Builds 2001 HZJ79 Ex-Fire Double Cab Build (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just now noticed that your drivers door and passenger door doesn't have mirrors (only on each side of the fender). Are all cruisers equipped with the fender mount mirrors such, missing the door mirrors?

Just now noticed that your drivers door and passenger door doesn't have mirrors (only on each side of the fender). Are all cruisers equipped with the fender mount mirrors such, missing the door mirrors?
My 77 Series didn’t have door mounted mirrors. I added fisheye mirrors to the fender mounted setup. 😊
….. sorry for the hijack …..
435F2A10-4714-44E5-A651-4C8F836F9312.jpeg

My 77 Series didn’t have door mounted mirrors. I added fisheye mirrors to the fender mounted setup. 😊
….. sorry for the hijack …..

Makes sense. Things you only notice years later, lol.

Hah ya I know a few folks who have driven into their garage with bikes on the roof. Never ends well.

So yeah needless to say the high roof is going. I will say it’s been nice when I have to throw my 2 year old in!
Yeah I "know a guy" who hit his bikes on the garage door opening, a clothesline, and a few other things. He no longer puts bikes on the roof. 🤭

Shaving the roof down would also allow for a small rack on top as well, which could be handy sometimes...

Ya they are both fender mounted! One of the main differences in the RHD 70’s that distinguish a Japanese vs Aussie 70. I do have a pair of brand new OEM door mounted mirrors but won’t likely fit them until I paint. That being said I really done mind the fender mounted mirrors.

Yeah I "know a guy" who hit his bikes on the garage door opening, a clothesline, and a few other things. He no longer puts bikes on the roof. 🤭

Shaving the roof down would also allow for a small rack on top as well, which could be handy sometimes...
Hahaha we all “know a guy” with a similar story. You’d think he’d learn after the first 😁

Exactly. Low pro roofline allows for a roof rack that doesn’t have 3ft legs before you even get to the rack. Hah slight exaggeration but it would feel that tall.

Beautiful 77 BTW!! The fogs in the bumper. We’re they a custom install?
Yes sir. Did the same thing in the rear bumper. 😊
5CD2D895-6F71-4923-99CB-2C59687FC18F.jpeg

So pulled the trigger on the standard roof. Says it’s shipped. I am slightly worried to see what Fedex “surprise” charges will show.

Before winter flies I hope to have the interior vinyl floor finished off below the rear bench seat. Was able to score some near new and identical vinyl from a used Hiace.

Additionally did my second oil change on the 79 and it nearly used close to 11L of oil. Any others have the same experience? Most of the threads and manuals I have read say 9.3L (?without filter).

I seem to remember the fire truck versions got upgraded oil capacity and extra oil cooling, which might explain the 11L oil change. With that much capacity you should be able to do pretty long oil change intervals.

So pulled the trigger on the standard roof. Says it’s shipped. I am slightly worried to see what Fedex “surprise” charges will show.

Before winter flies I hope to have the interior vinyl floor finished off below the rear bench seat. Was able to score some near new and identical vinyl from a used Hiace.

Additionally did my second oil change on the 79 and it nearly used close to 11L of oil. Any others have the same experience? Most of the threads and manuals I have read say 9.3L (?without filter).
Hey Garret,

My 1HZ takes 11L of oil, but then the intervals are 10,000km's. Not sure when they started making the larger oil pans, but I would not be concerned about it. Be more concerned if it starts needing oil BETWEEN changes too.... :cheers:

I believe there are 3 options (perhaps more) for oil pans on a 1HZ.

Hey Garret,

My 1HZ takes 11L of oil, but then the intervals are 10,000km's. Not sure when they started making the larger oil pans, but I would not be concerned about it. Be more concerned if it starts needing oil BETWEEN changes too.... :cheers:
Haha your not wrong there!

I seem to remember the fire truck versions got upgraded oil capacity and extra oil cooling, which might explain the 11L oil change. With that much capacity you should be able to do pretty long oil change intervals.
Like Rigster said every 10,000 for him so that’s good. I too recall now reading about the increased oil capacity just don’t recall where.

There’s a sticker on my inner hood that says change every 10,000kms but then there is a log on the drivers side dash and it looks like they did the last one after 5,000kms. Odd.

Like Rigster said every 10,000 for him so that’s good. I too recall now reading about the increased oil capacity just don’t recall where.

There’s a sticker on my inner hood that says change every 10,000kms but then there is a log on the drivers side dash and it looks like they did the last one after 5,000kms. Odd.

Hello,

Maintenance schedules recommended changes every 5000 km / 3000 mi. Sometime around 2014 that changed to 10000 km / 6000 mi.

Whether it is due to improved engine design or better lubricant technology, I am not sure.

Juan

Hello,

Maintenance schedules recommended changes every 5000 km / 3000 mi. Sometime around 2014 that changed to 10000 km / 6000 mi.

Whether it is due to improved engine design or better lubricant technology, I am not sure.

Juan
My 2002 maintenance schedule say change oil every 10,000kms. But then it takes 11.5L oil.

Garret, it also says to change it every 12 months as well so I am guessing that for the fire truck they never make the mileage ceiling, and just changed it every 12 months.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom