Builds 2001 HZJ79 Ex-Fire Double Cab Build (12 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So a “yanker” and a “come hither” are one in the same? 😁
Nice 8274! Looks fairly new too... good score! Hope you got a deal on it! :cheers:
Owner said he had never used it and bought it off an old farmer that used it 3-4 times and it shows. It’s in great condition! Picked it up from a guy just down the street 😂

Nothing over the top finished lately on the truck but I did tackle removing the roof brackets and vented hooks on the roof. Bit of a hair cut I’d say. Dare I say the high top is growing on me 😄

Also finished off the hitch and now awaiting powder coat. Was able to fasten a small tab on the side for the water spigot.

Still waiting on the updated Albright solenoid for my Warn 8274 and will be headed across the border soon to pick up some recovery gear that I had sent to Oroville.

267A3F3A-201E-4A87-85D5-387DA6BBD154.jpeg

21545291-DEE4-482B-864C-94D77FA27918.jpeg

34A2D703-F646-4D6F-9F68-9BA9AFB94FC2.jpeg

7B8B4648-F701-4BDC-AFDD-D21394BBF598.jpeg

Nothing over the top finished lately on the truck but I did tackle removing the roof brackets and vented hooks on the roof. Bit of a hair cut I’d say. Dare I say the high top is growing on me 😄

Also finished off the hitch and now awaiting powder coat. Was able to fasten a small tab on the side for the water spigot.

Still waiting on the updated Albright solenoid for my Warn 8274 and will be headed across the border soon to pick up some recovery gear that I had sent to Oroville.

View attachment 3117735

View attachment 3117744

View attachment 3117746

View attachment 3117749
I enjoyed Oroville! Great spot!

High roof is growing on me too, honestly. The more I see them, the less I want to trim them down.

That 8274... ❤️

I vote to keep the high roof

And those are some sweet looking welds 😉

I enjoyed Oroville! Great spot!

High roof is growing on me too, honestly. The more I see them, the less I want to trim them down.

That 8274... ❤️
Ya it’s typically short and sweet in Oroville. Get what I came for and turn around and drive home.

Ugh I know. Not sure why it took me so long to trim them off. Literally took no time at all. Granted the patch is temporary. My only issue is the height of the roof for 2 reasons. Adding a rack and gear it gets tall and secondly adding an RTT to the canopy it will likely sit forward over the roofline a bit which isn’t possible with the high roof.

Ya it’s typically short and sweet in Oroville. Get what I came for and turn around and drive home.

Ugh I know. Not sure why it took me so long to trim them off. Literally took no time at all. Granted the patch is temporary. My only issue is the height of the roof for 2 reasons. Adding a rack and gear it gets tall and secondly adding an RTT to the canopy it will likely sit forward over the roofline a bit which isn’t possible with the high roof.

I picked up one of these because of the same concern... There are options! The bubble roof is becoming more an more realistic day by day :bounce:

For me I would prefer the top of a roof top tent be at the same hight as the main roof when folded down. The high top roof lends it self to this and still leaves room under it for other gear.

For me I would prefer the top of a roof top tent be at the same hight as the main roof when folded down. The high top roof lends it self to this and still leaves room under it for other gear.
Your right having the top of the tent be the same as the roof line would help with aerodynamics.

Still pretty torn. Have a local fab guy looking at it and hopefully get a quote to me. The reality is I’d rather the money go into a turbo/intercooler setup.

Your right having the top of the tent be the same as the roof line would help with aerodynamics.

Still pretty torn. Have a local fab guy looking at it and hopefully get a quote to me. The reality is I’d rather the money go into a turbo/intercooler setup.
Basically my same thinking. Cant just endlessly throw money at this thing... The forever build... Or can you? :giggle:

Basically my same thinking. Cant just endlessly throw money at this thing... The forever build... Or can you? :giggle:
Haha pretty sure I could find a way…. It’s not the worst addiction imo 😁

Saw this in traffic today...not the best looking, but a high-roof, roof rack is possible. You'll definitely need a ladder.

High-Roof - Roof Rack.JPG

Haha ya… no thanks! I’m sure I’d give it a haircut going through some drive through 😁

Hello,

Another place for an unexpected haircut is your garage door.

Many places, from parking lots to tunnels to garages, barely have enough clearance for a lifted truck, let alone a high-roof modification.

Some countries have metal frames on their roads to block access for vehicles above a certain height, for instance, two meters.

Juan

Hello,

Another place for an unexpected haircut is your garage door.

Many places, from parking lots to tunnels to garages, barely have enough clearance for a lifted truck, let alone a high-roof modification.

Some countries have metal frames on their roads to block access for vehicles above a certain height, for instance, two meters.

Juan
Hah ya I know a few folks who have driven into their garage with bikes on the roof. Never ends well.

So yeah needless to say the high roof is going. I will say it’s been nice when I have to throw my 2 year old in!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom