consumer friendly business model.

I hope so. Buying via the Internet, covid risks reducing dealership traffic, and lack of inventory may have a lot of salespersons sitting around twiddling their thumbs. Management is sure to note the resulting payroll drag on cash flow. Even used cars are now readily available through online businesses offering delivery, so you can buy pretty much whatever you want without talking to a salesperson. The current business model as experienced by @goodnightnyc and most of us needs to change and I think that will come via the financial aspects of operating a dealership.

The open market doesn’t work when bad businesses are protected by laws.

This is worth a listen, even if it’s approaching nine years old. Not much has changed.

$93k for a HE sounds like a solid price in this market. I'm over here debating paying $105k for a HE w/3rd row and 10k miles tomorrow... I want it, can afford it, but also don't like buying at all time highs.

$93k for a HE sounds like a solid price in this market. I'm over here debating paying $105k for a HE w/3rd row and 10k miles tomorrow... I want it, can afford it, but also don't like buying at all time highs.
If you're going to pay 105k, here's a '21 HE w/3rd row and only 1k miles for the same price. Also located in CO.

Last edited:
If you really want the cruiser, I’d take the deal. I just sold my 2021 black HE 2-row (4,800 miles) to Carmax for 100k flat - although the local dealers were only offering 85-90k. There’s a large discrepancy between NADA (80k) and KBB (100k). Not a bad deal considering I bought it new for 82k back in October 2020. I’m planning on buying a gently used cruiser in 3-4 years when car prices have come back to some normalcy. Good luck!!

I will also note the land cruiser is the best vehicle I have ever driven. It’s like a tank with some give in the suspension to make it a plush ride. No other vehicle provides that feeling with stellar reliability. Just for me, financially speaking, it made the most amount of sense to buy used when the opportunity presents itself.

Quick update. I went back to the dealer today. Told the saleslady I'm interested, but could she please throw in the Toyota Platinum warranty and I'll sign right away. She immediately went from friendly to rude. Saying they already reduced the price and "it's a Land Cruiser, no one is even negotiating on these, and no way can they give me anything else in the deal."

She began to roll her eyes at me, then said she needs an answer right away since she's leaving at 5pm. It was 4:50pm at the time, so I said why don't we just talk tomorrow. Then she said, well I need a yes or no today, otherwise the deal is probably off the table. And asking me why I visited the dealership twice, but I'm still undecided on whether I want to buy it.

Her whole attitude rubbed me the wrong way. So I told the sales manager this is no way to treat a customer that's about to buy a $93k vehicle. He gave me a half ass apology and said he would still like to earn my business.

It's probably a decent deal and I'm still considering buying it, but partly I'm not sure I even want to do business with them at this point. I know there are some good ones out there, but a lot of car salespeople can be really s***ty. Anyway, end of rant.

This is why i don't shop at Toyota. I tried to (and did) test drive a 4 runner once a while back and after that lovely experience I swore it right off for good. It would take a personal referral for me to even think about it.

Why? Dealers have done a great job protecting their s***ty business practices with laws that they lobbied for. I haven’t heard of any large scale movement toward a more consumer friendly business model.

This is why a Tesla or any non traditional purchase will be our next move for the wifes car. Other than to obviously offset our gasoline dependancy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom