Builds 2018 GCC Spec 79 Series 1HD-FTE + H152 - The Camel (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Epic Build...

Things going on,

The factory cup holder! 😆

A03362D9-ACD6-4C3E-8061-4968A7A2D882.jpeg

Stereo stuff, besides the head unit John got we have some 6.5” Focals in the doors and some 3.5” in the dash. Sub is a compact unit with built in amp, 8” in size. Doors had no wiring so we had to pull them off, drill holes, run speaker wire and fit grommets.

0D3EEC81-8750-436B-9D3E-E95C9377C022.jpeg

3A10AA11-AE65-4875-83DD-D483E9F92FE4.jpeg

Cheers

Hump day post!

Should I spill all the beans? Probably not! I will spill some though.

GR gauge cluster is a no go. We have everything working in it besides tach, speedo and coolant temp. 2017+ 70-series things get more complicated than previous years. The Cruisers are partial can bus from then on. I believe they are full can bus 2021+ but not positive on that. Anyways the coolant sensor on a 1GR gets a pulse signal through the 1GR ECU which then provides signal to the gauge. We have found a custom application product for v8 swaps in say FJCruisers to get the temp gauge to work with the right signal. However the signal we will send to this unit being an FTE is not the same as a LS3 that the product is configured for. IE, no go. We have a tach converter but running into the same kind of problems. Basically the same for speedo, supplying the signal the the cluster it needs is not happening.

Solution; dump the GR79 cluster and go to a HZJ79 cluster. We believe after a lot of research and trouble shooting that will solve all our probs. HZJ79 double fuel tank cluster has been ordered.

It is possibly going to take 45-60 days to get the new cluster. John has decided to do a few upgrades while we wait. The Cruiser is scheduled to go to the interior shop on April 10th. We are getting a custom panel made for the location behind the seats on the cab back Toyota left raw painted metal. We want to hide the sound deadening and a few other purposes to the panel as well.

I will let John spill any other beans or let pics do the talking as things progress.

We are certainly to the end of the build but some final details are happening before we call it a done deal.

Cheers

The clusters are a trick. ian, do you have the third connection to harness (fits small blue on cluster 2017 an later) or not? I have a 2012 harness and while the 2017+ cluster for hzj operates the tach, certain things don’t work with my harness. Biggest issue is turn signal blows 15 amp fuse when actuated. Fuel gauges did not work.

I am searching for twin tank -tach hzj cluster for “2012”. Right now using 2010 vdj which only have minor issues apart from tach.

The clusters are a trick. ian, do you have the third connection to harness (fits small blue on cluster 2017 an later) or not? I have a 2012 harness and while the 2017+ cluster for hzj operates the tach, certain things don’t work with my harness. Biggest issue is turn signal blows 15 amp fuse when actuated. Fuel gauges did not work.

I am searching for twin tank -tach hzj cluster for “2012”. Right now using 2010 vdj which only have minor issues apart from tach.

Yes we have the blue plug. Pre-17 and or 24v (super rare) don’t have the blue plug. Blue plug is for turn signals and maybe high beams. Older style uses a traditional flasher unit and relay, 2017+ it is integrated into the cluster and its board.

I easily found basic spec 2008 to 2012ish that don’t have the blue plug. So if that is the cluster you need send me a pm and I will send you links to these clusters, single tank and double.

And yes there are dozens of clusters across the HZJ, VDJ, GR 79’s both single and double cab since 2008. HZJ should be the most basic of the three.

Cheers

Hump day post!

Should I spill all the beans? Probably not! I will spill some though.

GR gauge cluster is a no go. We have everything working in it besides tach, speedo and coolant temp. 2017+ 70-series things get more complicated than previous years. The Cruisers are partial can bus from then on. I believe they are full can bus 2021+ but not positive on that. Anyways the coolant sensor on a 1GR gets a pulse signal through the 1GR ECU which then provides signal to the gauge. We have found a custom application product for v8 swaps in say FJCruisers to get the temp gauge to work with the right signal. However the signal we will send to this unit being an FTE is not the same as a LS3 that the product is configured for. IE, no go. We have a tach converter but running into the same kind of problems. Basically the same for speedo, supplying the signal the the cluster it needs is not happening.

Solution; dump the GR79 cluster and go to a HZJ79 cluster. We believe after a lot of research and trouble shooting that will solve all our probs. HZJ79 double fuel tank cluster has been ordered.

It is possibly going to take 45-60 days to get the new cluster. John has decided to do a few upgrades while we wait. The Cruiser is scheduled to go to the interior shop on April 10th. We are getting a custom panel made for the location behind the seats on the cab back Toyota left raw painted metal. We want to hide the sound deadening and a few other purposes to the panel as well.

I will let John spill any other beans or let pics do the talking as things progress.

We are certainly to the end of the build but some final details are happening before we call it a done deal.

Cheers
Swampers for sure.

E2749333-10C5-42F6-8CC7-EDC88054E849.jpeg

Maybe a 33x15.5r15 SS. That would really finish this build off nicely. Wheel spacers too!

@bottombracket had a 2017+ HZJ79 double tank newish (8kms on it) cluster he sent us.

573BA307-2DDA-4DD3-AACB-53B88E017121.jpeg

It works!

More to come...

Cheers

@jomelo drive that 79 up to Texas and I’ll buy the beer.

@wngrog I’m gonna ship that green turd down to Tilda Bogue, it’s really special.

Ran it around the block this morning once we had the cluster working.

EGT gauge

Hand throttle operation and first go on the HZJ79 cluster.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom