2007 LC “VX” (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

yeah Uhu has it backwards, shorten the link to raise the vehicle

I’ve been on the horn all morning and can’t find anyone who is able to scan this thing today, maybe tomorrow if I’m lucky. Everyone is busy and I’m deep in domestic car country.

I’m fairly confident that it is one of the front sensors but I wouldn’t be able to get those in hand for 2-3 days.

:meh:

@GTV if you're still waiting on TechStream, pick up this cable from Amazon and go to town with the instructions in the 'TechStream in 5 minutes' thread: Amazon product ASIN B087CZDF4H. At least in my area, the cable is in stock and available for Prime shipping.

I’ve been on the horn all morning and can’t find anyone who is able to scan this thing today, maybe tomorrow if I’m lucky. Everyone is busy and I’m deep in domestic car country.

I’m fairly confident that it is one of the front sensors but I wouldn’t be able to get those in hand for 2-3 days.

:meh:

Attached is an extract of the entire AHC Diagnostic section of the FSM – this runs for about 118 pages from a total of 5,988 pages in a consolidated version of the FSM.

This seems a bit daunting and some of the circuit diagrams are a bit dazzling.

To cut to the chase, it is worth a look at the PROBLEMS SYMPTOMS TABLE at Page 19. This Table gives an idea of what symptom relates to what problem (or problems).

Other useful pages also are listed below.

It is difficult to do much about some of the possible issues in a systematic way while on a long trip without tools and a scanner -- but the pages listed below by PDF page numbers may give some insights or help in deciding on a workaround which is sufficient to get home.

Page 1 – TROUBLE SHOOTING FLOW DIAGRAM

Page 11 – DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE CHART

Page 15 – PARTS LOCATION

Page 19 - PROBLEM SYMPTOMS TABLE

Page 22 – HEIGHT CONTROL SENSOR CIRCUIT

Note description of “Fail safe function”:
“If a trouble occurs in the height control sensor circuit, the height control is prohibited after the ECU has adjusted the vehicle height to the standard (fluid pressure correspond to the standard height)”.

Other conditions also can cause a ‘fail-safe’ response – sometimes simple, like widely different Height Control Sensor outputs or other conflicting signals from other sensors, or sometimes the cause arises from a deeper (and usually rarer) component problem. Not always does a scan reveal helpful Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC's) and so the Problem Symptoms Table and the knowledge of others can be very helpful.

Page 24 – Check output value of height control sensor
(Handheld = Techstream or other scanner).

Page 25 – Check height control sensor
(Also see diagrams here. The FSM method uses 3 x 1.5 Volt AA or AAA cells to simulate input voltage applied to the sensor when in the vehicle and then specifies the output Voltage at the Height Control Sensor potentiometer at a range of angles which in turn correspond to a range of heights. The output Voltage is the signal read by the ECU unit which in turn determines actions by the AHC system. In an earlier post in this thread, uHu has described some very helpful ‘health checks’ of the Height Control Sensors by measuring resistance in Ohms rather than measuring potentiometer output Voltages. This is very handy -- needs only a multimeter and does not require the FSM battery arrangement. The diagrams on page 25 show the terminal numbers mentioned by uHu).

…. and so this Extract goes on.

Another FSM source can be found at https://lc100e.github.io/manual/. This provides details relevant to particular LC100 models, year of manufacture, and country of destination. Very useful.

The Members of IH8MUD are a fantastic resource to interpret all this information and add personal knowledge and experience to it.

Anyway, we are following your plight and recovery from all around the world -- best wishes for a safe trip home!!

Attachments

• lc100-workshop-manual-AHC-extract.pdf
    2.7 MB · Views: 333
Re measuring sensors:
At the plug at the top of the fender, pin 1 (top left if you look at the holes/contacts with the lock at the top) is the center of the potentiometer, and should have half of the total resistance at N height. The total resistance is somewhere between 4 and 5 kOhm between pins 2 and 3. 8 k Ohm is probably too much and translates to a bad sensor, corrosion or wear. So, at Normal height, you should see nearly the same reading at pins 1-2 as at 1-3, somewhere between 2 and 2.5 k Ohms.

You opened up the left sensor, but suspected the right sensor. Now you know what a good sensor looks like, maybe check the right hand side as well?

For adjusting height, you have to shorten extend the link for lowering the height. (at the rear you move the link down in the slot to lower it).

There is a new post with good pics of sensors and links in the huge ahc-thread, here.

@uHu : As an electrical novice, can you clarify which two points I should be measuring resistance on to check the health of the sensor? On my multimeter, the only time I'm getting a reading to stay on the screen is between the bottom pin and top right pin (with lock tab at the top). That number is 4.56 and I have my Ohms setting at max of 20k. If I put either the ground (black) or red into Pin 1 (as you described it) and anywhere else, I only get a reading in the 1.5XX-1.8XX range that flashes for a second then goes away.

@GTV : Which two pins did you use to measure resistance for the sensor? I attempted using Pin 1 (top left) and then the others but didn't get any readings. I'm attempting this now and unsure which to check! Sounds like we're probably in the same boat, I think I'll probably be ordering a new sensor since I know that prior to this I had good neutral pressures and good fluid.

@uHu : As an electrical novice, can you clarify which two points I should be measuring resistance on to check the health of the sensor? On my multimeter, the only time I'm getting a reading to stay on the screen is between the bottom pin and top right pin (with lock tab at the top). That number is 4.56 and I have my Ohms setting at max of 20k. If I put either the ground (black) or red into Pin 1 (as you described it) and anywhere else, I only get a reading in the 1.5XX-1.8XX range that flashes for a second then goes away.
That means than the center (variable resistance) contact (#1) has no connection. This will be due to one out of three reasons: 1 - cable broken, 2 - bad contact in the tiny coil spring between the back (plug) of the sensor and the lid where the resistor carbon trace is, or 3 - no contact between carbon traces through the sliding spring contact (this slider probably has a better name even), either because of a worn out spring slider or a worn out carbon trace.
Could be time for a new sensor, maybe a 22 $ Dorman unit if the linkages are OK?

That means than the center (variable resistance) contact (#1) has no connection. This will be due to one out of three reasons: 1 - cable broken, 2 - bad contact in the tiny coil spring between the back (plug) of the sensor and the lid where the resistor carbon trace is, or 3 - no contact between carbon traces through the sliding spring contact (this slider probably has a better name even), either because of a worn out spring slider or a worn out carbon trace.
Could be time for a new sensor, maybe a 22 $ Dorman unit if the linkages are OK?

Thanks @uHu : Seems like all roads point to bad FL sensor. I'll replace that and see where we stand. I;'m hoping it's just the sensor and not the harness as dealer quoted a pretty high price for the harness (sensor is $75ish). Connections on both the sensor and fender end of the wiring look pretty intact, no corrosion etc.

Will be sure to keep everyone posted, hopefully between @GTV and I we can get sorted out!

Hey ya’ll, LONG story short I got a couple of used front ride height sensors in there and everything was happy. I’ll go into greater detail soon but I’ve got bigger problems right now...

In Yellowstone currently. Cruising along at 45-ish mph all of the sudden the ABS, VSC TRAC, VSC OFF, BRAKE lights go on and the noise maker from under the dash goes on.

Unplugged the noise maker. Did a little troubleshooting and felt/heard the ABS MTR1 and ABS MTR2 relays clicking in the fuse box. Traded it with the AHC relay right next to it (same part #) and nothing changed. Drove it to find some cell service and the brake pedal boost went away, and came back, and went away again.

I’m going to start searching the forum now but if anyone has advice or knows of a link to give me a head start I’d really appreciate it.

Last edited:
The auto repair shop in Yellowstone put their scanner on it, 3 codes for the master cylinder pressure sensor and 3 for the master cylinder. Fluid level is also slightly above max.

Pretty sure I know what all this points to.

It's not that much work to remove the complete master, the biggest part of it is to bleed brakes afterwards. You have to contort yourself a bit tho, to get to the nuts under the dash. With the master off, it's easy to check the motor for wear. It could be that it is full of porridge from overflowing brake fluid reservoir, mixed with dust from brushes. Or you'll find the brushes or commutator worn out.

Reactions: GTV
Finally made it home. Took 2 cruisers to do it 😂
B8770334-DF8A-4CD9-A95A-31EAFEA6C125.jpeg

Ok, time to catch up a bit.
When I put post #42 up Monday morning I was feeling pretty stuck. Not long after that another 100 series guy (@Skape100) outside of Minneapolis contacted me via FB, he had the old but working AHC components from his ‘99 LX and even better he had techstream! So I threw all my stuff in my LC and hit the road towards Minneapolis.

The drive was rough. Really rough. Nose high, very stiff. Almost no suspension movement. Lots of bump steer. Not fun. I drove to Menomonie, WI, never going over 60mph.
7CE6AD00-ADA2-4099-8673-57976C9E07E7.jpeg

By the time I reached Menomonie the outside 1/3 of my tires were nearly bald. On the plus side I got 18.8mpg on my first tank! 😅
14AD9C8E-A484-44D3-A3D7-7381802E3193.png

The next morning I met up with the 100 series guy, ironically enough he is also a Zach G like yours truly. We hooked up techstream and found the passenger height sensor to be way out of spec, somewhere around 5.0-6.0 as I remember. I swapped in his old one and it came right down to spec but the drivers side was still too high (1.8). Swapped that sensor in and everything was happy! He also gave me his rear sensor, a nearly full bottle of AHC fluid and let me borrow his techstream cable to take with me. Wouldn’t take a dime, what a freakin legend. I got a first hand experience in “Minnesota Nice”.

After some errand running my buddy and I hit the road. LC was driving sweet, I could finally start to understand what all the 100 series fuss was about. We made it to Mitchell, SD and found a campsite in town. Drank a bunch of IPA’s, gazed at comet Neowise and talked about how insignificant our earthly quarrels are.

Last edited:
Next day we reached the Badlands.
84F8E499-240D-4421-BC3A-F93525A08F01.jpeg

Front end is too low from my previous adjusting. Makes it look like an overgrown Forester from the rear 3/4.
ED4AE505-3B73-4D92-B2FE-8779C32F1AB9.jpeg

We didn’t have a ton of time for lollygagging. So off to Mt Rushmore we went.
04D3EA29-ABC3-4FE2-B580-54656D57A48B.jpeg

And Crazy Horse. This is going to be incredible some day. Highly recommended.
6D3198D5-5AC7-463A-AFD5-5A0FF293F003.jpeg

After that we ate at the Firehouse Brewery in Rapid City and found camp somewhere in the Black Hills.

Last edited:
We woke early the next morning and had a refreshing wash in a lake near camp. Motored on to Devils Tower.
67CE9828-C995-4A22-ACCA-6CE5125D0091.jpeg
E109C426-79E0-4FC2-9E9C-A8D682E61CA1.jpeg

We marched westward across Wyoming. Found some absolutely stunning scenery near Dubois, WY. This colourful eroded rift went on for miles and miles. Totally unexpected. Just stunning.
D017585F-185D-49C8-BC56-B569A0736B37.jpeg

Further west we crossed the Togwotee Pass. Again, unexpected and totally different than what we just saw a few miles prior. Sorry for the crap pic on this one, trust me, it’s worth it!
8D116890-3BDB-4CB5-9A06-2BD5BD9B3FE3.jpeg

We arrived to the Tetons in the evening.
7918CC68-FD65-4205-9D3D-F7D17955DAB3.jpeg
E1EF9B7C-D82E-41DE-BB5D-9D1365CD05CE.jpeg

Finding a place to sleep, any legal place to sleep, was tough. The entire area was packed with people. Really stressful. Luckily my buddy knew a local that tipped us on this secret spot with the Tetons in view. Don’t even ask, I’m taking to the grave with me :)
B4814FC1-0762-4A30-A11B-77FD013FF84C.jpeg

We witnessed an equally terrifying and beautiful lighting storm in front of the Tetons shortly after making camp that night. A cool rain followed. Was a good day.

We woke at 5 the next day to try and get to the good stuff in Yellowstone before the masses did. Sunrise hitting the Tetons was incredible. What an imposing structure they are.
CA4EF629-C0F4-43C4-84EE-5684D49154EB.jpeg

Rolled into Yellowstone, I was really looking forward to this as I hadn't been there since I was about 12 years old or so. We saw some thermal pools and of course Old Faithful.
19F2E20E-3350-44A6-855A-84D64A70ACCE.jpeg

E3C7D7E6-E133-4620-8107-E6BDA8B9282C.jpeg

8FC4FCE5-22A9-4836-BBBA-B72D401B97AC.jpeg

2A9026B8-8951-4607-96B2-0F547A59231C.jpeg

After that, on our way to the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone, is when everything went to s***. More on that tomorrow.

Fantastic trip. Sounds like you had the true definition of an "adventure." Looking forward to the next plot twist.

Reactions: GTV

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom